Need battery for EV global Ebike

I have a 24V EV Global Ebike with no battery. I know that its functional because it had a battery pack that didn't hold much of a charge and it ran for a few minutes on it. I sold the case and the charger on ebay thinking I would put in some lithiums in the bike.

So, now the question is, what's the best battery (as in bang for the buck) to put in this bike? I'll need it to have a range of 10 miles up a steady climb but I will pedal assist as much as i can and I weigh about 160 lbs. Ping? Headway? Lipo? Also, does anyone know which lead is positive and which is negative in the chassis? I didn't remember to check before I sold the battery case.

The rear pin is the positive contact might have a red wire going to it.
I filled my evg battery box with 48 a123 26650 cells and an even newer 4-24 bms. It`s 36 volts 9.2 amp hours and is good for 11 miles of abusive no pedal riding.
Can stretch it out to 20 miles by going slower than top speed and pedaling a lot.

Can 24v ev globals take 36v packs?

Where can I get a123 cells and can I build a pack without a tab welder.

Has anyone had success with ping packs or using lipo packs without BMS? Those seem like the cheapest turnkey options.

Cheapest turnkey option may be nicads. Worked great for me, one ebikes-ca pack in the area of the original battery and one on a rear rack gave me 9 miles of range on steep trails in the mountians. The same approach would work with any chemistry. Put as much as you can in the battery slot, most likely forget the battery box itself, and then put the rest on a rear rack.

The 24v motor can take 36v, but not the 24v controller. When you put in a new controller make sure it's not too big in amps and make sure to use the temp sensor leads. The leads just wire into the on off switch circuit on a controller.

When I used a fairly high, 35amp controller and didn't bother with the temp sensor an EV global motor I had lasted about 30 min. Fun though! Ran like a bat out a hell till the smoke came out at 36v.

Original controller is about 15 amps I think, 20 at 36v would be better than the 35 amp I used, and the sensor if used shuts it off in time.

I checked out the nicad at ebikes.ca and they are $175 for a 24V 8AH
I can get a lifepo4 24V 10AH for $199 from pingbattery.com
seems like its worth the extra 24 dollars to get better chemistry and 2 more AH. I would want NiCADs to be half the price of lifepo4 for me to consider them I think since they have half the cycle life right?

That's pretty good, considering you need to spend more for the nicad charger too. So pings cheaper.

At the time I bought nicads, the pingv1 10 ah pack was rated at 10 amps, while the nicads could do about 24, at 3c. Now a ping 10 ah can do 20 amps. And I wanted to try both series and paralell use of the nicads on different bikes.

HI - interesting stuff... i am thinking of purchasing a used EV global ebike for $250... it's seems to be in good shape (guy bought it to rent out in beach area) Anyway, I'm curious about the battery issue. I'll be using it for approx 10 mile roundtrip commute on flats (Florida) - don't know the full history of the battery... what is the possbilty of getting something for replacement if needed. will hopefully only need to use this ebike for several months before able to upgrade. This is my 1st ebike experience, would this be a good buy?

Some small lithium packs will not have the current capability, and the BMS will trip going up a hill. That is a heavy bike with a brushed, power hungry motor. The cheapest way is to put a couple SLA batteries on the rear rack. Another option would be some 5C rated Polymer. There have been several reports on here about those controllers burning up when operated at higher voltages.

I think you can only run 24v though the original wiring on a 24v EVG. Both the controller and the rear light would fry on more. But it is possible to run a 24v motor on 36v using a different controller, and not using the lights. Sme of our favorite lifepo4 batteries like the ping may have a hard time fitting into the battery box on an EVG. But the sla battery inside the box is very common, and you could just replace the sla's inside. Then add more on a rear rack if needed for range.

Or, you could just carry a lifepo4 battery on the rear rack, like a 24v 20 ah pingbattery.

Or you could go with lipo from hobby king, and put it inside the battery box, but the lipo method would be a bit complicated compared to a ping that comes with bms and charger.

The stock motor controller is fairly low amp, so a low discharge rate battery like the ping coulld run it fine in 20 ah size, or even 15 ah size. 10 ah would be too small.

beantown2024 said:
HI - interesting stuff... i am thinking of purchasing a used EV global ebike for $250... it's seems to be in good shape (guy bought it to rent out in beach area) Anyway, I'm curious about the battery issue. I'll be using it for approx 10 mile roundtrip commute on flats (Florida) - don't know the full history of the battery... what is the possbilty of getting something for replacement if needed. will hopefully only need to use this ebike for several months before able to upgrade. This is my 1st ebike experience, would this be a good buy?

got a used 24v nimh pack that would work - pm'd you

Back