Need help deciding about USX HD20 etrike upgrades

gaisom

100 mW
I currently own a Sun USX HD20 Trike with a wilderness energy 24v Brushed (Aotema) 20"front hub motor and some dyi 18650 10s packs I made up to try and keep it cheap.

The trike as it is won't do what I need it to. I need to be able to ride the trike for an estimated 20 mile round trip with a 2 mile 3% grade on the bike path. Additional problems are the following.
I weigh 330 lbs.
My dog weighs 100 lbs

I have estimated the weight of the trike and motor and everything else to be close to 500lbs, maybe 550. This includes the weight of an aluminum garden cart used as a trailer since I don't want to run my Chessy to death.

I am thinking of buying either the http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=107 in 48v 20t, or an E4 Mid mount motor kit from ElectroPortal http://electric-bikes.com/trikes/kits.html#E-4

I like the simplicity of installing the Mac 12T Front hub motor but find myself wondering about it's abilities with this heavy of a load uphill.

I am pretty sure the E4 kit would do what I want but I need help making the decision on which to get.

I will also be purchasing a LiFePo4 battery pack with BMS, I believe I can charge it with the Icharger 1010B+ that I already have.

I also need info on what AH of battery I would need to do this? The mid kit requires a 24 volt system and the Hub motor would be at 48 volts in the kit from EM3.

Speed is not a requirement as I am legally blind and 100% Service connected disabled with Heart Problems to boot.

Not in the cards, Been trying for years and now I can't walk or do anything much without being unable to breathe. Have been eating less than 1600 calories for over a year and nothing much happens. Dog is not fat, He is just a big Chesapeake Retriever. But this is not what this thread is about, would appreciate any thoughts you have on the upgrade.. :|

Sorry, just a fellow e-biker concern. I don't think MAC is an option for such weight. I would suggest contacting John in CR. He has some 2.5kW 2 speed hub motors that you could use as a mid drive. Properly geared it should be a blast and with 2 speeds you would have an option for your hills. They are more efficient than most unbranded Chinese stuff so less battery goes to waist. If i remember correctly it goes for $295.
I would go for 48V and 30-40AH system in such case. Amerwolf would advise you on wattage usage cause he has a big heavy bike and hauls a trailer with retriever as well i think. Sorry, but cant be more of help here.

Yeah, I thought about putting it there in the first place.
I decided if it was going to put too much pull on the stuff I got the dog and trailer can just stay home.
I ordered the following from EM3ev.
1 x Cycle Analyst Ebike Computer, CA-DPS, Vers.2.3
1 x Thumb Throttle with 3sp Switch for EM3ev Infineon
1 x Grin Tech Rev3 Front Torque Arm
1 x Upgrade EM3ev vers. Mac , 500/1000W 10T Pick'n'Mix Kit
1 x 50V 16.4Ah Samsung Rectangular Pack
1 x Aluminium Case Charger 58.8V 5A,14S Li Ion/NCM (with Switch

I just sent him an email requesting to change the rim to a DX32 Alex rim in 20". Just hoping the motor will be the same size or smaller than my brushed Aetoma WE kit motor so I don't have to modify or replace my forks for it all to fit.

Yes, I know it is not what you recommended but if it doesn't work I just got some unexpected funds that are tax free and decided to use some of it to just enjoy myself for a bit. Besides, if it still won't do what I want I will give the whole kit and kaboodle to the wife and just purchase a complete Trike set up to do what I want. :roll:

In my modeling of the system I actually got better range and efficiency with the 9FET 30amp controller but decided to go with the 12 fet 40 amp for future upgrades. I also have an Icharger 1010b+ already, but decided to get the plug and play charger shown so I can use the other one on the bike I am putting together for my wife. My WE kit will go on her bike. That is if I can get her to ride a 20" er.

I didn't go with the LifePo battery, but like I said, it is all replaceable :p

Got everything installed and mostly set up. Cruise Control won't work so either I have it connected wrong or I don't know how to use it.

What a difference this kit made. Rode 10 miles yesterday limiting the speed to 14mph and the controller to 30 amps with the Cycle Analyst. Started at 57 volts and ended at 55.7 with a long slow grade on the way back, well, only 3% grade or so.

Next time I do that ride I will make sure not to reset the CA before I get all the info.

Just to see what it would act like I set the amps limit to 50 and removed the speed limit. Throttle got very touchy and did a burnout without meaning to (I see a front Handlebar Bag in the future) . Full Throttle is good for 41KPH or 25mph if I converted it right. Got to change the CA to Miles today.

I will take it for about a 16 mile round trip today to the Skookumchuck river along with some Steelhead gear and see if it gives me the range to go fishing again.

So far I am VERY satisfied.

Back