New BMSBattery bottle style batteries

mlt34

100 kW
I just got some pics in of the new style batteries. They look nice for beginners, easy to install and use. I'm waiting for more info on the new controllers they are providing with the battery.

http://www.bmsbattery.com/battery-pack/685-bottle-ebike-battery.html
IMG_3138 copy.jpg
IMG_3139 copy.jpg
IMG_3156 copy.jpg
IMG_3159 copy.jpg
IMG_3163 copy.jpg
IMG_3164 copy.JPG

roundtoit said:
That battery looks exactly like the one supplied with the Dillenger 10 ah kit. They have the controller in the battery.
Yea those things tend to get passed around china. One company starts with it then unlabeled versions pop up everywhere. I want to see better specs on the controller next.

I'd rather call them frame mount, or bottle mount that bottle battery. The box should be able to hold a lot better capacity than the old bottles, at 36v.

The question is, what cells are inside, and do they sort them for resistance at all? Even if weak cells are inside, they will be perfect for the smaller, low wattage kits. Then people will want to run them on 40 amps controllers. :roll:

Yea I'm waiting to hear back on the cells. The nice thing about the controller being inside is that it keeps people from trying to run a huge controller that the cells can't handle. This could be a great intro part.

I agree the 'bottle battery' nomenclature is misleading. I'm guess they stick with it because it uses the bottle bosses.

I just purchased 2 of their 36v 14ah packs to see how they hold up... fair price if they are ok.

One thing i do not like about the mounting bracket is the flat surface, it does not hold solidly on round tubes. .. i got one from cellman a while back and had to use zip ties at the top loops, no way to use a hose clamp as the pack uses the entire mounting surface..

Ypedal said:
One thing i do not like about the mounting bracket is the flat surface, it does not hold solidly on round tubes.

Interesting. Yes, the normal bottle batteries mounting plate is only about a centimeter wide, but has a curve to it, so I guess that makes all the difference. Someone should make a 3D printed rounded sleeve to go under this mounting plate.

What a neat battery with a very clean factory look, Ypedal please do an update & or review on these if possible as I'm in the market for a battery soon for a FS MTB build I'm about to do.

50yearoldebiker said:
What a neat battery with a very clean factory look, Ypedal please do an update & or review on these if possible as I'm in the market for a battery soon for a FS MTB build I'm about to do.

Full suspension could be a problem because many frames won't have room in the front triangle for this battery. I'll bet Ypedal can give exact dimensions though to help you see if it will fit.

MLT34 , you are correct sir I'm waiting for the bike to arrive for accurate measurement the shock absorber in the frame does take up a lot of space for mounting a battery , bike does have water bottle mount screws inside the frame but looks tight.
This my one of my favorite designs for battery installation a bike I had & put thousands of miles on E-Maxi MIPower, snug fit 14 AH battery in there seated perfectly, hardtail though ..great design

Pretty!

Another option I've done on FS bikes is to mount the battery under the down tube, far enough back that it hopefully doesn't interfere with the front tire when you bottom out the suspension. The old style bottle batteries were good for this since the 'nose' tapered anyways. These are a bit taller, it appears, but you might be able to get away with adjusting the travel just a bit.

Another benefit of mounting it lower is you get a lower center of gravity, always a good thing.

Edit: Also, the AirZound is an amazing thing, isn't it?!

Yeah Man the down tube idea I'm considering a true water bottle design may work out, I'm still considering all options & taking my time on this build as I want it too look & perform properly , I've thrown on kits before, bought factory bikes so I have a vision of how I want it to turn out :D
This is a picture I took today of my Pedego City Commuter with her new Schwalbe Big Apple 235 tires I just installed here in Florida, {check out the the vultures ! } I do like it's integrated battery design but I don't think it would be a good idea for a MTB even one with a FS nor would a bolt on rack ..[img][/img]
Oh & yes I do love the Air Zound air horns they get installed on all my bikes proof here in the picture of my City Commuter , sorry don't mean to hijack the thread one could fit some big BMS water style batteries in the frame of this 29er ! I wish I had 1/2 the space to work with on my new 17" KHS FS MTB I ordered LOL..big difference.. :)

I live chatted with Bin Li on bmsbattery a couple nights ago. I asked if this controller would be made available as a spare in the future. They said of course. I asked if I could add spare right now to my order. They went and asked, apparently, and the answer was no. I asked if this controller supported all of the functions of the lcd3 and they logged off the chat window. huh.

My big questions are: does it support motor temp? And when will this controller be available as a spare? The kit comes with an lcd3 but I don't see another s series controller that pulls 20a continuous specifically. There's 15a and 25a but not 20a. Just in this frame battery. Also, if you click on the data page for this battery it says it's only 10a continuous an 20a peak. I message them about this and there's been no response. Not too impressed by this company.

They arrived just a moment ago.

ecity pulled the o'l " We need more money for shipping " after i paid for FedEx service, they all of a sudden are only able to ship via UPS... i objected and negotiated for half of their requested 48$ extra.

Initial observations :

- 2 packs, one UK plug and one US/CAN plug.. :evil:
- Handles should be spring loaded but are just flopping around
- No power wires installed, and no grommets for the sharp castings

cracking them open now to investigate further. fyi.

Opened both packs, tab welds look good, BMS also looks ok.. fixed the spring ( was a bitch to get in the right spot.. but i got them in there. )

Soldered up power wires to the racks.. ran a discharge test at 5 amps, got 12.5 ah and still going ( i pulled the plug instead of allowing the bms to shut down.. it's a new pack after all.. i'm sure they would have delivered 13+ ah .. )

Bolting one of the packs up to a Flyer cruiser right now.. almost done. pictures in a bit.

Hello,
Can you check the max disharge? is it possible to solder the shunt in the controller?

Ypedal said:
Soldered up power wires to the racks.. ran a discharge test at 5 amps, got 12.5 ah and still going ( i pulled the plug instead of allowing the bms to shut down.. it's a new pack after all.. i'm sure they would have delivered 13+ ah .. )

What was the (resting) pack voltage at 12.5 Ah?

I have a 13S4P 29E pack like this (from different vendor) and there's no way I'm going to get the rated capacity due to significant voltage sag under load. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62552

-R

Ypedal said:
I just purchased 2 of their 36v 14ah packs to see how they hold up... fair price if they are ok.

I'm considering the same pack for my next build. Could you give us the exact dimensions? If you could take some additional pictures that would be great. I'm particularly interested in the mosfets in the controller and the connectors. Thanks!

Ypedal what can you say about the mount of this battery?
Would it hold for offroad riding?
If you mount it upside down under the downtube would it hold firm?

Look forward to hear feedback since I`m concidering buing one along with a BBS02.

Regarding the controller version

bmsb said:
It only fits the motor with inner speed sensor. Please make sure your motor has inner speed sensor. It doesn't fit the external speed sensor.

Having heard other sine controllers shut down after 10 minutes without the speed sensor, I'm put off. Also the display would be pointless if this means the tacho won't work. I have asked them about motors with internal speed sensors and they say the Q series and bafangs have this. I replied no Q series lists this and the bafang they just sent has no extra wires, but got no response.

I don't actually see the point in an internal speed sensor. Many have halls for positioning. That is the same information. I will have to ask again.

friendly1uk said:

bmsb said:
It only fits the motor with inner speed sensor. Please make sure your motor has inner speed sensor. It doesn't fit the external speed sensor.

Having heard other sine controllers shut down after 10 minutes without the speed sensor, I'm put off. Also the display would be pointless if this means the tacho won't work. I have asked them about motors with internal speed sensors and they say the Q series and bafangs have this. I replied no Q series lists this and the bafang they just sent has no extra wires, but got no response.

I don't actually see the point in an internal speed sensor. Many have halls for positioning. That is the same information. I will have to ask again.

Perhaps you can wire in a jumper from the display's speed sensor wire to a single hall sensor. That's exactly how the cycle analyst works, it measures motor speed by tapping into one of the three hall sensors.

mlt34 said:
friendly1uk said:

bmsb said:

Perhaps you can wire in a jumper from the display's speed sensor wire to a single hall sensor. That's exactly how the cycle analyst works, it measures motor speed by tapping into one of the three hall sensors.

Keep in mind that you'll get no speed indication when you're off the power (when coasting, going downhill, etc).

Very true, I forgot about that. Got so used to direct drives on most of my bikes :p

Back