• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Motor per buck ratio

Observator

10 W
Hello guy, I've gotten myself in a pinch, In two weeks I will begin commuting longer than i care to pedal. And the pinch? Well my current setup is all bogged down and i need a replacement.

The objective: I need to score a new motor!

Conditions:
-Must be at my doorstep in less than 2 week (moving in 2 weeks, cant risk it being here after i depart)
-Must be cheap! strapped for funds, thinking 250-300 shipped.
-Must play nice with 12 HK lipo and a 9fet 63 volts limited cellman controller
-Shipped from EU preferred, due to conditions 1 and 2
-Laced to a 24" or 26" rim, 24" preferred

So what gets me the best motor per investment ratio?

Been looking and searching to the best of my ability, the current winner's are:

http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-bike-hub-motor/gearless-20-24-26-700c-28-inch/newest-24-inch-48v-1000w-rear-hub-motor-wheel-891.html
But this is probably to high speed wound to be useful...

or:
http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-bike-hub-motor/gearless-20-24-26-700c-28-inch/24-inch-48v-1000w-rear-hub-motor-wheel-727.html
Probably a better fit? But somewhat ascetically handicapped.

The second motor you linked to is a nine-continent clone and very popular and widely known. It's most likely wound to give 30mph/45kph at 48V.

The first motor, claiming 80mph at 72V sounds like it is wound far too fast and would be very underpowered.

If it was my money I would pick the second motor :)

I agree with all you've said Punx0r, just want to clarify, in case my first post was unclear. I'm not set on either of the two, their just the best deal i found so far. All suggestions are welcome and sought after!

Drunkskunk said:
Neither of those. I'm pretty sure LB drop ships from Asia. Your best bet for quick turn around if to find an ebay vendor in your country who posts a promised delivery date.

Caught me posting, Thanks for the red flag. Think i saw 3-5 day shipping stated on their site, not that it would be the first time a vendor is sketchy on delivery dates.

There's a saying: "Cheap, Fast, Good. Pick any two"

Seems like you want it all. Good luck

cal3thousand said:
There's a saying: "Cheap, Fast, Good. Pick any two"

Seems like you want it all. Good luck

If the fast remark is regarding the shipping speed I agree, your probably right. Other than that I haven't addressed speed. But now that its brought up, 45-50km/h is my ideal speed.

Ps thanks for wishing me good luck, i recon I'm way overdue for some luck in the ebike field!

The first is a very high speed motor (731rpm). Might be ok in a 24" wheel om somewhat level ground. The second is a GM motor or clone (451rpm) and in a 24" rim will have plenty of power to climb steep hills, but top speed will be slower. If you're looking for speed, and don't have a lot of steep hills, get the first, otherwise the second. No load speed on the first is 84kph. 52kph for the second.

Sorry, to correct: the 9C clone will do about 45kph in a 26" wheel on 48V. It will be less if you use a 24" wheel!

Punx0r said:
Sorry, to correct: the 9C clone will do about 45kph in a 26" wheel on 48V. It will be less if you use a 24" wheel!
Not sure about the first, but the second is a GoldenMotor Pro 901 or a clone of it. Same as the one I've been riding for over 3 years. The speeds I posted are correct for a 24" wheel if the specs on their site are correct. Loaded speeds will be less of course. How much depends on the load.

Back