Melb Australia Group ride Sat 10th Nov 2012

Hi All,
problems with commuter booster bike all seem sorted - time for a test run.
No better time/place than with you lot I reckon, So if ya don't mind I'm up for the run from Fed Square.

Adrian - I'll bring the spare controller along to give back to you.
Cheers,

Glenn

Dreddydave said:
I'm frantically trying to fix my ride up to make it, but I think Saturday's coming too quick. Would have been great to be part of it.

I'm still diagnosing why after 30 mins of riding I lose all power; wait 5 mins and it's back for another 5. Probably a faulty cap in the controller :-(

Ohhh is this the PVC downtube bike?

Sounds like a good opportunity to borrow a battery and see if it still happens Dreddy Dave. That'll narrow it down....

Holy Mother Of Crap!

Just been out to Caroline Springs on on the Frankencycle MkII... Got totally lost in the back blocks of St. Albans...

All to pick up a little electric kick scooter... Here it is strapped to the back of the 'bike

1352338175130.jpg

Totes rapt with the MKII's carrying capacity... that bloody scooter is primarily made from steel, and still had the SLAs inside the red plastic thing... the-bike took that shizzzle in its stride

MIGHT choose the MKII for the ride... I was test carrying spare packs of Lipo and a 36v10ah Ping in my backpack and gotta say it got a bit heavy after a whiles... Doin' the ride with panniers on the mkII seems like a good idea now that I am back home :) Though in terms of "fit" to my 6 ft frame the MKII aint the most comfortable after a couple of hour riding... can't get the bars high enough... blahblahblah...we'll see and must admit I am gonna be distracted over the next few hours cleaning up the scoot and seeing what it's like with a bit of oomph in the "power box"

Joe

Ooooh DreddyDave, just read your build thread with the PVC down pipe battery casing.... effing excellent!

Joe

That's some serious tyre marks in the top left of your photo. Does Full-throttle live out your way?
:p

Ha! Samd :)

Nahh the area... St Albans/Caroline springs is STILL the home of angry young men with souped up cars... (Lived in St Albans about 20 yrs back, and was a participant back then so is an ongoing tradition :) ) practically every court and roundabout has donut marks on em... even round the middle of the day, in the heart of the newer "estates" there were a few cars cruising around making the yummy zz vvvvvvhhhsssshh turbo blowoff release sound as they down shifted to get over the numerous speed humps... Hoon City

Joe

Really looking forward to the ride, think we might have some stiff competition for the coolest bike though! :)
Any ideas yet of where you'll wind up and at what time? We have to be at CERES in Brunswick by 1.30.. Sounds like that should be achievable.
Any takers yet on the Sunday Mullum ride?
Anyone's welcome to call me on 0412 850 970 for organising :D

The plan is still as per Sam's original post I believe. So depending on how slow the lunch arrives you should be fine to hit up CERES at 1:30.

Samd said:
Hey folks,
as proposed by Adrian some time back, let's 'do the yarra boat house thang'.
I propose the Saturday after Melb Cup, gives you a holiday to blow the winter cobwebs off your liPo horse.

I further propose (doing it a lot eh) that anyone wanting to meet can meet at Fed square at say 10am and ride 14km to the Abbottsford Convent by say 10.40:
http://tinyurl.com/9bhejwf

Depart the Abbottsford Convent at 11am to go 3km to the Studley park Boathouse (hope I have the paths right, google beta)
http://tinyurl.com/9jjlyvh

I guess we can either grab lunch there at say 11.30 before the crowds, or carry on for the next leg of :
Depart the Studley park Boathouse at ???? to go 5.7km to the Fairfield Boathouse:
http://tinyurl.com/9fn6umc
...then get lunch at the end and ride about like the loons we are and trade ideas and opinions.

Post below and share your thoughts. Democracy and all that jazz....

SD

I have to apologise for not asking if people wanted to propose any changes - I just got off track! It's probably a bit late to organise anything different but if people want to then go for it - I'm up for a ride anywhere!

Looks like the maps aren't linking properly any more, and are rerouting for the most direct solution.

The intent was to follow the yarra again for the 3 legs, although for the first I might make a shortcut and meet you back at the convent if nothing changes. Still not sure about my new batts.

Haven't heard back from kiqnkf - hope he got my message about the ride!

Cheers.

Sorry to hijack the main meet but it looks like I WILL be back it town now this weekend!
Unfortunately I can't get there for the Saturday meet but I will be in Melbourne from Sunday morning.
I'll be staying right at the airport not in the CBD as originally proposed so I'll try and make my way out to the ride Kepler has proposed for Sunday. Anyone else who wants to say g'day, that's where I'll be. If anyone living in the Tullamarine area is heading that way and can give lift that'd be super awesome otherwise I'll sus out public transport options I suppose.

We can party in my hotel room at the Park Royal and bludge free electricity for recharging afterwards :p

I should be good to give you a lift (let me double check something first)

Keps got you covered as far as bikes go?

Sweet man, that'd be awesome if you could. Public transport to there looks like a nightmare so I'd probably have to hire a car otherwise.

So as to not hijack this thread I've started another one here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=45363#p661360

Anyone keen on backing up the Saturday ride with another on Sunday (or if you can't make Saturday) post in the above thread and let us know

Well.... I don't come to your state and thread jack your group rides :shock:

But I will one-day :mrgreen:

Everyone who does anything interesting seems to live out east... Not really, it's just population sprawl is double on that side.

Only public transport is (crummy) bus service, the taxi service has been working long and hard for decades to ensure that we don't have a train line to the city.

It's not like Sydney you guys and your airport station line :roll:

We're not that civilized.

Heh yeah I can be chasing a kangaroo through the bush or surfing a wave 30 seconds away from a train that will have me sitting in the airport 40 minutes later. I'd never given much thought to other cities not being as easy to get around.

t3sla said:
We're not that civilized.
That's how it goes south of the boarder though right :p

We have culture, you have class.

It's an interesting compromise. :p

Look at the end of the day we can both be thankful we reside on the east coast :mrgreen:

In other news I'm regretting my choice of pedalec for the ride after just completing a strenuous gym session.

Dis goan errt mahy :|

Running bit late (brake issues), will meet you guys at the Convent :)

Waiting.

Attachments

• IMG_20121110_100246.jpg
    IMG_20121110_100246.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,989
About 20 bikes now

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121110_112822.png
    ForumRunner_20121110_112822.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 3,986
Sorry folks, the ol' hernia was popping in and out with each pedal so couldn't make it. :(
See you on the next ride.

Crap.

Apologies.

Looks like I missed out. Working to hard, getting up too early, and getting home too late.

Stay safe.

Back