• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Non-hub motor, begginers-cheap 250/350W project

kernel

1 µW
1st, hope to be posting it on the right forum. And sorry if my English is not perfect

Hi all

It's been a while since I started to think about developing a home-made ebike.

My decisions are:
- Around 250/350W motor. I know its not powerful but I just want some assist.
- Motor mounted there (somewhere in this bar):

m8mlxk.jpg

- Lipo Battery around 5 Ah
- Servo tester as power controller

My biggest problem on this project is about which motor to use.
Initially I decided to go for a RC electric motor, but the rpm output is incompatible if I want it to use directly on the chain. I tried to look to some gear reduction kits, but non of them convinced me...

Casually I found this geared-motor:

MY1016Z2-250W-24V-36V-with-font-b-Motor-b-font-Controller-and-Twist-Throttle-DIY-font.jpg

maxim output is around 300 rpm, and 250W, which seems fine. Any of you used this :?:

Any other alternatives? Is RC motor+gear kit an option? :idea:

BTW, one problem I see is that pedals will be inevitably turning, right?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks

goa604 said:
I think your idea has a big problem- How would you change gears if you would have a motor where you imagined? It would derail as soon as you switched gears in my opinion.
Maybe you could do something like this, https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22187

The idea is not to change gear once installed. I dont need that.

The one you posted, I don't like it because if I go into a muddy track, well... poor motor. I don't like friction-systems.

SlowCo said:

I already said I dont want hub motors.

I was looking for somethink like this:

HTB16EtEJFXXXXbIXVXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg

The one you posted, I don't like it because if I go into a muddy track, well... poor motor. I don't like friction-systems.
Yeah i dont know how you plan to ride off road without using gears at all, and yes friction drive wouldnt work well in mud.

Yeah and he linked you a mid drive option as well in that link. Look more carefully.

BTW these guys http://www.cyclone-tw.com/index.html have freewheel bottom brackets so if you go with your plan your pedals wouldnt spin with the motor.
They also have 200-3000w kits that maybe wouldnt be much more expensive than your plan.

goa604 said:
Yeah and he linked you a mid drive option as well in that link. Look more carefully.

Some people post questions but don't seem to want answers. And if they do want answers it's only confirmation of what they think is what they need.

So kernel, I think you are on the right track... :wink:

goa604 said:
Yeah i dont know how you plan to ride off road without using gears at all, and yes friction drive wouldnt work well in mud.

BTW these guys http://www.cyclone-tw.com/index.html have freewheel bottom brackets so if you go with your plan your pedals wouldnt spin with the motor.
They also have 200-3000w kits that maybe wouldnt be much more expensive than your plan.

That cyclone system looks fine. Its similar to what I was looking for. Will take a look.

SlowCo said:
goa604 said:

Some people post questions but don't seem to want answers. And if they do want answers it's only confirmation of what they think is what they need.

So kernel, I think you are on the right track... :wink:

In fact, thats correct. My project have some facts that I don't want to change. And, before make it real, I was asking if there would be some issue with the system I planned. I'm pleased to make improvements on that based on comments in the forum, for example with people that used the same system. Thats why I was asking.

MY1016z3 24V 350w ... looks to be "the" budget build.
Combined with a spoke mount sprocket (Motor & Sprocket & Controller = <$100)
or integrated as a crank drive (fits between many cranks)
Looks to be "the" budget build!

Plenty of gear and voltage options!

I have that same exact kit on my son's eBike and it works well. I upped the voltage to 48V and its fairly decent. It will require modification to the BB support plate b/c the motor won't line up with the crank... other than that, it works well. My son has about 200 miles on it riding during the weekends and to some places around. Don't expect high performance, and I've heard that other members here have had a lot of trouble with that kit (Lantice13 for example)

Personally, before tanking 200 dollars on that I would step up t the Cyclone 3000W and then use throttle restrain (as in, don't give it too much gas, I know, hard, but doable)... for the price you can't touch the Cyclone 3000W kit in performance and ease of installation.

G.

Back