• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Not an ebike...but look at this tall frame craziness!

Voltron

1 MW
A guy who was on the Cavaliers back when they were in Cleveland came in for a tuneup...with his from the factory 32 inch Cannondale! I felt like a kid riding an adult bike on the test ride...lol. The seat was right at chest level on me..

Attachments

• KIMG0485.jpg
    KIMG0485.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,416
There's a guy who doesn't buy a brand new bike with each new passing fad...
That geometry looks bizarre, but I can see how it would be needed to accommodate someone of his height. He'll probably have that bike until the day he dies.

He prob will have that one till the end....but now he's ready to go electric. So we're creating a modified cargo bike for him along with a local frame builder.

Ummmmmm..........as far as I know the Cavaliers are still in Cleveland. Well, except when they are in SF playing the Warriors for the World Championship. That is the kind of bike a person over 6'8" would ride. Very kool. Sometimes we forget how tall these pro ballers really are.
otherDoc

That's kinda what I need actually, 6'7", 36" inseam. Nothing fits me...ever. Going electric has enable me to pedal less and lower my seat...but I still have a tendency to peddle which has granted me the gift of shin splints in my left shin since I started riding again. Feels like a tiny gnome with an ice pick is stabbing me periodically at random times in my shin. Nice.

#Beingtalliswonderful

striider said:
That's kinda what I need actually, 6'7", 36" inseam. Nothing fits me...ever. Going electric has enable me to pedal less and lower my seat...but I still have a tendency to peddle which has granted me the gift of shin splints in my left shin since I started riding again. Feels like a tiny gnome with an ice pick is stabbing me periodically at random times in my shin. Nice.

#Beingtalliswonderful

Strider, you should DIY a cranks forward semi-recumbent. You'll still have good visibility, and you can put the BB where you can comfortably pedal. Make the seat adjustable for fine tuning.

ax57ax57 said:
That geometry looks bizarre, but I can see how it would be needed to accommodate someone of his height. He'll probably have that bike until the day he dies.
Geometry requirements wouldn't need such an akward design to meet. Let's say that Cannondale didn't make a big effort with this custom bike, only stretching an existing design to client's heigth.

This bike is very far from being properly designed and built to the rider's dimensions. I would not be proud of it if my company was named Cannondale.

MadRhino said:
ax57ax57 said:
Geometry requirements wouldn't need such an akward design to meet. Let's say that Cannondale didn't make a big effort with this custom bike, only stretching an existing design to client's heigth.

This bike is very far from being properly designed and built to the rider's dimensions. I would not be proud of it if my company was named Cannondale.

It looks to me like it would be a stronger frame to let the top tube continue up to the seat. Making a joint mid-tube like that is weak.

Yep, and most of all the reach is too short for this guy. Short chainstay and effective reach, are putting his large feet heel in the derailer, and toe in the front wheel turning radius.

MadRhino said:
ax57ax57 said:

That was my thought. Simply stretch every dimension of their largest frame, slap 29ers on it. Stretching it only vertically seems like he has too short a wheelbase for his high CG, not to mention it just doesn't look good.

Absolutely agree: Simply scale up the whole bike. 29ers might still look a bit small, like 24" on a normal adult bike, but if that's all there is...

Let's just remember it was built a while ago...so no hydro forming yet to make a low standover top tube, no 29er wheels yet to slap on there, and to make it actually able to ride on single track, you can only go but so long on the wheelbase. And most of his height is in his legs, so only needs a medium forward reach. But all of those points are why we're building him a formerly 26" front/ 20" rear cargo bike upsized to 29"/26", and stretched every direction.

Thats Brad or Matt Daugherty (sp) who was a national champion at North Carolina. He was 7'.

striider said:

#Beingtalliswonderful
I used to get shin splints in my right leg from playing Frisbee and especially Frisbee Golf of all things. Hurted like crazy and nothing helped except not participating for a while. Had chronic "Frisbee finger" also, not as bad as KFF but still put me out of the action a few times. :(

striider said:
That's kinda what I need actually, 6'7", 36" inseam. Nothing fits me...ever.

I'm 6'8" with a 40 inch standing inseam. I have more good fitting bikes than I can ride. You can have what you want; you just have to commit.

For the love of God, don't bother with recumbent or semi-recumbent anything. Those abominations barely work for normal sized people and flatly do not work for me at all.

There are a few 68cm frame bikes out there, just not very many made recently.

That basketball player's bike is much taller in the seat tube than necessary, even for such a tall guy. If you have less than a fistful of seatpost showing, you're doing it wrong.

Uhmmm...that guy IS white....with a tan.

And re. seatpost height, that was built before the era of the bigger diameter ones of today that can handle the loads of sticking out, and Cannondales use very very thin wall tubing.... two fists might be too much with the loads of him bouncing down a trail..That bike is stunningly light despite the huge size btw.
And are we talking my fists or his? :)

Back