• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New E-bike - DIY Kit - Norway

Kiingkong

1 mW
Hi all,
Hopefully someone can give me a concret advices on what to buy. I currently have a e-bike I bought 2 months ago but it havent really been used alot.
It has a 250w (360wh)engine and does not provied enough power in hills which is a problem because off my back start acting up when I pedale to hard.

I do not have a bike yet, but will buy one. Most likeley a bike with 26" wheels. Planning on doing this on a budget. Total budget 1000$. Bike around 200-300$. It dont seems like alot but the Norwegian kroner have crashed latley so I cant really go over.
I want to use the bike back and forth to work. From home to work it is 14 km, about 8 miles. So the kit need to have a range of atleast 16 miles. Some dirt road and some car road.
On the way there a alot of hills. The bike need to provide me with power so I dont have to pedal to hard. On flat ground I really like pedal assist.
Speed isent really a big concern, but between 20-25 miles per hour is more than enough.
Im 184cm high and weigh 82kilos.

I have looked at alot of diffrent kits, but the kits from Bionx are to expensive, so im open for China producs. Maybe something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-bike-conversion-kit-Electric-bike-motor-kit-ebike-rear-drive-500W-1000W-hub-/252018409761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3aad77c121

What kind of Battery can you recommend to this package. I would prefer something that I could mount within the frame.

Hopefully someone can help me find something suiteble.

Welcome to the forum.

Your budget isn't going to work very well for that motor. While the motor is fine, It's £229 (USD $358) plus international shipping and import tax. With the battery strong enough to power it, plus the battery shipping, plus that Tax, plus a $200-300 bike, your budget would be well and totally broken.

We may be able to help you get your 250w bike to perform much better within your budget. Upgrading a bike is often cheaper than starting from scratch. Tell us more about the bike and where you ride. Specifically, we need to know about the battery you currently have, and the type of trails you ride.

unnamed.jpgHi, Thanks for comming back to me.

You are right, after reading alot it seems like a impossible task with that budget.

I could go as high as 1100$ just for the ekit, including a battery. I have looked at Bafang which seems good. 750w should be enough, maybe 500w will be suffiecient? Would be nice to ride between 20-25mph on flat road and go up the hills without burning to many calories:)

I only bike to work, sometimes to the shop, or take my dog to the forrest, small every day stuff. I live 15km from work. There are a few long hills I need to bike over, which my current bike do not help me with. On the way to work there are 60% asphalt and 40% through park terrain. The bike is OK on flat road, but it do not help over hills which is a problem. Might be simpler just to sell it and buy a new one.

This is my current ebike (google translate) https://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwhitebikes.no%2Fwhite2014%2Fvelocity%2Felectric-ty-7-gent%2F
I paid only 500$ for it. Is it possible to "buff" it up?

The battery you need to go 16 miles at 20 mph will be a bit of a problem. You need 700 watt hours, such as a 36v 20 ah. But you only need 10 ah, if you can charge at work.

Unless you sell your current bike, you could save some money on a new bike purchase and put a more powerful motor on that bike. But you'd still need a bigger battery too.

New battery, and stronger controller (with self learning) for his current motor? 500w?

But before you spend anything, you need to think hard about your back. You might need a very nice full suspension bike to make it usable for you. It might be the bike itself hurting your back, not the low power per se.

I can't say, back injuries vary from person to person. My bad discs required full suspension for a bumpy commute of 30 miles a day. But rides of less than 10 miles I could handle ok on any bike. It was the 15 miles per session I needed cush for.

Now I ride longtail bikes a lot, because they also lower the impact at the seat. No hopping up and down at the seat. But you may be different. Maybe you just need a better spring seat, or a spring seatpost to be ok.

Thanks for your input, it might be something to look into. I hurt my back doing crossfit a few years ago, the disc moved and something collapsed, now I have a degenerate something going on. But a full suspension might be worth a shot.

One of the reason I want to change out my bike is because the brakes are terrible. Almost dangerous to ride it now. The hills on the way to work are very steep, just by crusing down I can get up to 45-55 km/h. Would be nice to have safer brakes.
If anything could be done to my current bike I could look into it.

I can charge my battery at work.

I came across these two packs:
http://www.greenbikekit.com/48v-750w-bbs02-kit-panasonic-frame-ebike-battery.html Higher watt but lower Ah,
http://www.greenbikekit.com/36v-350w-bbs01-kit-with-36v-15ah-samsung-frame-battery.html Higher AH, lower watt.

When I ride my current bike with in sportmode and full PAS its usally around 25-30% left, but then I pedal alot myself and do all the work in hills. Which result in me not beeing able to move for a day. The current motor is 250w I belive. 8 miles one way to work.

I was hoping I could come up with a suggestion for improving your bike within your budget, but it would need too much work. The motor might be salvageable with a new controller and battery, but the bike would need new brakes and other work. at best, 50% more power would take up your budget.

So maybe sell that bike, use the money to improve your budget.

The two kits you linked are workable, sort of. the first is like what you need, but not from that source. The Bafang BBS02/750w has issues unless you get the new revision with a better controller, that currently is only available from EM3ev.com. EM3ev also offer a much higher quality battery. but they also want more money for it. I wouldn't trust the GBK batteries with a high powered motor.

The BBS01/350w motor is ok. It will give you around 40% more power, but with more torque available when you shift down. That sounds fine, but for just a little more money you could have 300% more power and torque with the BBS02, making this option seem pointless.

I got started in Ebikes after a cracked spine kept me from riding. Full suspension is nice if it's a quality suspension, but a cheap one is worse than nothing. Like riding a pogo stick, and I found I could hurt my back more while moving around on top of a bucking, bouncing bike. I've found long tail bikes like cargo bikes to be much better, along with large balloon tires. 2.5" tires on a long tail is a comfortable ride. 5" tires on a long arm full suspension is even nicer. :mrgreen:

Hei KK,

Just in case you're not aware, 250w and 25kph motor assist is the legal limit in Norge. So if you get a bigger motor, don't have an accident. ;)

If I were you I'd sell the crappy ebike, buy a cheap bike on sale in g-sport/intersport and fit a 750w BBS02. Get a thud buster seatpost to help with your back.

Oh, and you can also find a lot of good cheap bikes on Finn.

so i probably go with the bbs02 from em3ev. Now i just need to find a bike. Thanks for all your input.

So I just bought a new bike, 29" DBS Intruder T6 (norwegian brand) and a BBS02 750w with 48v and 11.6ah battery. Hopeing to start early next week.

The price ended on almost 2000$ instead of the original 1000$, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. Thanks for your input.

Back