My New Build Bomber Style 100V 26Ah 8kw MC Rims and Tires

Just finished a new build for a customer. Turned out pretty good looking, so I thought I'd share.

Enduro electric frame
4t motor, almost like a MXSUS 3000, aluminum stator, thick wires (look like 10Awg - no need to upgrade, thank goodness), dual halls, thermistor pre-installed.
88v (100.8v) 26Ah self build battery pack, 9P24s Panasonic 2900PF, 80A BMS
18fet Sinewave controller (Xie Chang type, genuine IRFB4110) modded for higher amps
MC rims 1.6, 17'' in the rear, 19'' in the front, 10G spokes, Shinko 244 tires
Zoom fork 680DH
203mm rotors, zoom hydraulic brakes
RCP Burner 3 rear shock
Cycle Analyst v3
Moto seat
5A charger on board (in the frame)

Tested top unloaded speed - 130 mph with flux weakening (yeah)
Tested top loaded (210lbs rider) speed on flat - 55 mph (still some room to go faster)
Consumption at 35mph on flat riding efficiently - 50Wh
Estimated range of inefficient riding (going 50mph or so, fast launches, etc.) - 30 miles
Estimated range of efficient riding at 35 mph - over 40 miles (still have to test)

I will be adding more pics.

IMAG1865_small.jpg

4t motor, almost like a MXSUS 3000, aluminum stator, thick wires (look like 10Awg - no need to upgrade, thank goodness), dual halls, thermistor pre-installed

Subd. Where did you get your MXUS from? My MXUS was pimped out by Allex with SKF bearings and 12g turnigy phase wires. Nothing bigger can fit with the stock axle and bearing. NIce build, looks tough, thanks for sharing the link,

subscribed. Like your build really much. For how much did you sell it?

Regards,

Elias

I got it from a random Alliexpress seller. Actually, I also have another motor 3t, it's from MXSUS with the stock axle. I was able to fit 10AWG teflon insulated wires in there. It wasn't easy but it worked.

Rix said:
4t motor, almost like a MXSUS 3000, aluminum stator, thick wires (look like 10Awg - no need to upgrade, thank goodness), dual halls, thermistor pre-installed

Subd. Where did you get your MXUS from? My MXUS was pimped out by Allex with SKF bearings and 12g turnigy phase wires. Nothing bigger can fit with the stock axle and bearing. NIce build, looks tough, thanks for sharing the link,

I am wary of those zoom forks holding up on a high power high speed build if ridden hard... how do the materials and build quality feel up close compared to the other budget brands like DNM? I got spoiled with a nice set of Marzzochis, but it is hard to justify that for all of my bikes.

Powervelocity.com said:
I got it from a random Alliexpress seller. Actually, I also have another motor 3t, it's from MXSUS with the stock axle. I was able to fit 10AWG teflon insulated wires in there. It wasn't easy but it worked.

Rix said:

Thats sweet, checked out your shop, you are in Sac, I am an hour east of Reno, I can drive to Sac in 3 hours. Need to check out your shop this summer.

ecycler said:
I am wary of those zoom forks holding up on a high power high speed build if ridden hard... how do the materials and build quality feel up close compared to the other budget brands like DNM? I got spoiled with a nice set of Marzzochis, but it is hard to justify that for all of my bikes.

I think those forks look tough, the stanchions look to be at least 36mm and possibly even 38mm. I don't know $h!t about Zoom forks, but judging a book by its cover, those forks should be tough enough. Hey Powervelocity, whats up?

Zoom is an OK fork for builds on a budget. It's not high end. Not that someone should expect it to be at this price level. You can buy three of them for the price of one DNM (also not the top of the line).
It feels kind of weak, especially during braking. Basically, no adjustments for rebound or compression. But, hey, it looks nice and shiny and it kind of does the job.

Powervelocity.com said:
Zoom is an OK fork for builds on a budget. It's not high end. Not that someone should expect it to be at this price level. You can buy three of them for the price of one DNM (also not the top of the line).
It feels kind of weak, especially during braking. Basically, no adjustments for rebound or compression. But, hey, it looks nice and shiny and it kind of does the job.

Wow, if you can buy 3 zooms for one DNM that is cheap. I can buy 2 DNM for one WP Groove 180.

What is that thing on your throttle which can show some numbers???

Powervelocity.com said:
That's just a volt meter integrated in the throttle. Can be handy t control state of charge when you don't have any dashboard or when you switch to a screen that shows no volts.

DasDouble said:
What is that thing on your throttle which can show some numbers???

Kind of handy if you don't want to run a CA.

I installed one of those on one of my bikes. It was a little too large and cheap feeling for my taste. I tore off the shiny part on the end. Also, despite having a ton of MC experience I prefer half twist throttles on my bicycles. I cut a high quality grip in half and match it with my favorite to date which is the one that EM3EV sells with the Bafang BBS kits.

Hello, I've tried to send you PM, but it didn't go thru.

Anyhoo, how much would you charge for one black frame shipped to Toronto, Canada?
Thanks a lot,

Routybouty said:
How do the 244s compare to the 241s for on-road riding? Are the 244s smoother/quieter?

The 244 have a harder compound then the 241s, I tried them both. The both perform equally well in most conditions, the 241 are better on really dry and loose surfaces, but the 244s will last longer. Thats the trade off. But I get about 2000 miles on 241s and I haven't ran 244s long enough to wear them out, but I suspect on a 5+kw ebike weighing between 100-130, the 244 is probably good for 3000 miles on an educated guess. I had 700 miles on one, and it almost had no signs of wear. This is my latest build, up to 10kw running an 18x1.4 MC rim with a 2.75-18 VRM021 and 2.75-19 VRM021 on the front. Collecting data on these tires, but to date I have tried over 25 different MC tires on my Bomber, Fighter, FLX Alpha, and Beta, to date, the SR241 are the best all around tire I have ran on an ebike. If you look in the upper right hand corner I got several 241 in stock a couple of Duro H307, and these. I am always on the search for a better and lighter MC tire combo that works well on and off road.

@ Powervelocity, not thread jacking you, I just posted this pic because to show tire options for awesome ebike builds such as yours.

Just saw some postings - sorry for slow reaction. Correct on the tires SR244 3.00-17 in the rear and 2.75-19 in the front. Funny though, this bike is MIA. I sold it to a customer who lost it to a thief (left the garage open overnight with the key in the ignition and with charger mounted in the frame). The thief got complete set without realizing it! Didn't even have to figure out charging. :lol:

Hey, Rix, No problem hijacking (not seeing it that way) - definitely appreciate you sharing your experiences.
One thing I noticed is that you mention SR241 as being the best all around but still running VRM021. How do they hold up and are they any lighter than 241/244? What are the pros and cons?

I have run 241 and 244 so far. 244 does seem to be a bit harder but it has a more aggressive look (people like them more).
241 is just a great practical all around tire that looks simple and does not pretend to be something else.

Both tires are noisy on pavement compared to road tires without knobs, like racing tires. But, well, you can expect that and that's a small price to pay for having the ability to run a bike on any terrain.

Rix said:
@ Powervelocity, not thread jacking you, I just posted this pic because to show tire options for awesome ebike builds such as yours.

As you noticed, I am running the VRMs currently, they run about 1 pound less than the SR241 in the same size. the tread of the VRM is slightly harder, like the 244, so they work as good as the 241 on hard packed everything, but not as good as the 241 in the loose stuff. The reason I haven't went back to the 241 is I got a deal on the VRM and have 6 of them stocked. So I will wear them out before going back to the 241.

What is the noise level from VRM compared to 241/244 when running 40 mph and above?
Do they have them in 17' size? One thing I noticed is it is hard to find 17 and 19 size combo. Only Shinko has it.
But I'd probably would go with 16' in the rear anyway if I had to go with new wheels.

Rix said:
As you noticed, I am running the VRMs currently, they run about 1 pound less than the SR241 in the same size. the tread of the VRM is slightly harder, like the 244, so they work as good as the 241 on hard packed everything, but not as good as the 241 in the loose stuff. The reason I haven't went back to the 241 is I got a deal on the VRM and have 6 of them stocked. So I will wear them out before going back to the 241.

Back