Nunchuck (Kama) to VESC I2C doesn't work, any Howto?

erwincoumans

100 W
I digged up the information for the VESC I2C pinout and the (Nyko Kama) Nunchuck pinout, connected the 4 pins,
but after fiddling with the BLDC-tool, the Nunchuck doesn't work.
Do we need any pull-up resistors? Can anyone who got it to work explain some more details?

nunchuck_vesc_i2c.png

nunchuck_vesc_i2c_photo.jpg

This video by Benjamin Vedder doesn't have enough details about the wiring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8f0xg7DNmM

Thanks!
Erwin

Might be easier to use a Nunchucky.
345_00.jpg

torqueboards said:

Did you test it already with the VESC I2C? Is there a pull-up resister in there?

My current wiring doesn't work with the VESC I2C, and if your Nunchucky is just a replacement for the wires, I don't see how this will help me at all.

Can anyone help completing a how-to make the Nunchuck work with VESC I2C (assuming you already removed the Nunchuck connector) ?
Thanks anyway
Erwin

erwincoumans said:
torqueboards said:

Did you test it already with the VESC I2C? Is there a pull-up resister in there?

My current wiring doesn't work with the VESC I2C, and if your Nunchucky is just a replacement for the wires, I don't see how this will help me at all.

Can anyone help completing a how-to make the Nunchuck work with VESC I2C (assuming you already removed the Nunchuck connector) ?
Thanks anyway
Erwin

Yeah, Ben sent me one on a beta unit. Works fine. I don't think there are any resistors on it but don't quote me. I'm pretty sure it's straight forward.

Maybe, tonight I can get some photos up for you.

I will add more later when I can after work but here's a picture how mine is wired up. No resistors needed. I removed the unused wires from the connector since they are not needed.

Attachments

• wiring1.jpg
    wiring1.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 8,151
kwoolf1 said:
I will add more later

I think the convention is to use green for data and yellow(orange) for clock, but you reversed the colors. It is like using red for ground and black for vcc :)

My Nyko Kama Nunchchuck receiver looks like a different one, perhaps that is why it doesn't work for me?

Can you provide a link where you got the Kama exactly, so I can try a different revision?

erwincoumans said:
Can you provide a link where you got the Kama exactly, so I can try a different revision?

I bought it off ebay from a one-off seller. He only had one of them. They are not easy to find at least not for me. There are several different versions of the nunchuck out there and some of those versions don't work. Here's a picture of mine which I think is the same as Vedders and Torqueboards.
nunchuck.gif

You'll notice it is kind of "boxy" shaped at the top. Also the grip is ribbed on the front and backside battery cover.

I ordered one that looked exactly the same but the battery cover was smooth. The smooth one might work too but I haven't tried it yet.

The retail package for the one that works looks like this:
kama_package.jpg

Please note that other versions might work too. I'm just sharing what mine looks like and that it does work. Next post will be more on the wiring and use of adapters.

erwincoumans said:

The Nunchucky is an adapter that inserts into the standard housing of the nunchuck receiver. The contacts on the adapter make 'contact' with the internal wiring within the receiver then have pinouts on the outside of the PCB so you can wire off from them. This picture shows a Nunchucky inserted into the Kama receiver, then hooked up to an Arduino. My opinion is there is no benefit from using adapters. They are bulkier, they create more points of contacts, which can lead to more points of failure, and more points of troubleshooting. You get the point.
nunchucky.jpg

The Sparkfun WiiChuck Adapter is the same thing and is also not recommended.
wiichuck.jpg

erwincoumans said:
I think the convention is to use green for data and yellow(orange) for clock, but you reversed the colors. It is like using red for ground and black for vcc :)

You obviously opened yours already and for others I recommend this method too. Forget the adapter methods. Opening the receiver housing is easy. Just pry it apart gently with your fingernails, that's all you need. It will separate in half and there are some other pieces and fittings which you don't need. Gently pull out the PCB with the wiring. BE CAREFUL, the wires are pretty fragile. I replaced mine which involves some unsoldering of the old wires and resoldering of new ones. It's pretty easy to do if you have soldered before. This is what you want to pull out of the receiver housing:
RECEIVER_WIRING.png

It took me a while to figure out the wiring sequence but these are the colors and functions that works for me. The wires should be hooked up to the corresponding P3 connector on the VESC. In my earlier post you can see I hacked a 6 pin micro-JST connector (2.0 mm) and piggy tail twist-tied the correct wires together. At first it wasn't working for me but then I realized I had everything backwards. Once I got them right, and the LED light on the reciever PCB came on, I was so excited! :D

Others have recommended using 3/4-inch heatshrink to cover the receiver PCB. That's what I did too and here it is hooked up inside a project box. I drilled some holes in the project box so the bullet connectors would stick out. Then I can seal up the VESC and nunchuck receiver.

box.jpg

I ordered this project box off Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CS2TWE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps. If you have any questions just let me know and Good Luck!! :D

Not all nunchuks are working with the VESC (and not with the wiiceiver either). For example, the original wii nunchuk needs different code than the nyko kama because the decryption cannot be disabled... and that code does not work for the kama. I also had another nunchuk from deal extreme that I had to use yet another version of the code for. The DX chuk had really slow update rate and was not reliable.

@kwoolf1 Really nice update... thanks for you this.

@vedder so are you saying that the NYKO KAMA is the best one to get? It is the one that works natively?

I suppose if we want the ultimate setup we will all be needing your redesigned circuit for the nyko nunchuck? How's is the progress going? It sounded like you nearly had it finished.

Today I rode to work with my setup shown above. I had some malfunctions along the way. The nunchuck went dead like 5 or 6 times. I unplugged the battery to the VESC and then powered everything back up. I think it might be the placement of the wii reciever. Others have had similar problems and I'm going to try to extend the wires and put the receiver outside of the project box this time, somewhere beneath the skateboard deck by itself. Also, others have said to mount it flush with the deck so it is horizontal or parallel with the deck. Hope this fixes it. Might also be other radio transmission interference in the area. :?

I had the same issues with other ESC''s, but solved it by using Logic3 receivers while still using the Kama Nunchuk (the logic device needs to much time for binding, but the Kama still works together with that dongle).

There seems to be a (quality?) problem with the Kama receiver, which seems not to be the case with the Logic3 receiver. At least I had absolutely no signal losses anymore on all my 3 boards...

elkick said:
I had the same issues with other ESC''s, but solved it by using Logic3 receivers while still using the Kama Nunchuk (the logic device needs to much time for binding, but the Kama still works together with that dongle).

There seems to be a (quality?) problem with the Kama receiver, which seems not to be the case with the Logic3 receiver. At least I had absolutely no signal losses anymore on all my 3 boards...

Nice find! I wonder if that fixes things.

one of these Logic3? freebird?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/logic3-Wii-Freebird-Wireless-Nunchuk-Thumbstick-Controller-Motion-Plus-NEU-/321670220363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4ae50a0a4b

Yeah, but there are cheaper solutions available since you only need the dongle.

For example this one http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31+ZhWOfqCL._SX385_.jpg which is only around 7€. Just disassemble the dongle, connect with your Kama Nunchuk and throw away the ugly plastic adapter part which is anyway useless.

I think I blew my VESC :x but one problem I discovered was there was a loose wire coming off the receiver. The vibrations and constant sidewalk crack impacts will rattle things loose so I think that's what happened to me. Make sure all your wires have good solder connections and then for safe measure dump a blob of hot glue over it.
glueblob.jpg

However, after my next test drive I was still having issues and now my VESC won't detect or spin up the motor. So I have other problems now but I'm comfortable that my friend Glue Blob is doing his job at least. :D

FAULT_CODE_DRV8302

I've seen others report this fault too. Looks like I'm going to learn how to use a hot air solder now :shock:

elkick said:

I have to correct myself: while the above is true for the Wiiceiver, it's not working for VESC. First possibility to test it with a VESC was today, so only the original Kama Nunchu receiver will work with the VESC.

But nevertheless, thanks Benjamin for your excellent work! It's a lot of fun, especially the Z-Button for reverse...

And thanks to kwoolf1, your pin layout saved me from a fight with my wife about re-soldering everything again in our new kitchen! :)

Hope the new wii nunchuck PCB will fit into an original wifi casing, you can buy these for $2, any news on this @vedder

Ok so I've resigned vedders nunchuck PCB to help him out with all the pressure he is under. Iv made it to be the exact same size as an original wii nunchuck PCB, I will be taking preorders for this PCB and I will be posted on git hub very soon!

I taking numbers for the best beta of this boards. They will come fully assembled! In a wifi nunchuck case.
The good thing I out these is you can install a 10k pot and trigger instead or you can install a slider bar!

And then we can get a library of 3d printing files!iv attached a photo of an original nunchuck PCB.

Beta PCB preorder
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=70623&p=1065406#p1065406

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 7,540
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 7,540
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 7,540
Hi, this seemed like the right place to put this, I've been working on a pair of VESCs, and during a test, c25 on the master with the nyko kama blew, and seems to have killed the ICs. Now, when I tried to use the nyko kama on the surviving slave, the receiver was blinking, however as soon as I reconfigured the VESC to use it, the receiver stopped blinking, doesn't work for some reason and has shown no signs of life since. It literally worked with one VESC and might've up and died when plugged into another, not sure what happened or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Back