Nine Continent 2806 Commuter Build

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading up for a few months, deciding how I would like to build my electric bike. I like the idea of commuting by bike to work and school, however, the distances and time constraints are a bit much so I decided to go electric. I tried to go for a stealth look for both anti-theft and to not be bothered by the cops. I am more than happy with my setup I have a 48v 20ah ping battery concealed in my Topeak MTX rear bag. It actually handles quite well for all of the weight in back of there. I welded up a metal bracket with padding on the sides and bolted it to the bottom plate of the bag that way the battery's weight is directly centered over the back tire.

Picture 002.jpg
View attachment 7

As you can see the 35a Infineon controller is bolted onto my Topeak super tourist rack. When I park my bike I am able to simply able to disconnect the battery from the controller, and bring the battery with me to charge wherever I am going or to just have with me so it won't get stolen, (since it is the single most expensive component on the bike). In the bag I also keep my cycle lumenator along with my rear led light which easily bolts on my bike if I have to ride in the night.

Picture 003.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg

In the bag I'm also able to store all my rain gear in case I'm caught in a sudden shower, and a spare tube with co2 inflator just in case I get a flat tire. I actually had to modify the bag and cut out slots for the battery to expand into the two side compartments since the main one wasn't quite big enough, but it worked out well.

The bikes performance is better than I expected, I set the cycle analyist to a 30a limit for the ping. I have driven a distance of 39 miles while doing my range test. The BMS wasen't even cutting out at that point, but the bike was rather sluggish because the battery wen't over the voltage cliff so I just decided that was plenty of range for me, and went to go charge it. I would estimate the actual range to be in the low 40s. I'm always pedaling the bike for both exercise, stealth and maybe even a little better performance. The bike has a max speed of 33mph on the flats, however, I've gone as fast as 38 mph hot off the charger down a hill in my neighborhood. Normally keep the speed at or below 30mph when commuting.

However, I could use some advice, mainly on security. I like my bike and want to make sure I keep it. Right now I lock up my bike with a Kryptonyte New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock through the back wheel using the Sheldon Brown method. I also lock my front wheel and bottom half of my fork using an Onguard Bulldog u-lock. I take my rack bag with me. I'm not to concerned about someone stealing the bike as a whole because that Kryptonyte lock is really a beast, cant imagine someone breaking it without a power grinder or oxyacetylene torch, and how many bike thieves carry these things around? Very few. However, I am concerned with thieves stealing parts. I have already replaced my seat quick release with a bolt and replaced the thumb screw on my CA with a regular screw to "raise the bar" so to say. I was thinking of replacing my rack mount screws with security Torex screws, as well as maybe welding the bolts holding my controller so that it's permanently attached to my rack, at least someone would have to cut the screws in that tight place to steal it. Maybe even build a metal housing for my CA and weld it to my handle bars? Am I over reacting or are my thoughts justified? I ride to Lowell daily, not exactly the nicest town around.

Anyone had parts stolen off of their E-bikes?

Come on now, someone must have something to say about my bike. It does't have to be in response to my question. It could just be welcoming me to the community.

Welcome,

If you take off anything that isn't bolted on (like the battery) thieves aren't looking to steal parts off your bike (unless you leave it overnight). They are looking to steal the whole thing, and depending on the place and the lock, they can do it surprisingly quickly. I have a similar setup to you, and I'm lucky enough to have a secure lockup, but otherwise I treat it much like I've treated any other nice bike I've ever had, meaning only locking it up in high traffic areas, and then only for short periods.

mr.electric said:
No comments because your pictures do not show.
You don't have to rub it in as a lot of the pictures were lost a while back when ES converted to a new server. :cry: :cry: :cry:
There used to be a lot more cool pics. to search for, but now they are gone.

Welcome to the forum, I think you may be a long time lurker as you "got it right the first time"with your excellent bike.

I would like to see your work, but the pics are not available. Can you edit your posts and resubmit the pics?

I live in Mass also, I have had my ebike stolen, but never the parts. Of course I take my battery inside with me too.
And now I use two locks every time , and never a cable lock.

Thanks for finally telling me guys. :D I had uploaded my pics to postimage.org and I could see them fine. I re uploaded all the pics to endless-sphere and changed the links. Hopefully you guys should finally be able to see my bike now.

Your bike is very similar to my first ebike. I wouldnt worry to much about the parts getting stolen, I live in Indy and never had a problem and I had quick release lights on it, I was nervous about it though, like you I always carried my battery bag inside, bit of a chore but worth the peace of mind. Just dont leave it overnight anywhere :mrgreen: Welcome to the sphere :wink:

nice looking bike and thanks for the info about pics.

I am a new member and ws wondering wtf 1/2 the pics I tried to look at most the time failed to load
and the other 1/2 seemed like they barely survived a file system check.

I am lucky myself I lock my bike up in a fenced enclosure at work with powersupply right there.

Good info on the locks tho so when I do go to a store.

Back