Making a C120-110

Thanks guys!!

And thanks Nieles for the drawing and ideas.

This MegaRotor is going to spin at around 6000rpm, any ideas to balance it? DIY preferably...

I'm accepting donation of 120mm computer fan, not working is fine! :D

Some weights:

Rotor: 2040 g
Stator: 1208 g
Copper: according to DriveCalc, 1400 g :shock:

Plus (not accounted for): 20 mm Shaft, bearings and pulley... almost 6 kg for ~20 kW.
3,33 kW/kg is not that good :(

Regarding winding the monster, what do you guys think?
ABC is an option...?

Just bought a 120mm fan!
Artic F12 PWM fan.
20130419_192243.jpg

Toolman 2 said
i bet im going to regret admitting this) a $59 18v leaf blower

I must admit it does sound like your riding next to a Lear jet now!
I have often had very close encounters with kangaroos on my hub motor bike, but with toolman's shrieking straight cut gearbox and leaf blower mods he has now eliminated that issue.
Last weekend in the bush.
KTM 300 2 stroke verses toolman's ebike, 2 wins for the ebike. In the other race Dave on the KTM often tries to ride over toolman in an aggressive motocross style bump passes(which is excellent spectating) and they got tangled up. Toolmans bike is very quick!
Another intermediate rider was 2 seconds a lap quicker on the e bike than his own dirt bike!

most people would be horrified at the extra 100w of consumption from this
Oil filled hub motors are showing around this much loss but all the time every where they go, for a LOT less sustainable power output and are limiting max temperature to maximum allowable magnet temps.
Hotrod, what is this motor going into?
Zappy

zappy said:
Oil filled hub motors are showing around this much loss but all the time every where they go, for a LOT less sustainable power output and are limiting max temperature to maximum allowable magnet temps.
Hotrod, what is this motor going into?
Zappy

It's going in a Scott Gambler, 150 km/h objective...
Can we see some pics of toolman's setup?

Here is on more pic of mine
20130420_053129.jpg

I have a copper smile today... :D

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130507_211906.png
    ForumRunner_20130507_211906.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 3,669
Holy crap... this thing is going to be a monster..

i'm glued; can't wait to hear it scream along!!

How is this project going hotrod?

I plan to do the same myself.

Thanks,
Jay

??? :wink: 8)

I will be able to purchase two 80-100 motors in the next few days. I plan to attempt the same thing you have here. It will be going in a "KX-100" 6 speed transmission. ;)

You can help me know if I should go ahead and do it by giving an update on how yours is turning out.

I have saved for 2+ months just to be able to purchase the two 80-100 motors so this is very important to me. I would greatly appreciate your input. :)

Does anyone think having such a long stator (two 80-100's put together) will produce any negative effects... ie; lower efficiency, etc?

Miles? 8)

Please and thanks,
Jay

GITech said:
I will be able to purchase two 80-100 motors in the next few days. I plan to attempt the same thing you have here. It will be going in a "KX-100" 6 speed transmission. ;)

You can help me know if I should go ahead and do it by giving an update on how yours is turning out.

I have saved for 2+ months just to be able to purchase the two 80-100 motors so this is very important to me. I would greatly appreciate your input. :)

Does anyone think having such a long stator (two 80-100's put together) will produce any negative effects... ie; lower efficiency, etc?

Miles? 8)

Please and thanks,
Jay

i dont know what happened to this motor, but it turned out a double ca120-70 is actually a new collosus that you can buy allready done, air or water cooled and halls fitted.
doubling the length of the 80-100 motors would give you higher efficiency than a single due to a halving of the end turn losses (the only copper doing work is in line with the axle, and the bends are a waste of power)
the 80-100 motors are not to bad efficiency wise (better than a ca120) -with a small diameter and reasonable length they are not torquemonsters, but rev happily to 8000 or so.

Awesome, I thought so about the end turns. You just don't see any loooong outrunners, so I figured there must be some reason. Maybe I'm on to something here?!

I will start my own thread for the build once I have the motors in hand. I already have the KX100 bike and trans torn apart. :twisted:

Thanks toolman2,
Jay

You just don't see any loooong outrunners, so I figured there must be some reason. Maybe I'm on to something here?!
The reason? there is no application for a motor of such dimension out side of our little band of goofy brothers on e-bikes & mopeds. Also as an outrunner, there are other options once you start looking for motors that will deliver the kind of power your serching for (montenergy & lemco for example, but again nothing of compairable weight or power density)

These motors are designed to fit into a niche market (with exception of astro's industrial motors division that is the 32xx series of motors) Its on us to make what we want or need :p

Hotrod, we need an update on this motors progress.

Hi Thud. :)

10kw++ with the same diameter and length of a stock kx100 crank shaft... you betcha; NOTHING ELSE even comes close the the awesomeness/power density/form factor of this!

Get this, the engine already comes with a gear that is PERFECT, both in that it has a 12mm hole, and that it has 32 (or was it 33) teeth; making it easy and mathematically correct for the gearing!! It's the kickstart idler gear.

Bump.

Later,
Jay

Sorry guys!

Been really busy with the new job (designing a range extender for the Veeco trike) and some home issues...

Some photos:

Copper core to unite the 2 motors and increase thermal interia
copper core.jpg

Testing the dropout extenders, need the space for the motor, better weight distribution, longer wheelbase for stability, etc. 3D printed ABS prototype, functional!!!
testing.jpg

I'm still stoked to hear how this is coming along! 8)

Later,
Jay

You and me, Jay!

Still haven't found time, money making projects come first, for time being... Just 2 more months! :mrgreen:

Thanks Ron! :wink:

Have you all checked Veeco trike that I'm working on?

Back