• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New Downhill bike build! Frame develpoment.

Secret1511

100 W
Hello,

Just wan´t your advise one a new project. I have seen the stealth fighter and the Phasor and they are to massive in my opinion.
I have designed a new frame that is thinner and lighter. Material i like to use is 24mm alumium. I used the geometry from mu Banshee Chaparral. (Classic freeride frame)
I think i can store 12 lipos 22,2v 5a. Total of 66,6v 20a. Hot of the charger 72v.
It will be a hub build so the Crystalyte 4080 is a nice hub. The controller will be a 18fet lyen modded 100a. :D

The swingarm needs some work. This is not a clone of a bomber. It's more like my vision on this kind of frames.

The project is just started and this is the first idee. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• foto 4.JPG
    foto 4.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 435
  • foto 2.JPG
    foto 2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 435
  • foto 1.JPG
    foto 1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 435
litespeed said:
Looks like a winner to me.

Tom

Thanks Tom.
This is only the start. Next week i am going to find a solution for the swingarm.
When i got all sorted out i will build a demo. I will putt it on some heavy tests.
When it is ok i will make it commercial and sell the frames

Looking good. Provided the frame will fit 1.5 kilowatt of battery it looks like it would be a winner. I think the Cromotors a better choice than the 4080. I have both on different bikes. Only my opinion though.

If you are going to use this for offroad riding predominately? and have the skills
to build such a frame, why go with a hub motor over a mid drive setup?
Hubs understandable if your riding road predominately as a 'commuter' but IMO mid drive
done right is better suited to hard off road riding... jm2cw

Best of luck... ***subscribed***

KiM

That's a very valid point.

You are kind of trying to fill a market niche that's well filled already by both the stealth and the greyborg.

dogman said:

You are kind of trying to fill a market niche that's well filled already by both the stealth and the greyborg.

Thanks for your reaction. I am not trying to make a business of this.
When the demo is perfect i am willing to build more on request.

I own a design studio and exhibition build company. My main costumers are car brands like audi and porsche.
I like to design things. The build of the frame will be done by another company. We are wood builders not metal.
I have not chosen for a mid drive because i will keep it simple.
I have a bike with a middrive and there are to much complications.
Electric has a liniare torq so a hub with enough watts will do the job.
Also i like to keep the build clean.
This is a idee, next week i will start to make the design compleet.

is the seat post in the right position compared to the pedals ? it looks a bit like the seat will end up too far back ?

I've been planning a frame build for a while, but other commitments keep getting in the way, I'd buy a frame.... but I can't find one which will hold enough batteries... I want 30ah+ at 72v so I can go on long fast rides, with lots of hard acceleration :)

Secret1511 said:
dogman said:

Thanks for your reaction. I am not trying to make a business of this.
When the demo is perfect i am willing to build more on request.

I own a design studio and exhibition build company. My main costumers are car brands like audi and porsche.
I like to design things. The build of the frame will be done by another company. We are wood builders not metal.
I have not chosen for a mid drive because i will keep it simple.
I have a bike with a middrive and there are to much complications.
Electric has a liniare torq so a hub with enough watts will do the job.
Also i like to keep the build clean.
This is a idee, next week i will start to make the design compleet.

Yes I am curious finally a nice frame nearby home to buy!
I don't like to pay 1000 euro for naked frame :shock:

knighty said:
is the seat post in the right position compared to the pedals ? it looks a bit like the seat will end up too far back ?

I've been planning a frame build for a while, but other commitments keep getting in the way, I'd buy a frame.... but I can't find one which will hold enough batteries... I want 30ah+ at 72v so I can go on long fast rides, with lots of hard acceleration :)

The geometry is the same as the banshee. So the seatpost will be fine.
This is a first design so everything will be checkt twice before the build.
30a is a lot. Thats 18x 6s. This frame is to small for that.

Rodney64 said:
Looking good. Provided the frame will fit 1.5 kilowatt of battery it looks like it would be a winner. I think the Cromotors a better choice than the 4080. I have both on different bikes. Only my opinion though.

Why do you prefer the cromotors? What is the dropout ?

I like the idea of a smaller lighter frame 15 Ah 18s sounds good, could be configured 20 Ah 12s or 10 Ah 24s

I have said it before, but if someone could build just the front section for a donor bike, ie older specialized big hit, which is probably the most common,cheap and world widely available decent DH bike, then all components and rear triangle could be switched over to the new front section. Saving alot of expense on building a proprietary frame up

Obviously the op isnt in a position to do this, but i think it would sell, solve rear suspension problems too, using the 4 bar linkage fsr system

Cheers

Deff

deffx said:
I like the idea of a smaller lighter frame 15 Ah 18s sounds good, could be configured 20 Ah 12s or 10 Ah 24s

I have said it before, but if someone could build just the front section for a donor bike, ie older specialized big hit, which is probably the most common,cheap and world widely available decent DH bike, then all components and rear triangle could be switched over to the new front section. Saving alot of expense on building a proprietary frame up

Obviously the op isnt in a position to do this, but i think it would sell, solve rear suspension problems too, using the 4 bar linkage fsr system

Cheers

Deff

Ok i will look in to it

Thx Secret,

Its a little bit of a different idea to what your doing, but i think a way to bring a cheaper option to people, than phasor and torque bikes and your frame, IE buy a $500 second hand specialized big hit, a $500-750? front section, transfer parts over and your up and running. Be able to return to a normal bike to sell and sell front section to an ebiker when the time comes.

Cheers

Deff

deffx said:
Thx Secret,

Its a little bit of a different idea to what your doing, but i think a way to bring a cheaper option to people, than phasor and torque bikes and your frame, IE buy a $500 second hand specialized big hit, a $500-750? front section, transfer parts over and your up and running. Be able to return to a normal bike to sell and sell front section to an ebiker when the time comes.

Cheers

Deff

Ok nice. Sound like a good idee. I first do this project and then i look in to it.
This is my first frame build so i am excited to see how this turns out.

Secret1511 said:
knighty said:

The geometry is the same as the banshee. So the seatpost will be fine.
This is a first design so everything will be checkt twice before the build.
30a is a lot. Thats 18x 6s. This frame is to small for that.

You where wright. The seat post is a couple degrees off.
This week i post new drawings. Thanks

the rear swing arm looks a little weak to me. maybe it's strong enough, but i like my stuff over-engineered. especially if i am riding it at high speeds

nieles said:
the rear swing arm looks a little weak to me. maybe it's strong enough, but i like my stuff over-engineered. especially if i am riding it at high speeds

Yess, the swingarm needs some attention. It will be bigger and stronger.
I haven't sorted that out yet

It doesn't has to be bigger and stronger it's just how you design it.
This one link system is very old school, just look to old school DH bikes.
Then you know what I mean.

I misunderstood, and thought you were making a business of this. So bikes that carry a battery well, and have a rear hubmotor are not hard to find anymore. An increasingly crowded market niche.

The niche I am thinking has a lot of room still, is a similar frame for the battery, but including a good space near the bottom bracket to add a non hub motor.

The similarity of greyborg and stealth is simply that they have good battery trays, full suspension and rear hubmotors.
Obviously one is a project, the other you just buy and ride.

No reason you can't do better than the frame designs of any of the currently available stuff, or worse, depending on your design skills. Go for it!!! Design something even better, lighter, or stronger, or with suspension improvements.

dogman said:
I misunderstood, and thought you were making a business of this. So bikes that carry a battery well, and have a rear hubmotor are not hard to find anymore. An increasingly crowded market niche.

The niche I am thinking has a lot of room still, is a similar frame for the battery, but including a good space near the bottom bracket to add a non hub motor.

The similarity of greyborg and stealth is simply that they have good battery trays, full suspension and rear hubmotors.
Obviously one is a project, the other you just buy and ride.

No reason you can't do better than the frame designs of any of the currently available stuff, or worse, depending on your design skills. Go for it!!! Design something even better, lighter, or stronger, or with suspension improvements.

Thanks dogman. Maybe the frame must have the option to intergrate a gng .
Problem is that the gng the width is to small.
This frame is 120mm. The gng is 80 a 90mm.
I will think this over.

This is a update of the frame.
It is designed for a hub, but i think that is also possible with a middrive.
Will be a Astro with a reduction. I have to redesign it a bit.
Material is alu 7005

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 430
Nice drawing.

If you built this with a hub, that is fine but it kind of looks like you have just gone out and copied a Stealth. Now if you used that design and went mid drive, especially high rpm Astro, then you will really have something special.

It would of course be a nice bike either way, just my 2 cents :D

Back