my ampedbike kit review

kazbluesky said:
If I have one little criticism it is the 'clicky' free wheel - though I have a set of shimano's that (when I can work out how to do it) I'll change out for.

I'm getting ready to change out the five gear freewheel that came on my AmpedBikes rear hub for a 7 gear so I'll have my original 21 speeds back. I got an 11 tooth 7 gear from ebikes.ca that should help me keep up at higher speeds. I'm just hoping there's enough room for the 7 gears...it sure looks like there is!
What you'll need to remove the stock 5 gear is a Park Tools FR-1 Freewheel Remover. But you will need to take the tool to a machine shop and have them drill it all the way thru to a large enough diameter so it can slide over the hub axle. Putting the new freewheel on is a piece of cake - you just screw it on hand tight, then ride the bike and let the chain tighten it the rest of the way.

imgDsp.aspx

Thanks Ypedal, I think I'll do it myself too :D ...save me some money and a trip to the machine shop. Come to think of it, I have a Drimel tool attachment that might make it a little easier.

kazbluesky said:
If I have one little criticism it is the 'clicky' free wheel

Some 25+ years ago I discovered that when I sprayed Tri-Flow lubricant into the back of the cluster, where the clickies (pawls) are located, it shut them up. It didn't seem to add any drag, but even if it did it may be a better solution than changing out the freewheel. I'd think any kind of light oil lubricant would work.

Does the motor itself make any noise when powering up to speed?

The Clyte motors have a slight chugging vibration sort of noise, is the Amped/Nine continents motor the same?

The C-lytes chug because they use an inexpensive sensorless controller. It basically uses an algorithm to find out where the motor is in relation to the magnets so that it does not start in reverse.

turoczi said:
The C-lytes chug because they use an inexpensive sensorless controller. It basically uses an algorithm to find out where the motor is in relation to the magnets so that it does not start in reverse.

??? Xlytes have the standard 3 hall sensors - are you referring to some other sensor I don't know about?

-JD

Vim said:
kazbluesky said:
If I have one little criticism it is the 'clicky' free wheel - though I have a set of shimano's that (when I can work out how to do it) I'll change out for.

I'm getting ready to change out the five gear freewheel that came on my AmpedBikes rear hub for a 7 gear so I'll have my original 21 speeds back. I got an 11 tooth 7 gear from ebikes.ca that should help me keep up at higher speeds. I'm just hoping there's enough room for the 7 gears...it sure looks like there is!
What you'll need to remove the stock 5 gear is a Park Tools FR-1 Freewheel Remover. But you will need to take the tool to a machine shop and have them drill it all the way thru to a large enough diameter so it can slide over the hub axle. Putting the new freewheel on is a piece of cake - you just screw it on hand tight, then ride the bike and let the chain tighten it the rest of the way.

imgDsp.aspx
I've drilled out several freewheel removers with a hand drill, but my drill press works better. U gotta go slow and use oil lube, but even hardened steel can be done at home. Just MHO.
otherDoc

From what I understand Xlytes have changed to a sensorless controller. this last year.

Hey there´s a guy on the Ampedbike forum who´s started a blog on his new kit and commute experience. Check it out at:

http://www.stevehauck.com/

Carl

Ampedbikes has come up with a new geared motor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoLlys3gzE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ampedbikes.com%2F&feature=player_embedded

cant wait!!!

Ezee motor? Bafang? Fusin? Doesn't look like a bmc to me. Disk mounts sounds like Ezee to me.

Danny is saying on his forums that he tried to work a deal with bafang but they were more interested in selling their product than manufacturing and he stumbled on these guys that manufacture only and modified a 350W to 400W which apparently has so much power that they are modifying the speed controller to ramp up to speed to avoid wheelies lol. Nine Continent sold Ampedbikes out so they apparently worked out an exclusive USA contract with a new company.

I follow the amped forums daily and they are now running it at 72V lol..

Yeah this new geared motor looks pretty good. I'm considering getting one of these instead of a BMC if it can handle some decent amperage. Here's some info and a few comments about this motor from Danny Ray himself...

I'm releasing 2 new motors.
1. a 400W geared (incredibly quiet), incredibly powerful 100% freewheeling motor. Out performs anything from 8Fun. The quality is far superior to the BMC along with being almost silent.

2. A reinvention of our original. We are going to use the same stator but re manufacture everything else. The rims are angle drilled, we are having a new casting done so that fitting a disk brake is easier than ever.

Here's a link to a small video of the new motor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoLlys3gzE

COST: The new direct drives will be about $20 more and the geared will be within $40 of the originals.

AVAILABILITY: I thoroughly test everything before shipping anything. SO even though we are re-manufacturing and selling new motors don't expect them for another 30-40 days.

WEIGHT: 9 lbs with rim spokes etc.. We are going to reduce this by about 1.5 lbs. The spokes they have now are 10g but we are going to reduce them as it is over kill to 13-14G spokes. so figure right at about 8 lbs or slightly less.

It will be available in Both front and rear with disk brake options.
1. 22.5 mph at 36V
2. matching rims..... not a bad idea but I dont get much call for it. I can provide rims for sure but as far as lacing front and rears for customers I am not sure about. It normally costs around $35 to lace wheels so I may simply offer a matching rim if there is a larger than 1% call for it.
3. Im not quite sure how it compares to the 8fun 400W.. I rode the 8fun 400W at the shanghai show and it was pretty loud in my opinion which will cause problems later. Noise = resistance = heat = damage. The 8fun had alot of kick but I was unimpressed with the engineering simply because of the noise.
4. Maintenance.... The gears may need to be replaced after a couple years which is an easy task. I will have them readily available.

Oh lol BTW we were testing the new motor today at 72V lol... We had it bolted in tightly with 2 torque arms it spun on asphalt with my 230 lbs on it like it was gravel and eventually pulled itself out of the dropouts even with 2 torque arms installed. It was alot of fun, waay too fast and waay too much torque. I ended up spinning the wires up so I had to open it up and repair the wires and after all of that the gears were still perfect and quiet as ever.

I am confident that this new kit will be the kit of the year. The tolerances are very tight on the inside of the motor. I dont want to go on but it was a fun day!!

Sacman said:
Yeah this new geared motor looks pretty good. I'm considering getting one of these instead of a BMC if it can handle some decent amperage. Here's some info and a few comments about this motor from Danny Ray himself...
So are you going to keep us in suspense or can we know just what the name of this awe-inspiring, soon-to-be-the-next-big-gotta'-have motor is?

By the way, that video is rather impressive. Very quiet.

Ahh.. yes, I left nine Continents because I sent them my speed controller to save on shipping, I designed the 9X7 windings with them in Ningbo. I did the footwork spent close to $20k going back and forth and they simply sold my kit to Jason at ebikekit. It started with Justin who makes the cycle analyst. I was not trying to corner the market but I did travel extensively throughout China looking for back alley companies to create my kit.

Im just a simple guy that works with each customer. Yes I was disappointed to see my controller and windings on their sites. But Nine continents simply refuses to change connectors, refuses to spoke correctly. If you look closely each spoke has a bend in them which is not correct. I patented our universal torque arms then designed the soft start controller that slowly ramps up the amperage which was also sold out from under me.

It is easy to copy what one man works hard for like Jason at ebike-kit and justin in Canada and the Chinese are in a huge growth period and will sell anything that anyone else created to make a buck. I understand this is just business for them but for me it is my passion to create the best product available at a fair price for all of my customers.

It is painful to see people reaping the benefits from my hard work.. But they don't have the passion so I can always stay one step ahead and keep engineering new products.

I'm a simple guy that has a bad knee and that's how I got into this whole thing. In any case I rarely post or read the boards as I like to keep my mind open to new ideas and free thought.

The easiest thing in the world is to copy what another man has worked hard for. The honest truth is that I have never woken up in the morning to make money. With any of my businesses. I get up make the best product I can for my customer and to be of service to them. Money is simply a byproduct of my work.

This is not the first time. This has happened to me.. Im a bit stubborn. Years ago I created an arcade style joystick for emulation games. I went to a guy for help with injection molding and he ripped me off as well we were "stick-it" he is X-Arcade. http://www.xgaming.com/about-xgaming.shtml I went to Shawn Walters (owner) for help with the injection molding as I could not keep up with orders... Only to find out lol he was teaching a class using my quotes word for word lol....

SO I'm learning the business part but slowly. I have found that there are plenty of people out there that will simply steal all of your hard work and there isnt much you can do about it.

So with the little I have learned I have bought exclusive USA rights to our new direct drive and geared motor. But I will have to keep innovating and engineering to keep a step ahead.. of the people that simply don't do the leg work. I guess I could simply copy someone but Im not in it for the $$ I simply enjoy creating new products.

Like I said I normally dont post but I feel I should explain whats really going on.. At least the way I see it. You can always count on Ampedbikes to create an excellent product at fair prices.

Flame away :( :D

Back