New GNG Mid Drive Brushless 60V650W

donny67ss said:
Hi guys my 60V GNG has been giving me some issues that I need help with. The motor only wants to run when I spin the motor shaft then it runs fine. As soon as I let it stop spinning then I get no response from the motor, then spin the motor shaft and it wants to run again. Can you please point me in the right direction. I had the motor apart but I'm not sure what i'm looking for. I went through all the wiring a few days ago and got rid of all the hanky connectors as I thought it was a short that I had with the phase wires but i'm still having this issue. I'm running the stock controller with 18s lipo, thank you for the help. Donny H.\

That sounds exactly like a motor running sensorless. Without HAL sensors, the motor needs to spin up a bit before power can kick in. And from the sound of it, it looks like none of your sensors are working. If you had even 1 working, the motor would be behaving differently. And if all of them are not working, i would suspect the controller.

The easiest next step to trouble shoot your setup would be to test your motor with another controller.

Wishes

Thank you Wishes I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately I don't have an extra controller to test the motor with (I really wish I did so I can figure this out :) ) It sounds like exactly what you said, the motor runs perfect as long as I give the motor shaft a small spin then it runs fine. This all started after I had a short in the sensor wires on my way home from work on Friday (a few weeks back I went through all the wiring and eliminated all the connectors). Thank you for help and any further assistants would be awesome. Donny H.

donny67ss said:
Thank you Wishes I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately I don't have an extra controller to test the motor with (I really wish I did so I can figure this out :) ) It sounds like exactly what you said, the motor runs perfect as long as I give the motor shaft a small spin then it runs fine. This all started after I had a short in the sensor wires on my way home from work on Friday (a few weeks back I went through all the wiring and eliminated all the connectors). Thank you for help and any further assistants would be awesome. Donny H.

If you had a short on the sensor wires, then that is definitely your problem. I would look for a replacement controller. They are not too pricey, you can probably get away with one for around $50. Many people run sensor less motors, on hub motors. Where you can pedal a bit before hitting the power. With a mid drive, and all the freewheels, running it sensor less is not very handy.

Wishes

Thank you Wishes, now the next step convincing the fiancee to let me spend more money! That's always fun.
I have an extra lipo and was considering to run it at 24S when I had more money for the upgrade, maybe its time for more POWER + new 100V Lyen controller :) I was planning on BMX half link upgrade in the near future so this will all work out good together ( I hope ) Thank you again Wishes. - Donny H.

so it fits onto the BB directly??
sweet
-whats the weight ??
I've managed 1343grams, thats including a hefty pedal
10153791_10152349689622136_3237200700374083801_n.jpg

my new crankset on the right, is using the Token dual bearing freewheel see on my build thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29163&p=961870#p961870

Yes, it fits onto BB directly. It only helps to use additional bearing (fix crankset to right BB side twice) , to transport motor/rider torque without pushing on freewheel .
It is made from aluminum, it is light. Crankset weight is around 1000g, w/o pedal only arm, sprockets, freewheel and that component.
Your new crankset looks professional.

Hi guys
Have any of you removed the secondary 13T stock gng sprocket?
Was it fairly easy?

Also guys...is there a chain and sprockets that are similar to the 219 chain??
At the moment Im using a regular bike chain between the stock gng secondary sprocket and the large crank wheel.

Im looking for a chain and sprockets that are quieter. I upgraded from the gng 8mm to 25 chain on the primary side and the noise dropped a lot so Im satified on that side

The thing with the 219 chain is you need to buy a chainbreaker and the chains arent so cheap or easy to buy where Im located

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi,
I was able easily remove 12t secondary sprocket from jackshaft. Just catch sprocket from opposite, where are two slots and second catch on jackshaft.
You can change secondary chain for 1/2"x1/8" BMX (half link), that what I red, people do.

IMG_20141023_110729.jpg
IMG_20141023_110831.jpg
IMG_20141023_110932.jpg

Did you try to add secondary inner wheel to stock crankset, like 22 tooth sprocket?
I guess, I need to use longer screws on inner side of crankset and between current one (38 tooth) and new one (22 tooth), use some 3-4mm washers.
But not sure about durability of that aluminum component on which are sprockets mounted.

dusan said:
ebike11 said:
dusan said:
Hi,
I was able easily remove 12t secondary sprocket from jackshaft. Just catch sprocket from opposite, where are two slots and second catch on jackshaft.
You can change secondary chain for 1/2"x1/8" BMX (half link), that what I red, people do.

View attachment 3
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

What do you mean by catch the sprocket?
There is opposite twist

oh you used that tool??

many people said to use a puller.

you turned the sprocket with that tool "counter clockwise" ???

I didn't use kit yet, so it wasn't probably hardly screwed. Yep, if you have puller you can use it.
I unscrewed it like I would screw it down.

dusan said:
I didn't use kit yet, so it wasn't probably hardly screwed. Yep, if you have puller you can use it.

That sprocket is screwed on OR do you pull it off???

ebike11 said:
dusan said:

Screwed on, do you see thread on my pictures?

dusan said:
ebike11 said:
dusan said:

Screwed on, do you see thread on my pictures?

I thought it pulls off the shaft with a key??? Many have said to use a 3 or 4 arm puller

There could be different versions. I removed freewheel that way. There is probably some adapter on shaft but I was not able to unmount it. This is how it looks like after freewheel removal.
IMG_20141024_083214.jpg

dusan said:
There could be different versions. I removed freewheel that way. There is probably some adapter on shaft but I was not able to unmount it. This is how it looks like after freewheel removal.

Is your motor a primary belt drive or primary chain drive on the left side??

ebike11 said:
dusan said:

Chain

dusan said:
ebike11 said:
dusan said:

Chain

So what sprocket type and teeth and sprocket adapter are you using now??
And are you using 1/2 x 1/8 chain??

I'm currently have only stock, 12t freewheel and 44t chainring. I ordered #25 - (11/68) for primary side.
I am going to upgrade secondary side as well with new freewheel, probably https://www.danscomp.com/products/461002/ACS_Crossfire_Freewheel.html
Or pro version.
I am thinking about ISIS, as I am hard biker :)
And probably based on user suggestions, I will go for BMX chain.
Another thing is, I need to add another chainring - 22t, to be fully satisfied. These 22t chainrings are 64BCD, so there wouldn't be problem. I actually need to find proper screws to mount additional chainring on current 38t, with proper washers, for sure. Hope, it will be easy as I write it :)
I'm going to run it on 10s Lipo as I want to keep full throttle motor around 80rpm, to follow my cadence. So durability of BB and crank are crucial for me.
But there is another option, myzter is running secondary reduction on #25. It is, for sure, more silent and you can increase reduction size. But I think, I am not supported with any special tools. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29163&p=961870#p961870

Back