My first eBike build: DH 2WD in China

If that''s a Bafang CST motor, I've run mine at 64v and 30 amps without any problems other than trying to keep traction between the tyre and th road. Bafang are now a serious motor manufacturer. They've been improving over the years. All the things we used to say about their poor quality doesn't really apply anymore. I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but I think you should look more towards the way that the motor was installed than the quality of the axle. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Awesome build. Makes my first ebike look like sh*t. Looked so bad no pix survive. In my defense, brushless hub motors and LiPo were not available 20 years ago.

Is it possible to change the axle? Maybe have one machined in 4340? Torque arms on both sides.

dawrench said:
Awesome build. Makes my first ebike look like sh*t. Looked so bad no pix survive. In my defense, brushless hub motors and LiPo were not available 20 years ago.

Is it possible to change the axle? Maybe have one machined in 4340? Torque arms on both sides.

Wow, 20 years ago :shock: What was that bike like? Do you know of a thread dedicated to vintage bikes?

I returned my BaFang CST motor to the place that I purchased it on-line in China.
I did not think it was covered under warranty since I snapped the axle, cut the wires, hack sawed the other side of the axle, and drilled all of the spoke holes.
But they replaced it with a brand new motor for free and got it back to me in 10 days :mrgreen: .

file.php

Attachments

• free replacement.JPG
    free replacement.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 904
litespeed said:
So I'm thinking different motors might your next move?

Tom

I would like to have motors with thicker axles (10mm across the flats is too small for a hollow axle). However these are new and covered by warranty so I will stick with them. I just need to build TA's that also support the axle.

REQUIREMENT: This DH must be able to take a beating. Trails, curbs, pot holes.....

shenzhen_ex said:
dawrench said:

Wow, 20 years ago :shock: What was that bike like? Do you know of a thread dedicated to vintage bikes?

Back then, some ebikes used flooded automobile or golf cart batteries. Imagine two 20 kg flooded batteries strapped to your bike with 4-9 litres of Sulfuric acid sloshing around. This might take you 12 miles at 15 mph. Some used Gelled acid batteries, a few had these new AGM type SLAs, a very very few ran on NiCad batteries. NiCads were capable of high currents but were VERY pricey for a large enough pack. They also had high cycle life and didn`t mind being run down close to zero.
I still have a couple of 20s1p D cell packs kicking around with life in them.

Motors were brushed DC either series wound or PMDC. I've seen or used golf cart motors, repurposed floor polishers, electric wheelchair parts, fan motors from a Mack truck - even MilSurplus stuff. If one wasn`t enough use two like the EV Warrior.

Controllers were whatever you could find and often had a heat sink the size of a phone directory.

Todays bikes with BLDC hubs and Lithium batts absolutely blow the doors off the vintage rigs.

Here is a site called the Electric Bike Graveyard - these are production bikes not DIY stuff from Popular Mechanics.

http://www.electricbike.com/ebike-graveyard/

And yes, I will start a new thread for this.

She is running again.
I went for a 20km ride and decided to check the axles for any sign of trouble. I found all the nuts were no longer tight. I checked them several times before the ride. So new moters must have the bearing not fully pressed in. I suspect that contributed to why my axles snapped in the first place. I will check the nuts often until they stay tight.

I love the 2WD...This thing climbs awesome!

file.php

file.php

Attachments

• running again 2 9-19.JPG
    running again 2 9-19.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 900
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,023
Your build is so clean; if you have enough torque/power to snap both axles, maybe time to consider a non-hub build...Far be it from me to give you advice, but I noticed in one of your first pics the wire loom coming straight up from your front hub motor. If this is still the case, you could create a "U" loop with a twist tie or a fancy bracket so any water that lands on the wires will run off instead of into the motor's wire inlet. I am sure you are aware of many techniques to ensure your axle bolts stay tight (clamping style TA's, custom axle milling, nord(sp?) washers). Have you taken apart your hub motors to see if they will fit a larger diameter axle? What is your typical terrain and riding style?

RoadWrinkle said:
Your build is so clean; if you have enough torque/power to snap both axles, maybe time to consider a non-hub build...Far be it from me to give you advice, but I noticed in one of your first pics the wire loom coming straight up from your front hub motor. If this is still the case, you could create a "U" loop with a twist tie or a fancy bracket so any water that lands on the wires will run off instead of into the motor's wire inlet. I am sure you are aware of many techniques to ensure your axle bolts stay tight (clamping style TA's, custom axle milling, nord(sp?) washers). Have you taken apart your hub motors to see if they will fit a larger diameter axle? What is your typical terrain and riding style?

I would like to make a non-hub build but the 2WD is a blast.

I really do have to address my wire routing. I will get to it later :mrgreen:

Increasing the axle diameters would require a non standard bearing ( I think) or making new side covers. I prefer to get a motor with larger axles next time. This is my first build, I did not even consider axle size when I bought these motors.

I ride off-road and street. Today I was taking small jumps, stairs, and rough trails.

Today was a nice day:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Attachments

• SAM_0940.jpg
    SAM_0940.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 1,022
  • SAM_0938.jpg
    SAM_0938.jpg