Nuvinci CVT hub

Lowell said:
If it will fit anyone's needs, put your design into production already. Build it cheap in China, and sell by the container.
My personal opinion is that you will have a hard time competing in the marketplace with hub motors that can be installed on almost any bike in an evening by anyone that can service their own bike. Prove me wrong.
Thats right. The small US market is filled with JUNK that people llike YOU are proud of.So why not wait for a decent market and see if anyone has made any improvements in quality and price and see how long they stay in business before they fail ? I have what I need and If I can see any future market emerging. It may just be in off road trail ebikes or small dirtbikes IF I even consider a business. Why ruin life with a business if you do not need one? If anyone wants to start there own ebike business and has investment capitol of there own to squander
in this fragil market Sure I can help them out for a % of any rewards if any? My home was just paid off and I entend to keep it.

EbikeMaui said:
Lowell said:
If it will fit anyone's needs, put your design into production already. Build it cheap in China, and sell by the container.
My personal opinion is that you will have a hard time competing in the marketplace with hub motors that can be installed on almost any bike in an evening by anyone that can service their own bike. Prove me wrong.
Thats right. The small US market is filled with JUNK that people llike YOU are proud of.So why not wait for a decent market and see if anyone has made any improvements in quality and price and see how long they stay in business before they fail ? I have what I need and If I can see any future market emerging. It may just be in off road trail ebikes or small dirtbikes IF I even consider a business. Why ruin life with a business if you do not need one? If anyone wants to start there own ebike business and has investment capitol of there own to squander
in this fragil market Sure I can help them out for a % of any rewards if any? My home was just paid off and I entend to keep it.

When I built my bike, I used components that were available off the shelf, right away. Local service and support counts for a lot as well.

The bike gets me to work faster than driving a car in traffic, and recreational riding is just a bonus. Please explain to me how my bike, which covers 33km through 3 cities in 33.5 minutes, is junk. It's been ridden over 1000 miles so far, and even during a record rainfall day of 60mm here in Vancouver. How does your bike handle sub zero temperatures and salt?

So basically you're saying there's no great demand for your system, and a business venture would be risky...

Actually this is about as genteel & laid back a discussion I've seen involving Randy on any of these forums over the past decade.
Margarita's anyone? :)

I find this confusing Randy. :?
If you're not going to produce & sell your creation, what is it that you want, what are you hoping to achieve here with the ad nauseum?
Acknowledgement, recognition, adulation?
All hail King Randall the first.

Is that good enuf to put a stop to this?

You've made your case repeatedly & everyone is quite familiar with your position. This is the digital age so it is unnecessary to keep re-posting the same thing. Anyone that wants to read it can look it up in the archive. Unless you've made some progress on your design, enuf already with the same conceptual drawings, I know where to find them. There are plenty of vehicles with silmilar form & function to yours out there.

Time to move on.

jackelope_left_129.jpg

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
Actually this is about as genteel & laid back a discussion I've seen involving Randy on any of these forums over the past decade.
Margarita's anyone? :)

I find this confusing Randy. :?
If you're not going to produce & sell your creation, what is it that you want, what are you hoping to achieve here with the ad nauseum?
Acknowledgement, recognition, adulation?
All hail King Randall the first.

Is that good enuf to put a stop to this?

You've made your case repeatedly & everyone is quite familiar with your position. This is the digital age so it is unnecessary to keep re-posting the same thing. Anyone that wants to read it can look it up in the archive. Unless you've made some progress on your design, enuf already with the same conceptual drawings, I know where to find them. There are plenty of vehicles with silmilar form & function to yours out there.

Time to move on.

jackelope_left_129.jpg
Then lets the performance figures.

EbikeMaui said:
[ Then lets the performance figures.

???!?!?!?!????!!!!!!!one!!?!?!?!??!

Lowell said:
Why isn't your setup for sale anywhere if it's so good? If it was truly worthwhile, someone would have made knock offs on a production scale, since the info has been around on the internet for quite some time.

The NuVinci hub has no real availability yet, but at least it's a real product with real support.

The Nuvinci Hub IS for sale... Has no one else found it for sale seperately?
Check here:http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3218

It is $400, I would put one on my BB drive Bike but I think my wife would absolutely KILL me if I spent more on this bike!!

Oh and randy, just shut-up if your bike is so damn awesome make the plans "open source" and let other build and comment on it, having only one person inputting on a bike design (especially a biased hothead) makes the review totally worthless!!
~S

sean said:
Lowell said:
Why isn't your setup for sale anywhere if it's so good? If it was truly worthwhile, someone would have made knock offs on a production scale, since the info has been around on the internet for quite some time.

The NuVinci hub has no real availability yet, but at least it's a real product with real support.

The Nuvinci Hub IS for sale... Has no one else found it for sale seperately?
Check here:http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3218

It is $400, I would put one on my BB drive Bike but I think my wife would absolutely KILL me if I spent more on this bike!!

Oh and randy, just shut-up if your bike is so damn awesome make the plans "open source" and let other build and comment on it, having only one person inputting on a bike design (especially a biased hothead) makes the review totally worthless!!
~S

I almost want to buy one just to take it apart!

"No missed gears, jerks, thumps, hesitations or noise
Dependable, performance unaffected by weather, dirt or mud"

That's exactly what I like about my hub motor. Combine the two into one unit and it would be the ultimate all weather setup. They should hire Xyster to do the mud and dirt durability test. :lol:

Miles said:
Lowell said:
Combine the two into one unit and it would be the ultimate all weather setup.
.... with 30 pounds of unsuspended weight.....

Not a problem for riding on pavement. For off road the unsprung weight wouldn't be ideal though, but how many people really ride their ebikes like motocross racers?

Lowell said:
Miles said:
Lowell said:
Combine the two into one unit and it would be the ultimate all weather setup.
.... with 30 pounds of unsuspended weight.....

Not a problem for riding on pavement. For off road the unsprung weight wouldn't be ideal though, but how many people really ride their ebikes like motocross racers?
The question sholud be: How many Ebikes can be used for motocross style riding?
http://tinyurl.com/2z7dhj
Using a 5 lb motor made fron a auto alternator with the options of the expensive Da Vinci hub or the Sram DD hub the end result in performance would be equal if the Da Viinci hub held up with 1600 watts of power and had the same efficiency of hard gears.With this rack motor mount many off the shelf electric motors can be used for many gear drive ststems. Why hasn't anyone tried it yet IS a good question too.This type of motor mount is not for the best use of the suspension.

Attachments

• Da Vinci.jpg
    Da Vinci.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,534
Miles said:
Your roads must be better maintained than those in London :)

Perhaps, and seems to be reflected in our taxes.

Are you talking bad surfacing, or potholes everywhere? I've never tried a suspended hub motor on rough stuff, I'd be interested to see how it works. (with the appropriate shock adjustments of course)

Lowell said:
Miles said:
Your roads must be better maintained than those in London :)

Perhaps, and seems to be reflected in our taxes.

Are you talking bad surfacing, or potholes everywhere? I've never tried a suspended hub motor on rough stuff, I'd be interested to see how it works. (with the appropriate shock adjustments of course)

Yes, potholes - usually poor work by the utility companies...

How can you have a suspended hub motor?

Lowell said:
How would it not be suspended if it's mounted on a rear suspension swingarm?
If you knew anything about suspensions It is impotrtant to keep them light weight along with the wheel weight.Otherwise you are defeating the intended movement and action of the suspension.If you do add some weight to a swingarm it is much better to put it as close to the pivot piont as possiable.Not at the axle.

EbikeMaui said:
With this rack motor mount many off the shelf electric motors can be used for many gear drive ststems. Why hasn't anyone tried it yet IS a good question too.This type of motor mount is not for the best use of the suspension.

Indeed.

all the weight is on the axle.

Might be good fer wheelies!

:lol:

EbikeMaui said:
Lowell said:
How would it not be suspended if it's mounted on a rear suspension swingarm?
If you knew anything about suspensions It is impotrtant to keep them light weight along with the wheel weight.Otheerwise you are defeating the intended movement and action of the suspension.If you do add some weight to a swingarm it is much better to put it as close to the pivot piont as possiable.Not at the axle.

Of course lighter is better, but to say it defeats the intent as incorrect. Unless there is a lot of high speed shock movement, the extra unsprung weight will make little difference to the average rider. What the average ebike rider WILL appreciate is a maintenance free sealed power unit with no noise, extra freewheels or motor cans.

Also, there's no reason for it to weigh 30lbs, as proven by the lightweight Puma geared hubmotor.

Miles said:
Lowell said:
Also, there's no reason for it to weigh 30lbs, as proven by the lightweight Puma geared hubmotor.

There are plenty of reasons for it to weigh 30 pounds but, admittedly, it wouldn't have to.
Exactily ! So it looks as if someone liked MY swingarm system.The addition of a lighter and well tested Sram Hub already has the option of TWO drives both independently using the Trans in comon and is much cheaper.With the weight and $ saved it would be better put into a great controller.Or give the motorbike Divinci the test with a few KW. Then Try the Sram/Sachs.

Attachments

• Sevcon Milipak Controller.jpg
    Sevcon Milipak Controller.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,418
  • SwingArmMotor.jpg
    SwingArmMotor.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 3,417
  • 7 lbSwingArmMotor3SpeedTrans.jpg
    7 lbSwingArmMotor3SpeedTrans.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 3,417
randy,

Question,

So with your bike, you took a sram casette, and replaced the big cog with a VERY big cog (i wanna say motorcycle), and run the motor on that?

i'm just confirming what i think it looks like :)

I'm still drueling over that controller.:)

Back