Noise Level: Bafang BBS02 vs "Ultra"?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
i.e. Nylon vs Steel gears.

In pursuit of minimal noise in a mid-drive, I have been telling myself to live with BBS02's square cranks, cadence-only sensing, and nylon gears.

But how valid is my assumption that the Ultra's steel gears will be significantly louder than the BBS02's nylon gears?

Awfully subjective, I know; but can anybody who has run both comment?

Why not look at some premium grade lubrication to put into your motor gears rather then using the stock lube.
Mobil 28 aviation grease has been talked about
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=mobil

PeteCress said:
i.e. Nylon vs Steel gears.

In pursuit of minimal noise in a mid-drive, I have been telling myself to live with BBS02's square cranks, cadence-only sensing, and nylon gears.

But how valid is my assumption that the Ultra's steel gears will be significantly louder than the BBS02's nylon gears?

Awfully subjective, I know; but can anybody who has run both comment?

I like my bikes just about silent. That's impossible with an Ultra equipped bike, I don't care what anyone tells you - with one exception. The very early Ultra's came with a plastic gear. Those are the only ones that are quiet. On an Ultra, steel gears = noise, period!

How loud is subjective too. I generally describe the noise as a low growl that gets louder as the load on it increases. Nothing too objectionable, if you are in the presence of road traffic for instance, that will be louder. People standing 20' away are not going to turn and stare at you either. Where I notice it most is where I enjoy riding most - a nice quiet trail.

Again, nothing terrible. If the original plastic gear were to become available at anything close to a reasonable price, I would be a buyer for sure. The motor is definitely worth messing with. If I said it was an absolute torque monster that would be an understatement. It is NOT picky about what gear it's in. Accelerating from a stop for instance, done in a reasonable manner, is done easily while in 4th or 5th gear, without stressing anything, while pulling just 2-300 watts.

Bottom line, noise or no, the Ultra is a pretty awesome motor....

When I rode an Ultra equipped mountain bike having big travel and off a curb plush suspension, I did not notice any noise from the Ultra. But, my hearing is terrible and I was being amazed by the integration of torque sensor and throttle performance.

If there was a crank forward, full suspension, Ultra drive bike ... I'd be selling stuff to get it.

A few people notice my MAC geared hub noise, and a few noticed the occasional cogging noise from by direct drive hub. Not many, just a small percentage of those I pass.

I have a BBSHD and a G-510 Ultra. The Ultra is quite a bit louder, but not terrible. Mine seems to make more noise from the freewheel clutches than the actual gears. When under power it's not bad, but when the motor speed drops enough for the clutch to disengage, that makes a funky noise.

I also have tried both plastic and metal gears in the Ultra. The metal gear was only slightly louder.

The torque sensing is wonderful compared to the BBSHD PAS.

Back