Motor for Electric Kicksled and Cargo Bike

Samsterism

1 µW
Hi All:

I'm glad to have found this forum and am grateful for any advice folks would care to offer. I'm not an expert in electric vehicles at all. I own one of the original eGo scooters (only about 100 made I understand) that isn't running now but that's another project.

I am hoping to build an electric kicksled using a hub motor on a 20" wheel. An additional caveat is I'd also like to use the motor/wheel on my cargo bike when the weather warms up.

My cargo bike is a Madsen:

bikes-blue-2012.jpg

An electric kicksled looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSRXpXrG15Q

So now I have to try and figure out the best motor to buy to use on these two different vehicles. Here are some thoughts I've had:

The Madsen:
- I want a geared motor because I don't want any drag when riding the Madsen. I will mostly use the motor on local, minor hills.
- The Madsen often has close to 400 lbs of weight (me, my two kids, a friend or two, stuff)
- I don't need to ride up long tough hills often. As my kids grow up it's more likely to be just me and groceries or me and stuff with kids on their own bikes.

Kicksled Design:
- My version will be slightly different than the one in the video. I plan to put an old weight bench (not this exact bench but one like it) on a pair of skis:

uc

- The driver will stand behind the bench (where a spotter would stand if someone was bench pressing) and the hub motor/wheel will be under the bench.
- The wheel will be on a spring-loaded arm that the driver can press down into the snow with their foot - sort of like this gas-powered kicksled (though mine will have a spring that holds the motor off the snow unless you step down on the lever).

http://youtu.be/7gMmDVAhOkg?t=2m2s

- The passengers will sit on the bench (with protection between their feet and the wheel!)

Kicksled Issues

- I don't want the kicksled to be too fast. It's just for fun on snow covered streets and parks.
- I don't want the motor to spin out. I'll get some sort of chains or a snow tire with studs.
- I don't want to strip the gears on the motor. Would it be better to give the sled a few kicks to get moving before using the motor?
- The motor will need to be fairly rugged and not mind the bumping, cold, and snow.

I've been looking at em3ev.com and I think the following setup might be about right - though I'm not sure and could use advice:

UPGRADE EM3EV VERS. MAC , 500/1000W PICK'N'MIX KIT

- Controller Type 9 fet 30A (36-52V, IRFB3077)
- Motor Speed 255rpm loaded @36V 10T Upgrade
- Front/Rear Motor Rear
- Wheel Type 20" Alex DM18 CNC
- Spoke Type Sapim Upgrade (Silver)
- Throttle Type Half Twist
- Ebrakes HWBS Sensor (1pc)

It seems easier to get a battery here in the US. I assume some sort of lithium battery - I haven't done as much research on that yet. Something that can stand the cold I guess.

So thanks again for any advice you may have!

Sam

(P.S. The skis will be set out wider than the legs of the bench so it should be pretty stable - as stable as a motorized bench with four laughing people can be I suppose. You can see why I don't want it to go too fast!)

Hi arkmundi - thanks for the reply.

That's a pretty sweet set up. I'll have to wait until the kids are much older to build something that fast - and then let them ride it!

Sam

Back