New Bafang Crank-Drives

Well my OG 6 FET controller finally bit the dust after about 2000 miles. FETs cooked. Found out it was limited to 20 amps in the software. It started running more inefficiently - more watt hours per mile - towards the end. Interestingly my well calibrated amp meter showed I was drawing 30 amps continuously at full throttle (only captured that data for the last 200 miles of its life, no data before then. I wonder how that could be. Incredibly inefficient if 30 is going in and 20 is going out. Is that a typical symptom of impending failure? or was that a symptom of motor issues which then lead to the controller failure. I did have to solder together one of the leads going to the motor as I broke a few strands taking it apart much earlier, could that have caused the high current drain?. I definitely got my money's worth. I beat the heck out of it, going full throttle, full amp draw 30+ mph for 10+ miles often. Ordering a new one now because I don't trust the motor.

Is it worth buying a new controller for the old motor to use it for light duty on another bike? Maybe limit it to 18 amps? is there some way to tell if the motor has been damaged by overheating?

opperpanter said:
LyonNightroad said:
opperpanter said:
Anybody managed to find/create a thumb/twist throttle with cruise control for the BBS0x?
I am also interested in this.
Paul/cellman told me this isn't possible with the bbs0x because the controller doesn't support it.
Wouldn't it be possible to create something that sends a fixed/chosen voltage the controller?
Even a 3 speed switch would be something.

That's what I am picturing. Not an actual speed based cruise control but basically a 'hold' function where I push the throttle to a point, press a button, and then release the throttle but the throttle continues the same output as when I pushed the button. All of this could be handled inside the throttle itself. Theoretically you could use an arduino to create something like this and even pull in a speed sensor to do it and then dynamically increase/decrease the throttle based on the actual vs desired speed.

At a minimum I would take a throttle that also has a full throttle button and then use the assist level to vary the speed. I could just use a rubber band on the throttle but that is cumbersome.

What do we have here?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/electric-bike-accessories-cruise-control-for_60081909479.html?spm=a2700.7724857.35.1.5PYt9a

Not sure if that would work actually, not sure if it is an 'intercept type. I don't think it is.

Suppose this isnt really specific to the bbs02

LyonNightroad said:
What do we have here?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/electric-bike-accessories-cruise-control-for_60081909479.html?spm=a2700.7724857.35.1.5PYt9a
Can you tell us what it's called? The link leads to ali express homepage. At least on mobile.

Yep, this is what we needed:

file.php

dumbass said:
I can't comment on fets upgrade but I can tell you I just installed one of the newest 750w 25A controllers on my 2year old 500w. I did a 15 mile test ride yesterday and it ran perfect. My screen on the older kit is a 961 model. Even the setup through the 961 was straight forward just as before. I wasn't sure how the setup would go because the "0" setting is throttle controlled and I have for throttle available on a settings 0 through 9.

Bob
We know from the thread today that EM3ev and California eBikes have upgraded FET's. 3077's

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71220

tomjasz said:
dumbass said:
I can't comment on fets upgrade but I can tell you I just installed one of the newest 750w 25A controllers on my 2year old 500w. I did a 15 mile test ride yesterday and it ran perfect. My screen on the older kit is a 961 model. Even the setup through the 961 was straight forward just as before. I wasn't sure how the setup would go because the "0" setting is throttle controlled and I have for throttle available on a settings 0 through 9.

Bob
We know from the thread today that EM3ev and California eBikes have upgraded FET's. 3077's

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71220

Yep, and I got 2 controllers with the ".1" designation.. And they are working great.

Bob

Hi Guys,

I was hoping everyone could reply with how many total miles they have had out of their mid drive kits and what/if/when they have any failures.
I have a 36v 500w bbs02 with a dead battery and some odd internal noises at 1500 kilometers. I am trying to get an idea of reliability to help me decide if i buy a new 750w kit or go back to a hub motor.

Thanks

krunchi said:
Hi Guys,

I was hoping everyone could reply with how many total miles they have had out of their mid drive kits and what/if/when they have any failures.
I have a 36v 500w bbs02 with a dead battery and some odd internal noises at 1500 kilometers. I am trying to get an idea of reliability to help me decide if i buy a new 750w kit or go back to a hub motor.

Thanks
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61108

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58898&p=880653

krunchi said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

I at about 2000 km now without problems. BBS01 36 V 250 W. I bought it in may 2014. I have used it in rain and below -20°C temperatures several times. If you get a BBS02 make sure you don't ride around at a very low rpm. Shift sensibly to keep the motor running at an appropriate rpm and the gear train and controller load will be low.

opperpanter said:
LyonNightroad said:
opperpanter said:
Anybody managed to find/create a thumb/twist throttle with cruise control for the BBS0x?
Paul/cellman told me this isn't possible with the bbs0x because the controller doesn't support it.
Wouldn't it be possible to create something that sends a fixed/chosen voltage the controller?

Take the spring out of the thumb throttle.

Just make sure you've got the ebrake hooked up.

amigafan2003 said:
opperpanter said:
LyonNightroad said:
opperpanter said:

Take the spring out of the thumb throttle.

Just make sure you've got the ebrake hooked up.
Yeah, thought about that. But as soon as you release the brake, throttle will kick in. So not very safe.
I also noticed that when you tighten the thumb throttle too much, it will also stock in position :)

so currently up to date, which display is the best? paul now stocks all 3 and not sure which one to get...

Until there is CA3 adaptability it's a toss up. I still prefer the 961. Any added features on later versions are marginal at best. Deicide based on aesthetics IMO.

Just how old was my unit if it came from the factory limited to 20 amps despite the 25 amp stamp on the controller? I bought mine on ebay last year. It definitely was 6 fet but the 20 amp seems odd as I have only heard 22 amp limited from factory.

LyonNightroad said:
Just how old was my unit if it came from the factory limited to 20 amps despite the 25 amp stamp on the controller? I bought mine on ebay last year. It definitely was 6 fet but the 20 amp seems odd as I have only heard 22 amp limited from factory.

What is the serial number? The first two digits are the year, second two digits are the month, and third two are the day. The last four are the piece number (not sure if that is per day, per month, or something else).

jtrops said:
LyonNightroad said:

What is the serial number? The first two digits are the year, second two digits are the month, and third two are the day. The last four are the piece number (not sure if that is per day, per month, or something.

02/19/2014 in software: hardware version 2.2 max amps: 20

krunchi said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

Over 2300 miles on my BBS02 so far of which about half is on forest trails.
All up weight about 135Kg.
Rode through a major thunderstorm no problem and regularly ride through a ford that comes up to the top of the motor.
No failures so far but onto 3rd chain and second cassette,still original 44T chainring with no visible wear.
Hills up to 25% in all directions from home.

droner said:
Occasionally, when peddling hard, and using a high assist setting there will occasionally be sudden grinding slip-like noises coming from the motor. Sounds bad. I don't believe that this is coming from the sprocket/chain/freewheel drive train, as it happens when in a constant gear. I have a quite new drive train, so no wear factors. The only variable is that it happens only under high power settings. If I go on a long ride on #2 out of 5, it never happens. If I want to go really fast in setting #5 it will happen as soon as I really pedal hard.

Could it be the low voltage warning? It is kind of a nasty sound. High power can drop the voltage as much as 4.0 from the resting V. So if you are below 45 V resting, the voltage cutoff is a possibility.

So I got my new bbs02 in the mail today. Built may 15 2015. Runs much smoother than my february 2014 model that had over 1500 miles on it. It also seems more efficient per mile at any given speed. Now here is where things get weird. Max amp draw is 25 amps on the meter. On my old bbs02 the max amp draw was 30, despite being limited to 20 amps in the controller settings. I have not checked the controller settings of this new one but this seems odd. I thought all the new bbs02s now are set at 25amps. It cant be though as that would be 100% efficency. Super weird on both motors.

Does anybody know where I can buy the connectors for the bafang mid drive? .. Programming and brakes ?

Back