Nothing To see here .. Insomnia Post (Watts up with Watts!?)

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
It would seem to me that many motors out there define their power in a very skewed way, i.e. the 78% efficient DD hub motor for "cheap" (mainly if you need a cheap heater that is :p ) is typically advertised as "1000w" with no real quantifiable specifics, i.e. controller, battery and efficient use of that motor (hub motors used in the wheel are great as a simple cost effective build, crude and inefficient for many builds, yet highly effective for the right application) matter more.

And then you have the other end of the spectrum, (talking commercially available to the average user excluding highly custom "one off" "godly" e-bikes) where you have motors intended mainly for EU regulations, where the motor is "rated" for 250 - 350w, yet PEAKS closer to the "1000w" of our Ebay special. :wink:

Until I had the opportunity to use a few very efficient motor, (RC driven friction drive being my first truly efficient set-up) I had NOT IDEA what I was missing.

I am also intrigued by the use of "direct drive" mid-drive motors, i.e. ones that work much like a DD hub, but in a smaller package and used as mid-drive typically with a purpose built frame.

Maybe there is a listing somewhere that shows the "true" useful watt range for various motors.

For example, the discovery IIRC, of Paul at EM3 EV that switching out the controller for the BBX series of mid-drives increasing the potential of an already decent motor to pretty amazing proportions especially for the relatively low knowledge required for the end-user, making the DIY builder able to meet and even exceed the performance of many "turn-key" Ebikes sold.

I am curious how many of the "250 - 350w" rated motors particularly made for use in Europe are more "Wolves in Sheep's clothing"?

Considering that many of these are higher priced, but also much higher quality "low watt" systems, than the typical "cheap is good, cheaper's better" Alibaba/Ebay build, pound for pound, might be a pretty decent set-up, may require some "hacks" to get full potential, but probably worth more than the opposite side of the coin, where you make up for inefficiencies with a crap-ton of LiPo.

Thoughts?

Back