New non exploding batteries soon

bionicdan

1 kW
Finally I might feel safe with a big phone in my pocket as I pedal in jeans lol

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/thin-film-technology-to-eliminate-risk-of-lithium-battery-fire/

In a paper in Nature Materials, the team explains that the ultrathin film reduced the impedance at the electrode-garnet interface from 1710 ohm/cm2 to only one ohm/cm2, while not stopping the flow of lithium ions. Moreover, because the garnet is so stable, the team could use electrodes made of metallic lithium at the cell anode – giving the highest possible theoretical energy density. The cell used high-capacity sulphur cathodes. The result is a battery that is easy to charge, discharges readily, is not flammable and retains low-cost; this trifecta of performance, safety and price will make them attractive to the market, Hu claims.

ecotech said:
Solid electrolytes have low ionic conductivity at room temperature.

They say they reduced the impedence to 1 ohm. Isnt that similar to lipo? Maybe conductivity and resistance arnt related. I dont know all the terms.

Hillhater said:
.."SOON"....is not a definitive unit of time either ! :roll:

It won an award, it isnt expensive or hard to make and it increases capacity. Im pretty sure this is happening as theres nothing holding it back like most break throughs that use a special rock from the moon or something lol.

http://www.mse.umd.edu/news/news_story.php?id=8190

I never believe battery breakthroughs until they are REALLY avaliable and i can buy them at decent price. :roll:
There are too many these "we invented dream battery" news.

DVDRW said:
I never believe battery breakthroughs until they are REALLY avaliable and i can buy them at decent price. :roll:
There are too many these "we invented dream battery" news.

I doubt we will be able to buy them soon but as long as a company picks it up id be happy. Imagine the first phone that can say it will never need a new battery, will run longer and is 100 percent safer.

To me this is like lifepo4 again. Fingers crossed anyway.

I would say, of the fantasy battery tech claims, this one is certainly interesting to read and maybe theoretically someday possible to be useful, but I would put it towards the bottom of a long list of long-shots.

bionicdan said:
ecotech said:

They say they reduced the impedence to 1 ohm. Isnt that similar to lipo? Maybe conductivity and resistance arnt related. I dont know all the terms.

They are deffinatly related conductivity is measured in resistance over an area of a conductor.
It seems they have placed a coating in the cell to aid conductivity how well this holds up over time will be the factor to performance and longevity will the IR rise with time acceptably or not but it seems an interesting break through for capacity and safeness of the cell and there very little price increase.

Ianhill said:
bionicdan said:
ecotech said:

They are deffinatly related conductivity is measured in resistance over an area of a conductor.
It seems they have placed a coating in the cell to aid conductivity how well this holds up over time will be the factor to performance and longevity will the IR rise with time acceptably or not but it seems an interesting break through for capacity and safeness of the cell and there very little price increase.

It mentions po4 and charging without inducing dendrites. So zero or very low degradation? All sounds good though.

It would be nice to have a battery that's vastly outshines the current crop but I don't think it will be released to us like that drips and drabs dangle the carrot in front of the donkey.

What it's not mentioning, is that garnet being amazingly hard is great for stopping those dendrites by smashing them down. On every charge cycle the, anode mechanically swells as the cathode's metal oxide structures shrink. If you over-constrain this mechanical growth/contraction, it fractures the materials from holding an electrical connection to the current collectors, and you effectively lose use of that active material as a result.

If you have a very rigid layer somewhere against delicate things that swell and contract, it means mechanical fracturing.

liveforphysics said:
What it's not mentioning, is that garnet being amazingly hard is great for stopping those dendrites by smashing them down. On every charge cycle the, anode mechanically swells as the cathode's metal oxide structures shrink. If you over-constrain this mechanical growth/contraction, it fractures the materials from holding an electrical connection to the current collectors, and you effectively lose use of that active material as a result.

If you have a very rigid layer somewhere against delicate things that swell and contract, it means mechanical fracturing.

Ok someone should tell them lol Im not.

It did mention that "they changed the composition of the garnet to a dense polycrystalline solid with tight grain boundaries; and second, the aluminium oxide film prevents formation of whiskery substances known as dendrites on the surface of the anode during charging"?

All my family have had a mobile phone puff up as we have very old overloaded wires in my village. They still leave things on over night. I will sleep better when this stuff becomes reality

It's fine to leave phones/laptops charging over night, and there is nothing related to the condition of your house or city wiring that can effect that. Your phone charger could care less if it gets AC or DC input over a range like 90v to 350v.

Things puff because they spend too much time at high temps for the amount of gas producing latent defects in the cell.

Perhaps get solar, a battery and inverter if your grid is that damaging to things. Really though quality electronics shouldn't care much at all about the quality of the power feeding it, even massive amounts of noise and large spikes are easy enough to design a PFC front end that takes about anything you can throw at it short of lightning bolts.

bionicdan said:
liveforphysics said:
Perhaps get solar, a battery and inverter if your grid is that damaging to things. Really though quality electronics shouldn't care much at all about the quality of the power feeding it, even massive amounts of noise and large spikes are easy enough to design a PFC front end that takes about anything you can throw at it short of lightning bolts.

You know its sounds odd but I got really ill up there and sensitive to electronic devices so I moved away. Im much better now, the headaches have stopped and my vision cleared but if I go back for more than a day it starts again, like pressure in my brain. Might be an allergy or something maybe Il try a tin foil hat. When I had lower voltage ebikes I did use solar and hobby chargers but its too much of a pain at 84v. Hopefully my new house will be ok.

The other day 26 car alarms went off at the same time and no one could get in the cars with the key fob. Hawkinge UK if you ever want to avoid it :)

I'm quite surprised that your having these issues with the national grid :), My valley house is still on a TT system with well over 200ohms at the earthrod when wet and its non existant in the summer with dry ground,
The council changed the pavement from slabs to bricks and decided to remove two foot of earth and replace with chippings and sand, down the whole street as a result we all have a exceptionally bad earth values meaning the potential voltage on an appliance would climb higher but less current flows before the RCD spots an imbalance in the phase wires and disconnects but its still relatively safe just a bit more of a tingle felt I think. Some people are very magnetic sensitive I'd look more at high voltage overhead pillons and mobile masts as a cause of headaches, You would need heavy RF interference to block 23 car alarms from operating, There's been gangs targeting cars at services stations I wonder if someone was testing a device out to see if it works ?:/ check your car flashes when you lock it .

Back