New Bafang Crank-Drives

pjgold said:
Also any tips for removing the crank arm, I have the correct puller but it won't budge and i don't want to strip the threads.
Put a reasonable tension on with the puller. Then hold a reasonable size metal mass (a couple of kilos is good) on one side of the crank and hit the other side with a good size hammer. The blow should be absorbed by the metal mass and the shock will dislodge the crank from the taper. On other bikes I've found this works even when the threads are too damaged to attach a puller.

The crank bolts came with thread lock but I removed the cranks once and didn't put new thread lock when they were refitted. I've had the crank arms on both sides come loose after 500-1000 kilometres and now put thread lock on the crank bolts. I've never had to do this on other bikes which makes me think the tapers in the crank arms are imprecise. So far, nothing else has come loose. In my view thread lock is a last resort because it isn't necessary when things are undamaged and well designed and is horrible when things are pulled apart and reassembled.

Ken Taylor said:
pjgold said:
Also any tips for removing the crank arm, I have the correct puller but it won't budge and i don't want to strip the threads.
Put a reasonable tension on with the puller. Then hold a reasonable size metal mass (a couple of kilos is good) on one side of the crank and hit the other side with a good size hammer. The blow should be absorbed by the metal mass and the shock will dislodge the crank from the taper. On other bikes I've found this works even when the threads are too damaged to attach a puller.

The crank bolts came with thread lock but I removed the cranks once and didn't put new thread lock when they were refitted. I've had the crank arms on both sides come loose after 500-1000 kilometres and now put thread lock on the crank bolts. I've never had to do this on other bikes which makes me think the tapers in the crank arms are imprecise. So far, nothing else has come loose. In my view thread lock is a last resort because it isn't necessary when things are undamaged and well designed and is horrible when things are pulled apart and reassembled.

Thanks that got it crank off. I've cleaned it all up and refitted the bottom bracket clamp and lock nuts with some medium thread lock so I'll see how it goes.

Just finished my first ebike using bbs01 350w. What a nice feeling :)

Got one minor problem tho. The c961 is telling me that I've been running longer than I have. I rode like 10 miles, but it tells me that I rode 18 miles. Did I install the speed sensor incorrectly? I left about 2 mm between magnet and sensor. Speed reports seems accurate, but I will do some more accurate tests using some kind of gps-speed-app on my phone to compare.

Other than that, the bafang bbs01 350w is more than enough for my needs, the occasional hill is no problem either.

fingret said:
... The c961 is telling me that I've been running longer than I have. I rode like 10 miles, but it tells me that I rode 18 miles. ... Speed reports seems accurate...
Perhaps you have the wheel diameter set incorrectly but that would mean you were travelling a lot slower than you thought.

I am planning to combine a 500w @36v BBS02 with a 3p12s battery. This means 43v for the 36v BBS motor.

Meanwhile the programming of BBS firmware works and offers a bunch of possible parameter tunings.

If I am setting the voltage to 43v and confine the current to 18..20a will this works without overheating the controller or other problems with the motor?

The motor will be build into a MTB for mountain tours.

RC23 said:
I am planning to combine a 500w @36v BBS02 with a 3p12s battery. This means 43v for the 36v BBS motor.

Meanwhile the programming of BBS firmware works and offers a bunch of possible parameter tunings.

If I am setting the voltage to 43v and confine the current to 18..20a will this works without overheating the controller or other problems with the motor?

The motor will be build into a MTB for mountain tours.

If I'm not mistaken the BBS02 is a 48v kit not a 36v kit. Therefore, your not going to be very impressed with it's power and I think the manufactures controller cutout is set around 42v. So your not only not going to enjoy the true power of the motor but what you do get will be for a short ride.

Bob

The BBS02 will be offered also as a 36v variant if I understand this advert right: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LATEST-VERSION-36v-500w-8fun-bafang-bafun-motor-BBS-02-Center-mid-drive-Crank-Motor-eletric/1780765540.html

Ruediger (= Roger)

If anyone will see BBS02 750W cheaper than on em3ev.com tell me :)
Ps. It must be after update.

Or maybe know ebike kit motor without rolling resistance if I use only manual?

tumich said:
If anyone will see BBS02 750W cheaper than on em3ev.com tell me :)
Ps. It must be after update.

Or maybe know ebike kit motor without rolling resistance if I use only manual?
There are cheaper, but good luck on reasonably responsive support when and if there is a problem. EM3ev is a given. Paul supports what he sells. Is saving 30USD worth having a BBS01-2 waiting weeks to solve a simple problem?

RC23 said:
The BBS02 will be offered also as a 36v variant if I understand this advert right: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LATEST-VERSION-36v-500w-8fun-bafang-bafun-motor-BBS-02-Center-mid-drive-Crank-Motor-eletric/1780765540.html

Ruediger (= Roger)
I don't think I'd rely on an Aliexpress blurb for an accurate description, much less accurate specs. But YMMV.

tomjasz said:
RC23 said:

Ruediger (= Roger)
I don't think I'd rely on an Aliexpress blurb for an accurate description, much less accurate specs. But YMMV.

Especially from "General Electronics Battery Co., Ltd." they made me wait a month, then my order automatically cancelled, they didn't even contactme to arrange an alternative, or to tell me they didn't have the stock, or whatever the problem was. I even enquired about a shipping date weeks before it cancelled, and NOTHING!

I'd never use them, it their support is that bbad BEFORE you even get the product. :shock:

Clobber said:
tomjasz said:
RC23 said:

Ruediger (= Roger)

Especially from "General Electronics Battery Co., Ltd." they made me wait a month, then my order automatically cancelled, they didn't even contactme to arrange an alternative, or to tell me they didn't have the stock, or whatever the problem was. I even enquired about a shipping date weeks before it cancelled, and NOTHING!

I'd never use them, it their support is that bbad BEFORE you even get the product. :shock:

Thanks for your feedback about the bad support of "General Electronics Battery Co., Ltd." It´s frustrating with such a behavior.

On BMS the BBS02 is specified as dual voltage 36v / 48v if I interprete the text right. http://www.bmsbattery.com/central-motor/636-48v350w-bbs01-bafang-central-motor.html

BMS Anzeige 500W BBS02.PNG

German dealers offer also the 36v BBS02 variant.

RC23 said:

Ruediger (= Roger)

Aliexpress ads are notoriously innaccurate. Paul at em3ev maintains a news page - frankly the only place I'd look for accurate info and updates apart from bafang's own web site (which has never been very informative anyway).

Savvas

samsavvas said:
RC23 said:

Ruediger (= Roger)

Aliexpress ads are notoriously innaccurate. Paul at em3ev maintains a news page - frankly the only place I'd look for accurate info and updates apart from bafang's own web site (which has never been very informative anyway).

Thank´s a lot for your hint. I will test it by sending a mail to em3ev with questions.

Ruediger

RC23 said:
On BMS the BBS02 is specified as dual voltage 36v / 48v if I interprete the text right. http://www.bmsbattery.com/central-motor/636-48v350w-bbs01-bafang-central-motor.html
I think they are not dual voltage and those versions have different winds as described at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=883010&hilit=+wind#p883010 . The BBS02 seems to be the most popular version in this thread but for me at least the BBS01 has more than enough power. I'd recommend the BBS01 48V version based on the issues discussed at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=883010&hilit=+wind#p883010 . The variants as I understand them are described at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=871713#p871713 .

Finnaly im sure that I will buy this Bafang from em3ev.com from Paul but without battery kit. I will buy battery kit from this guy from Aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/new-bottle-battery-case-electric-bike-battery-case-ebike-battery-case-ebike-battery-carry/637802_1600570969.html , he sell me it cheaper 25% than now is on Ali price. Also I have 100 x of brand new LG 18650 cells - 2850mAh (bought for 3$ each) so i think I will make 2 battery packs for 50 cells. One from Ali and looking for second box which will fit with my full suspension frame :D

tumich said:
Finnaly im sure that I will buy this Bafang from em3ev.com from Paul but without battery kit.
I bought an empty battery case from em3ev so if you like the style you could add one to your order.
tumich said:
I will buy battery kit from this guy from Aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/new-bottle-battery-case-electric-bike-battery-case-ebike-battery-case-ebike-battery-carry/637802_1600570969.html , he sell me it cheaper 25% than now is on Ali price.
Buying batteries based on price from someone unknown is a lot more risky than buying a motor. Almost all cheap batteries use low quality production line reject cells. Also, splitting orders kills you on the freight costs.
tumich said:
Also I have 100 x of brand new LG 18650 cells - 2850mAh (bought for 3$ each) so i think I will make 2 battery packs for 50 cells. One from Ali and looking for second box which will fit with my full suspension frame :D
Em3ev's battery box will fit up to 90 of those but in my experience battery manufacture from individual cells is a not for the faint hearted.

Good luck.

Ken Taylor said:
tumich said:
Finnaly im sure that I will buy this Bafang from em3ev.com from Paul but without battery kit.
I bought an empty battery case from em3ev so if you like the style you could add one to your order.
tumich said:
I will buy battery kit from this guy from Aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/new-bottle-battery-case-electric-bike-battery-case-ebike-battery-case-ebike-battery-carry/637802_1600570969.html , he sell me it cheaper 25% than now is on Ali price.
Buying batteries based on price from someone unknown is a lot more risky than buying a motor. Almost all cheap batteries use low quality production line reject cells. Also, splitting orders kills you on the freight costs.
tumich said:
Also I have 100 x of brand new LG 18650 cells - 2850mAh (bought for 3$ each) so i think I will make 2 battery packs for 50 cells. One from Ali and looking for second box which will fit with my full suspension frame :D
Em3ev's battery box will fit up to 90 of those but in my experience battery manufacture from individual cells is a not for the faint hearted.

Good luck.

Thanks for reply. How much cost empty box for 18650 on em3ev.com? I didn regonised there. I tested this Lg 18650 on discharger and the capacity is true. It's comes from Bosch PowerPack from factory :)

tumich said:
Thanks for reply. How much cost empty box for 18650 on em3ev.com? I didn regonised there. I tested this Lg 18650 on discharger and the capacity is true. It's comes from Bosch PowerPack from factory :)
Sorry. I didn't follow your link and thought you were buying the whole battery on Aliexpress, which is what I was commenting on. Glad you got the batteries from a good source. I was also wrong on the number of cells in Em3ev's box. It is also a maximum of 50. I think the box on Aliexpress is the same box Em3ev uses and I paid the same price as advertised on Aliexpress. You can still save the freight by buying on one order. You need this bit though "Built-in IC chip will prevent battery pack over charge, over discharge, over-current, over-heat, short circuit and prolongs battery life." and I didn't get that with the box supplied by Em3ev.

If I ever build another one I'd want to have a spot welder.

I have a 3.5kw hubby motor, however I mostly cruise at 28-30mph for the hills make it barely able to get to work on batteries. 10ah lipo

think this kit would make a way better commute?

Looking for a deal on just a base for the EM3ev down tube battery case. Anyone willing to piggy back a base on their order? I just organized a group buy on cables. Helping each other get the parts we need is one of the best parts of this community for me. A way cool way to save $$ and build alliances. Thanks ES!

tomjasz said:
Looking for a deal on just a base for the EM3ev down tube battery case. Anyone willing to piggy back a base on their order? I just organized a group buy on cables. Helping each other get the parts we need is one of the best parts of this community for me. A way cool way to save $$ and build alliances. Thanks ES!
PM sent.

This bafang bbs02750w support hydraulic brakes?

If you have hydraulic cut off brakes there's no reason why it wouldn't support them. Most standard hydraulic brakes don't have the Hall signal and therefore typically cannot be used with ebike functions without adding some sort of custom modification to add the switch

Does anyone here know what kind of regulator is used to supply 5 V in the BBS controller? Wondering if I can drive something else off it. I have a 1,5W LED lamp and it would be cool if I didn't have to install another voltage regulator.

EDIT:
I tried. It works, but the light is dimmer than with a stronger regulator, so it probably is a bit much for the BBS regulator, and will throw off the accuracy of any signal which relies on the 5V. I'll install a little regulator in the battery box by the BMS.

Still waiting for my Lipos to get here. Over a month now. :p

Back