NEW FR-DH E-Bike project >3Kw

Hello Folks...

I've finally decided to make some refines to my MP6 Onion/astro bike. This summer I will not build a new bike to flow around the Eurobike show, but the final version of this one.....
The plan is to close the trellis holes using carbon Fiber (obviously leaving all the trellis to be seen, to shortening wiring I've never shortened, to make a transparent termoplastic (PET) enclosure for the drive and move the batteries from the toptube under the "downtube" trellis.

Another thing is that I'm testing the App Ebike Analyzer for Android http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59893 that's reaaly amazing and allows to log the Cycle Analyst data streming output into a file, integrating with GPS tracks via Bluetooth.

First of all, let me say a big THANKS to Mark that developed this app in a very professional way.

That's the hardware-software list of what I used to get a decent wiring installation:

- A Galaxy S4Zoom SM-C105, this is a small screen device but any device with Android supporting Bluetooth (and OTG in my case) would work, plus this device, having a true 10x zoom, a 16MP cmos, a stabilizer and an 1/4" standard thread mount, is also good to take some decent vid and shot and stay firmly screwed into the handlebar with a true alloy bracket...
- A Cycle Analyst (any version with at least the serial output data stream seems to work fine, I have tested a V3 and a V2.24 B6 LRC)
- A bluesmirf silver bluetooth module, from Sparkfun)
- A TRS (or TRRS) miniJack Audio cable ending with soldering wires or jumpers http://www.robot-italy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/d43192dcd82ea942982b4b1d2a6e2479/1/1/11580-01.jpeg
- A TTL USB cable ending with labeled jumpers http://www.robot-italy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/d43192dcd82ea942982b4b1d2a6e2479/1/2/12977-00.jpg
- An OTG micro USB cable http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AjFXXhBDL._SL1000_.jpg (to program the BT module)
- some jumper wires, soldering iron and consumables
- Plastic Box and DCDC from Matt's (Recumpence) RCthrottle interface http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12196
- plugs to connect the DCDC to the main e-bike Pack

Software:

- ANdroid 4.4.2
- The Ebike Analyzer App for Android from Mark (read his description to get it in the first post of his thread)
- The FTDI UART Terminal v1.0 APP for Android (free from PlayStore) used to program the BT module and mostly to change the default Baud Rate to the 9600 required to get the CA data stream, instead of using a PC or Arduino.

So I've firstly connected the USB TTL pigtail cable to the BT module providing to it even the 5v. the Cable I have has marked wires. Than, with the OTG cable and using the FTDI UART app, I've changed the Baud Rate as per SparkFun's well made guides. (https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/using-the-bluesmirf)
Than wired the DCDC output to the BT module mating CAgnd, BTgnd and DC- and connecting VCC to DC+, plus crossing Tx and Rx of CA and BT module using the AudioTRS pigtail cable.
I have ENclosed everything inside the Ex-RCinterface box from Matt that results very clean: only 2 thin DCDC imput wires and the CA serial TRS cable.
file.php

This App allows the Phone to be kept in your pockets or backpack for datalog and GPS ability using the CA main screen as usual, or otherwise, allowing you to keep The CA and cabling enclosed and not visible in a Box (my thoughts are for Trikes or LEVs and static uses) and to monitor everything from an Android device on the handlebar.

Hope that's useful for someone.....thanks again MArk

Hey guys, Just a small update to report that my bike is still on the road and has 6000 kilometers on the CA, still with the same big rear sprocket, the same ENO and with the same chain the last 2000km or so. Actually I use the bike less aggressively than the first days, so that should be the major reason for the long chain lasting compared to the earlier chains I've used, but, even the use o a single tensioner instead of 2, with a stronger spring and thus resulting in a more stable chain line should be involved.
About the app:
That's how it looks like, the standard 1/4 mount that this smartphone has, is perfect for handlebar installations.
It allows even to use gopro accessories with an adapter.

Using the smartphone camera to record a movie while using the App, and combining it with the data log to create an overlayed movie is than a simple thing, even for a total noob like me about video editing, since both use the same clock.
Check this out....[youtube]3qFPL2qPlD4[/youtube]

hey Panurge,

cool video, love the on screen display. With the Photo of the Phone on the handle bars what is all the data that shows up? i can see Amps, volts and watts but cant make out the rest. i love the look of the analogue style gauges on the screen. do you know if this app will be available on Apple?

It's awesome work.
You might want to consider a hub for your first build if electrics a complex at this stage.
Welcome to the sphere.

danos_01 said:
hey Panurge,

cool video, love the on screen display. With the Photo of the Phone on the handle bars what is all the data that shows up? i can see Amps, volts and watts but cant make out the rest. i love the look of the analogue style gauges on the screen. do you know if this app will be available on Apple?

The app is available from member sigmacom just look my previous post at the top of this page for directions, but is not available for iOs.
You need to start the app and the datalog first, so noway to visualize the gauges while recording, actually.
Having the Application that directly start the movie synchronized with the georeferenced datalog would be nice, and would let us to visualize the App's gauges while recording.

sn0wchyld said:
Great vid mate, love the HUD.
thanks mate, I would love to make something really serious sometimes....

Samd said:
It's awesome work.
You might want to consider a hub for your first build if electrics a complex at this stage.
Welcome to the sphere.
uh...mh...perhaps a misspost here?

Hello Folks

Here Just to report that the bike has been extensively used the last year and has today more than 10000Km still with the same CA-LRC, the same ICE HV160 the same chainring the same ENO the same belt&pulleys and the same whippermann chain from the last 5000km or so 8) but the Lipo Pack (10Ah of Zippy Flightmax dated 2011) is now a bit unstable (approx 400 cycles) and gives only 6.5 Ah. So I've got new Lipos before to eventually get fire and flames from them. The new pack is made out of Turnigy pseudo-graphene cells 16Ah, still at 12s. I'm actually testing them (5 cycles) but the first impressions are very positive.

View attachment 27-12-2016 14-02-08-086.kml.zip This is a CA .KML datalog of a 1 Km ascent with approx 100m of altitude gain.
you can open it with Google-earth, select the elevation profile and visualize all the electric data over any point of the track.
It has been made with the Sigmacom APP.
Perhaps someone will be interested on that.
Frankly, when I started to ride this bike had not the hope to get these long term results by far!
If someone still have any need to confirm it, the Recumpence DaVinci Drive with the 3220 is a superstable and great performance system!

Back