New bikes (to me) huffy & panasonic

nutnspecial

10 MW
My 'E' is currently down, so these came along at a great time, just b4 the neighbor was about to scrap them from his garage.

I appreciate these old bikes, but am not sure what to do with them. Surprisingly they may have a combined value of a couple hundred, but I'd be surprised if people are buying these on ebay and dealing with shipping.

The panasonic only needed some oil and air, and gets around town quite nice. '84-'86
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=panasonic+sport+1000&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpanasonic+sport+1000+womens.TRS0&_nkw=panasonic+sport+1000+womens&_sacat=0
100_1794.JPG

The huffy has a 3spd igh and shouldn't need anything other than air/oil and a shifter knob. 1970's
https://www.google.com/search?q=huffy+all+pro+womens&biw=883&bih=390&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjB1YOMs8rNAhWFND4KHZUgA5gQsAQIIg#imgrc=yJsBvOYCndyz-M%3A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HUFFY-ALL-PRO-GIRLS-3-SPEED-BICYCLE-MILEAGE-METER-UNIQUE-YMS-BUBBLE-BELL-/262498306898?hash=item3d1e1e4b52:g:ZV0AAOSwn8FXSckE
642558.jpg

Both are pretty darn clean, and I'm tempted to sell as-is, or put some sort of kit on the huffy to sell, and keep the roadie as a backup transport.

Just curious of any input, and/or what you'd do with them.

I'd keep the roadie as unpowered transport, for fun or backup.

I have a Nishiki that I keep around for that reason, though I couldn't pedal it far (sometimes not even to the street or around the block), and I intend to eventually build a mount for a Kepler Eboost I've got around here to it at some point, or my own "home-grown" version of a BBS-type drive made out of an old "geared" (roller) hubmotor.

The Huffy; if you can't really use it, and it's worth something, I'd put it up on consignment at a bike shop, or craigslist, or whatever.

If it's not really worht anything then I'd use it for parts for one of my projects, or if it all works I'd more likely give it to someone that I run across that needs a bike.

FWIW, at one time I had two Huffy's almost exactly like that one, though both had derailer drive trains instead of IGHs. One was originally bright pink but had faded to nearly white in places (under clamps and such it was still very bright). The other I think was blue. Both were pretty heavy plain steel tubing rather than light cromoly; I think tha'ts probably why they were taken after the fire.

Thanks man, I'm thinking the same.
If anything at all, a friction drive would be fun on the roadie. It would be especially fun to repurpose some stuff and diy it. In the meantime it's a nice lite bike to get down the road. And isn't it extra hip to ride an old purplish bike that is not 'for' your gender :?: :lol:

And maybe for the huffy 3spd, a tangent middrive? :twisted:

I guess I don't know too many people nearby I think would appreciate one of these bikes, but it's fun to keep an eye out for someone. In the meantime I'll 'take care' of them.

Back