Mongoose CX 24v450 low speed and high speed options?

maurtis

100 W
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a bit, but finally decided it was time to post and start planning the build.

Last year I picked up a Mongoose CX 24v450 off Craigslist for $50, the batteries were junk and the forks were bent from when someone backed into it in the garage, but other than that it was in good shape. My LBS sold me some cast off RST Gila forks for $10 and picked up 2 12v12ah SLAs from Chrome battery and we were up and running.

Left.jpg

The intent was to have a chase vehicle to run around with when my 6 year old son was riding his Razor MX-350 (older model with the suspension), and later to have for him to grow into.

But instantly I fell in love with it, even in the slow stock form. I added bolt-on passenger pegs to the rear so I could ride 2-up with him back and forth to school on nice days (it is only a couple blocks away), and the stock little motor actually carries us both without smoking.

Anyways, I definitely would like some more speed. I figure my options are to try and see what I can get out of the stock motor at 36V or go with a bigger motor at 48V? The terrain is mostly flat or slight grades, 80% street, 20% park/grass. 10 mile range at WOT would get me everywhere I need to go and back comfortably. Any more range would just be gravy.

Option 1, lower cost low speed toy:
So, keeping the existing 24V 450W motor and going to a 36V LiFePO4 battery pack (and upgrading the controller if I smoke it), can I get 20 - 25 MPH out of it with 20" tires, assuming it is just me at 200 lbs? I would stick to about 15 MPH when I have my son on with me... I also assume this means coming up with a cooling solution for the motor as well. This would be for running around the neighborhood, to Sonic, Walgreens, etc.

Option 2, higher cost errand runner:
(I had a 66cc 2 stroke bicycle that I used in this capacity, but it was a nonstop maintenance project until I blew the motor. I then sold off the parts and used the $ to restore a go-kart for my son)
If I go the high speed route I would like to be able to cruise at 35 - 40 MPH (errand running vehicle to Target and such, 5 miles round trip, 35 MPH backroads). I think I will have to get a bottom bracket crank extension for the pedals, but would like to retain them if possible. Using a gear ratio calculator, looks like I can hit those numbers easily with an 11T front sprocket, 44T rear, 20" tires and 3000rpm. So I was looking at the 1000W, 48V MY1020-B at tncscooters? How would take off torque be with something like that?

Or is the wheelbase too short for these kinds of speeds?

Option 3, staged upgrade:
Is it possible to reach my goals with option 2 using only 36V? If so, I can just upgrade the battery to a good 36V pack first, then cruise around at lower speeds until I get the time and $ to upgrade the motor, controller, sprockets, etc.

Thanks all!

After thinking on it some more, I am going with trying to keep the stock motor and going 36V and replacing the knobbies with Hookworms. Hopefully that will get me closer to 20 MPH.

My reasoning was that my son will be inheriting the bike in about 3-4 years and I do not think I want a 10 year old tooling around the neighborhood on a 35 MPH bicycle... yet.

And if the e-bug sticks and I want something faster for errand running, I can build a full sized electric bike for myself.

Nice recumbent! I like the use of the donor; very creative.

I keep seeing these things pop up on CL every now and then anywhere between $50 to $400. Definitely a great little frame and setup, especially if you can score one for $50 like the OP did. Too bad this stuff wasn't around when I was a kid.

Hi,

Here is what i i have done with mine :wink:View attachment 1

2824b.jpg

This little frame (bike) as huge potential, if you stretch it a bit or you can use John in CR Mini Hub monster has a mid drive for the speed and torque you want, without too much modification I think.

With the 20" bicycle rim size you can fit 16" motocross or motorcycle tire to it. Then you can do almost everything with it. I really recommend a YZ 125 seat or something similar for more comfort.

Good day!
Black Arrow

Picking up mine later today. I'm over here in new orleans. Already ordered a 16t southpay lefty sproket. Decided to upgrade the running gear first. Then im going to go with 36v lipos, stock motor and a 36v controller. I was going to build my genesis into a currie rear motor DH ebike until i found the cx. But in the process of figuring out the build for that, i found a guy in cali running a 48v currie trailz bike. He is also using the stock motor. He runs around at 25-30mph on 26in rims. Eventually im going to make it single rhd using cyclone or gng parts and a internally geared hub. Sorry if i stole your thread, just thought i would give you my plans to maybe help you.

EBC

Just an update since I hate it when people do not follow up on their own posts, LOL...

There is another thread here on Mongoose CX builds, where I documented my progress, as did EBS on his: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46977

I decided to go with 9s3p lipo. I was tempted to go 10s, but stayed at 9s to be safe. I also switched out the rear motor side sprocket from the stock 20T freewheel for a 16T ACS Southpaw. With those two changes I max out at 29 MPH hot off the charger and can cruise pretty well at 25 MPH. The motor gets pretty warm, but my trips tend to be short 2-3 milers.

Lake_front_left_small.jpg

Lake_back_right_scaled.jpg

I want to do with a faster hub motored build next for longer trips into town, but this bike makes a great neighborhood runabout! I think one day for giggles I am going to mount a second MY1018Z motor to this guy using the iZip mounting bracket, but likely that will be after the hub motor build...

electric bike.JPG

Came with 24v 450w gear reduction drive ( very noisy ) and a 24v 30A controller -------Junk big time
Bought another stock motor with plans to remove both motors from their perspective gear reduction housings and build a twin engine setup for it but then I changed my mind, added a battery and replaced the motor with a 36v 650w with matching controller ----- fractionally better but still Junk. Then I replaced motor with a 36v 750w with matching controller Junk level medium. Then added another battery and replaced motor with a 48v 1200w with matching controller ( After the total hassle of fabricating a motor mount for that thing with countershaft to align the final gearing ) “Due to how long those motors are” Now I was getting somewhere, but, not where I wanted to be
Fabricated another motor mount countershaft assembly and added another engine / so
Twin 48v1200w motors with Altrax 24-48, 300a controller
Easily approaching 40mph I let off on the throttle so I don’t know what it’s top speed was but what I do know is that no one should ever get, what is essentially a bicycle, to go that fast and its not that I’m afraid of going that fast on two wheels fast, my other bike is a GSX1100 with a Rajay turbo that will push 11 lbs. of boost from out of my driveway to across the street. It’s just that (in this mans opinion) 40mph on a bicycle is fricking insane
I rode the thing once around the block then I dissembled it
Currently (as of this month, last month it was different) I’m running a Currie 24v 450w motor with a 36v 40a controller (wiring and controller hidden from view in the small pouch in front of the seat). Powered by LifePo4s / 23 amp hrs in the box and 7 amp hrs under the seat in back of the side fairings.
With 65lbs of air pressure it will get to 34.29mph fairly quickly and take me around 21 miles at that speed. geared down to a 16mph top speed it will stand on the rear wheel by throttle response
BUT ANYWAY
How many hours are invested in this project
How much money invested in this project
How many headaches due to this project
How many disagreements with wife do to this project
There are only two souls that know the answers to those questions Jesus Christ and the devil himself
Then there is the air shock I just ordered, I’m still shopping for front forks
Because of this thing I know the wife is going to kill me someday, I just know it lol
But the very best thing ( astronomically ) that I ever did was invest in the LiFepo4s

hi did you bought the modified blue mongoose bike? if you have two can you sell one to me????

No i bought the thing new and came up with this configuration after much trial and error but I do see them now and then for sale on craigslist. Try placing an ad in the wanted section of this site, you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20130405_034938.JPG
    IMG_20130405_034938.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,536
  • IMG_20130405_020704.JPG
    IMG_20130405_020704.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 5,704
Very nice, thanks for sharing! Sounds like you made a frightful beast indeed!

So to hit 34 MPH, how much voltage are you pushing through the 36v 40a controller? Are you using the stock gearing? I was hoping to get my bike into the low 30s, but figured more power would smoke that little Currie motor.

Ok well that’s with fresh charge, no wind at all and tires so full that they are like rock hard. Needless to say you really feel every bump in the road when you’re riding on tires like that. And my weight is 165.
Are you running that gear reduction motor? Man those things are noisy what with straight cut metal gears and all. If so trash it when you can and pick up one of those Currie XYD-13A motors / making a motor mount is a piece of cake / I believe I’m running a 12 tooth on the motor and an 84 on the rear right now. 36v to a SPD-CT660B9 controller / 36v 1000w
It’s Chinese made but it’s one well designed circuit if you ask me, been running the same one for over a year now with no problems with it whatsoever.

Ok well it looks like these 36v 1000w currie motors are no where to be found anymore so I'm currently shopping for a hub motor, and one that will be dependable ( hopefully )
36v
1000w controller
So / 1440 watts
20 inch rim ( obviously )
Suggestions very much appreciated, thank you

Back