• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Motor thumping at high rpms with new 72v controller (VIDEO)

nerdalert

10 W
I swapped out my 48v controller that worked great with a 48-72v 1500w controller to get ready for my additional battery for 66.6v nominal voltage. While the new controller has lots of connectors that the 48v didn't have, I only plugged in the essentials (phases, power, throttle) Well, it works and powers me around but when the wheel starts to hit higher RPMs it makes a thump sound with a loss in power (like a misfire). I could tear the whole thing apart to chase the problem down but thought I'd ask you guys first. It's as if the phases are firing out of order once it hits that rpm. Perhaps the timing is different with this controller and once it hits that rpm the problem shows and the phase firing at the wrong time functioning as a sort of reverse thrust works as a sort of speed limiter?

Here's the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-oPB6Pw69Y

After a long thinking session in the shower I put 2 multimeters to the stator phase wires and watched them under low throttle. Saw them going out of order relative to the order of the 48v controller. Swapped the phase wires without a good result. Swapped the hall wires for the same colors also (Yellow and Green) and it works great now. WTF china... if you're gonna pick those 3 colors, do it for a reason!

Unfortunately there is no standard in colors for phase firing as you found out. I've got different colors matching on the same controller with 2 different motors. Just the way it is. Use another motor or controller and you will likely have yet another different color sequence.

For readers if having similar problems, If controller got auto tune retry that until motor runs smooth. Or manually swap wire combos until motor runs smooth. Be sure you try all combinations.

Have a quick look at the first post here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3484

Back