New bike day!

Built up a BBSHD on this Jones HD-e frame set and did not have to use any spacers to have a perfect chainline. Jeff Jones specifically designed this steel frame set for the BBSxx mid drive, though you can use others. Rides perfectly and is so comfortable with the upright body position and long wheel base. This is the cleanest it will ever be, lol.
IMG_6163.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6170.jpeg
    IMG_6170.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
I like that bike a lot, the tire size is ideal for any serious rider who goes off the path.

How tall are you. ? What in the triangle. ? What version of bafang HD ? Looks tight
I’m 6’2”, stand over on the bike is around 32”. The triangle holds a 20ah battery, tools and a tube. Motor is a Luna “off-road” 52volt BBSHD. Had this setup on a Surly Karate Monkey and could never get the chainline right for low gears and the chainring clearance on the Surly created the worst chainsuck in wet and dirty conditions. I’m hoping this will be the best solution for my needs. Lots of clearance and on the street it rides like a dream. Just don’t want it to get dirty yet, lol.

Hey OP, Tamaranchorider, this long wheel base Jones frame looks like it might solve my BBSHD issues. I'm finishing my first home-built now, after 3 seasons on a Luna X1. My BBSHD is on an 20+ year old steel MTB frame without rear disk brake because the modern frames I tried couldn't produce decent chain-line. Please do keep updating us here, especially on off-road handling and shifting. Thank you.

Tamar ranch orderly. What is speed on flat road and are you satisfied with its hill climbing ability ?
The bike has a 42 front chainring and I’m running a 12/34 cassette. On flat road I can hit just over 30mph pedaling briskly which is fine for me. Climbing is what I made this bike for. I have a lot of hills in my area and will climb over 5000 feet on a 50-mile loop. The BBSHD is perfect for this. I’m now 63 and after a lifetime of cycling, the knees aren’t what they used to be.

Hey OP, Tamaranchorider, this long wheel base Jones frame looks like it might solve my BBSHD issues. I'm finishing my first home-built now, after 3 seasons on a Luna X1. My BBSHD is on an 20+ year old steel MTB frame without rear disk brake because the modern frames I tried couldn't produce decent chain-line. Please do keep updating us here, especially on off-road handling and shifting. Thank you.
Here’s a comparison of the large HD-e frame and the large Surly Karate Monkey frame. About 2.5 inches longer. To correct the chainline of the Surly I rearranged the cassette to have the 34 in the middle leaving me with just 5 gears. That’s fine because of the torque from the BBSH but it didn’t fix the chainsuck whenever the chain got dirty or worn out chainring. That was damaging the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
Back