Lunacycle Cargo Bike Info Request

ixandstones

10 mW
Hello,

I'm looking to build a lunacycle mid drive E-Bike with the LR big block. I wanted to ask some questions to make sure I'm not making any mistakes in some parts I'm getting.

1) Most important is the rohloff rear hub. I'm looking at getting the Speedhup 500/14 TS DB Standard (non tandem non OEM) is this the right unit for fixed bolt on and disc brakes for this bikes rear dropouts? Kind of confused on the whole OEM/OEM2/Standard thing.

2) Frame Size
Anyone that have a frame can send me some general dimensions? Luna says you need a long cable for brake and shifter but cannot tell me at least how long. Neither can they tell me if this frame is more on the medium or large size frame. I'm 6ft with very long legs and I'm wondering how high I will have to put the seat. (I normally use Large frames on MB).

3) Rack info
The racks looks entirely custom, non standard. Anyone can tell me what size panniers/bozes fit? Can I get cargo bike panniers or only standard?

4) Seat post diameter
Again nobody at luna seems to be able to tell me their seat post diameter. is it 27.2?

4) Front fork sizing
I hear the front fork dropouts are a non standard size (125mm) how about the Steer tube? What dimensions to look for replacement 1 1/8?

Thanks for any info. It seems Luna has made these forums their support site for this frame. All my emails to them have had "ask Endless Sphere" as a reply. You'd think they would know about their own product.

ixandstones said:
Hello,

I'm looking to build a lunacycle mid drive E-Bike with the LR big block. I wanted to ask some questions to make sure I'm not making any mistakes in some parts I'm getting.

1) Most important is the rohloff rear hub. I'm looking at getting the Speedhup 500/14 TS DB Standard (non tandem non OEM) is this the right unit for fixed bolt on and disc brakes for this bikes rear dropouts? Kind of confused on the whole OEM/OEM2/Standard thing.

2) Frame Size
Anyone that have a frame can send me some general dimensions? Luna says you need a long cable for brake and shifter but cannot tell me at least how long. Neither can they tell me if this frame is more on the medium or large size frame. I'm 6ft with very long legs and I'm wondering how high I will have to put the seat. (I normally use Large frames on MB).

3) Rack info
The racks looks entirely custom, non standard. Anyone can tell me what size panniers/bozes fit? Can I get cargo bike panniers or only standard?

4) Seat post diameter
Again nobody at luna seems to be able to tell me their seat post diameter. is it 27.2?

4) Front fork sizing
I hear the front fork dropouts are a non standard size (125mm) how about the Steer tube? What dimensions to look for replacement 1 1/8?

Thanks for any info. It seems Luna has made these forums their support site for this frame. All my emails to them have had "ask Endless Sphere" as a reply. You'd think they would know about their own product.

The seat tube diameter is 27.2mm
The front fork spacing fits my MXUS motor so it must be 135mm.

Ill take some measurements when i get home but its a big bike. Im 5.9 and im using 24 inch wheels. I have a thread so have a look at me sitting on the bike.

I used a Shimano brake with a 1700mm hose. It works but slightly on the short side.

Threaded Spindle, Disc Brake, Roholff, you may want the chain tensioner or chain guide to help chainline, also there is a left shifter option is your using a throttle.

Frame size, what measurements you want?

Rack is total custom, either Batman or ninja panniers would work

135mm front dropouts, I'm using Rockshox Totem forks, 1 1/8' steer tube, 20mm axle,

theres a few of these bikes detailed on here if you search a bit,

must have the 170mm bottom bracket with 3 shims from mike,

search for luna in canada for a few more details

my rear brake cable said extra long

have fun and post progress,

Thank you for the replies guys, it helps a lot.

Marin, when you say "Rohloff" after Disc brake you mean the standard option or the oem/oem2 option? Great tip on left shifter, will get that.

Top of seatpost clamp from floor is important to see how I wil fit on it. I got my answer for brake/shifter line length, thanks!

Now I just got to find a place that sells the magura mt5e brakes. :)

The oem options are for a factory specific rohloff mount. Some frames come this way.

The Luna frame is for standard threaded axle.

The floor to seat post clamp I can measure but I have 26" x 2.4 wheels/tires so bigger tires will be different.

bottom of bottom bracket shell to top of seatpost clamp, approx. 21 1/4" 0r 540 mm,

that was easier as the frame is on the stand,

Thanks for that, that's almost the same size as my large size framed bike (to a 1/4 inch difference). Looks like it will do nicely.

Will try to post pictures as things come together.

How do you guys protect your battery against theft? Does the metal box on luna lock/bolt shut or will I have to weld/drill something into place? I'm kind of worried people will take a $1000 battery.

ixandstones said:
Thanks for that, that's almost the same size as my large size framed bike (to a 1/4 inch difference). Looks like it will do nicely.

Will try to post pictures as things come together.

How do you guys protect your battery against theft? Does the metal box on luna lock/bolt shut or will I have to weld/drill something into place? I'm kind of worried people will take a $1000 battery.
It bolts shut.

Hello guys, planning to build something around the luna frame (if still available), wonder if anyone has the chainstay length measurement to share....
Thanks

OK the frame is finally here. How on earth do you remove the front forks from this thing? It seems the whole stem/forks are fused together with rust. The top bolt doesn't actually hold anything. I think I need to throw out the stem and get a new one that isn't rust coated. The front fork has no bolts attaching it to the stem, but they feel like they are welded together. So do I invest in a crowbar/saw cutter or is there a simpler way to take it off?

ixandstones said:
OK the frame is finally here. How on earth do you remove the front forks from this thing? It seems the whole stem/forks are fused together with rust. The top bolt doesn't actually hold anything. I think I need to throw out the stem and get a new one that isn't rust coated. The front fork has no bolts attaching it to the stem, but they feel like they are welded together. So do I invest in a crowbar/saw cutter or is there a simpler way to take it off?

Remove bars and bolts above and below headset and tap the stem down to remove.

Here it is off the bike.

4c079ee53fe060625f3e859e1775ec64.jpg

panurge said:
Hello guys, planning to build something around the luna frame (if still available), wonder if anyone has the chainstay length measurement to share....
Thanks
7432f6e2e4e3be726816783afd6ce658.jpg

Chainstay length is center of BB spindle to center of rear axle.

With this bike mechanic stuff I learn something new everyday. Thanks, I'll redo the pic.

this is from a question you asked on another thread,

ixandstones wrote:
bowhunter29 wrote:The two braces that the drive sits against were out of square and too wide so the bottom plate of the drive couldn't sit flat against the mounting plate on the bike frame. I gently bent them inboard and the drive slid right into place. From there it was a matter of marking the mounting holes, drilling them, and bolting the drive in.

Hello, I think I have the same problem. My LR drive will not fit into the luna frame. If I put the plastic bits in that attache to the seatpost, the motor will not be flush against the bottom. If it is flush against the bottom, it wont line up properly with the seatpost or be in a stright line as the drive chain will be. When I measured the circular supports on the rear, they are not symmetrical as you say. One side is 1/8 of an inch more inwards (toward the seatpost). How do I bend these (thick steel pipes) without bending the whole frame out of whack?

It is just a minor tweak job to adjust those aluminum supports in so the motor slips into place ( I drew mine together with a clamp), even at that the motor still may not sit perfectly flat until it is drawn tight with the mounting bolts, then fit the seat post clamp.

This frame was hand built and hand welded you can't possibly think they are all exactly the same size without some fitting issues. If you start a build thread and post questions there are people who will answer and help, you may even have tips for us too, cheers,

I don't know how to describe this, one support is more curved INWARDS towards the seatpost than the other. About 1/8 inch off. If they were bent outwards or inwards to the side of the bike, I could bend them into shape easily. Like this though, I don't know how. I tried hammering it back but I am getting nowhere. These are attached at the top and bottom to much thicker tubes. Also geometrically, I don't see hoe this could be fixed without cutting off the tube, making it SHORTER and welding it back in. The curvature of the arc has to go somewhere.

Here are some photos to illustrate what I mean. If I fit the motor as it is now, I can't use the part of the brace that goes up against the motor. If I fit that brace the motor won't sit flush at all.

You can tell they are not quite symmetric just by looking as well:
2016-04-26%2023.02.33.jpg

If I align the motor to the seatpost (no room for the brace) at the font like this:
2016-04-27%2009.54.50.jpg

Then the back as you can see is right up against the left side brace but has quite a bit of room on the right side:
2016-04-27%2009.55.21.jpg

This is the brace that does not fit:
2016-04-27%2009.49.11.jpg

When measuring the distance from the side to the batter box brace you can tell there is a 1/8 inch difference:
2016-04-26%2022.45.47.jpg

2016-04-26%2022.45.26.jpg

Sorry for the delayed response! Sounds like the same issue I had. It's an easy fix. I used a heavy rope and twisted it with a wrench to pull the two bars closer together. This allowed the drive to sit flat.

You're not going to be able to 'pound' the bars into place.

Jeremy

ixandstones, my LR motor I need to lift it up and over to get it in place as it doesn't slide in sideways due to the motor frame side plates straddling those upright frame members. Even at that it only goes in from one side as the other side is too tight.

Mike has assembled these motors ( thanks Mike) to make it easier for us to deal with, but in a situation like yours you could loosen one of the motor side plates to facilitate installation. Personally I'd persevere and try to wiggle it in any way you can before doing that as you don't want to make more issues.

You have a ways to go in your build this is really a little bump along the road,

Try to resist the hammering on the frame, also no pics showed in your post,

I've fixed pictures, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Bowhunter, now that I have images up there I think the situation is clearer. If I were to bend the supports TOWARDS each other (which I think is what you are suggesting, I could get more space to have the motor fit without hitting them, but they would be bent inwards and not touch the edge plates of the motor. If they both bend and give in equally (doubtful) the mis alignment would still be there, albeit with more wiggle room.

Definitely easier to bend them inwards towards each other than try to bend the offending support outwards. The whole mechanics of the arc support need to be overcome, which I probably cant to with my very average human strength.

Thanks so much for your pointers guys

Marin said:
panurge said:
Thanks

Hey Marin, thanks for the try ;)
When you find the time, Would be great if you can share the correct chainstay length, as per Chalo indications: a 2d linear distance between BB spindle and rear axle (geometric definition), but that's usually measured in the real world, as close as possible to the chain path, at least when the concern is about to choose the right chain/belt lengths (and yea, they should be the same, at least in a SS setup).

panurge said:
Marin said:
panurge said:
Thanks

Hey Marin, thanks for the try ;)
When you find the time, Would be great if you can share the correct chainstay length, as per Chalo indications: a 2d linear distance between BB spindle and rear axle (geometric definition), but that's usually measured in the real world, as close as possible to the chain path, at least when the concern is about to choose the right chain/belt lengths (and yea, they should be the same, at least in a SS setup).

This photo shows 655 mm to the mid point of the horizontal dropout.

2810bcf5d96ed89a0cebeb1aa34423cd.jpg

woha!! thanks....
Indeed a very long frame.....
Seems not still available, though.... :( :?:

Got my bike all assembled, it has been a journey. Took it for a test run, and basically figured out I built an electric motorcycle and not a bike really. This thing is a monster. Got to tweak it around a bit.

I have some questions to the Luna cargo frame builders about some things I could not get to work reliably and properly.

1) Cycle Analyst V3 speedometer.
The sensor on the front forks is way too far from the spokes. Anyone figure out a way to get it closer to the magnet on the spokes so we can see how fast-too-fast-way-too-freaking-fast we are going?

2) Pedal/Torque assist sensor
Bought the BEAMTS torque sensor that Grin sells but it did not seem to fit between the luna big block and the 52T crank. I mc-guyvered a ring type cadence sensor but it is really a shoddy job. Could not find a single pedal assist sensor that could fit the luna 52t Crank/BB/Frame. Any suggestions on this? The thing I have rigged up will not survive long term abuse.

3) Setting pedal assist levels in CA and increasing decreasing it.
Is it possible to set multiple levels of pedal assist in CA? Where do I do this, and how would I switch between the levels of pedal assist? Anything similar to most stock bikes out there (like a level 1 to 5 setting of pedal assist)?

4) Ideas for boxes, containers of extra cables. I have some extra long cables that I do not wish to cut. What solutions to round them up have you come up with? Boxes, cable tidy contraptions?

Thanks for any pointers

3. You can use a 3 position switch and set it up on the aux setting on the ca for a 3 speed pas

Back