need to wire 3-wire hub motor to 9-wire controller

DTBAKER61

1 mW
so.... trying to help out a buddy that has an 'older' eBike w 3-wire 48v hub motor... controller/display died after 6 years, so we ordered a new pair of matching KT controller/display, with PAS only, no throttle which was how he's used to riding; turn out the new controller is a 9-wire 'sensor-ed' type.

I am wondering if there is a wiring harness I can buy, or a schematic I can follow, to wire in what the Controller needs for the 6-wire sensor input in addition to the normal 3-wire that I have from the old motor?

What is the controller 6-wire plug expecting? Can I re-wire to feed it correct voltages to 'think' it has sensors working so the PAS will kick in once pedalling?

Buy a sensorless controller, those use 3 big phase wires, then you connect the learn wires together to get it moving, then you flick the throttle to get the motor moving int he right direction.

https://evfittinggreentime.aliexpress.com/store/313864

edit
Ooops forgot to also add that you then disconnect the learn wires once you got the wheel spinning in the right direction
the learn wires are usually white.

Best to take a picture of your new controller with the wires spread out so you can print off a picture and write down what each wire does, some controllers have labels that last on the wires, and other controllers do not.

You can use a sensorless "3 wire" controller on an 8 or 9 wire motor, but you usually can't use an 8 or 9 wire controller on a 3 wire motor. (There are some controllers that will work in either mode).

DTBAKER61 said:
What is the controller 6-wire plug expecting? Can I re-wire to feed it correct voltages to 'think' it has sensors working so the PAS will kick in once pedalling?

The controller will be expecting three hall sensor signals triggered by the magnets in the rotor of the motor. They sense the rotor position in the motor so the controller can appropriately generate a rotating magnetic field in the stator windings.

So no… you can’t feed it random voltages and have it work. It needs to be a feedback system linked to the motor rotation.

Back