OneWheel: self-balancing e-skate

benj said:
It looks fun and good luck to the guys behind it, but doesn't this look similar to some Instructable projects - some going back to 2010!

http://m.instructables.com/id/Self-balancing-one-wheeled-electric-skateboard/

http://m.instructables.com/id/Easy-build-self-balancing-skateboardrobotsegway-/

Yes, that first one definitely looks like prior art to me... not sure how I feel about his patent. It seemed to me that the chinese clones had some upgrades and design additions. Imagine if only one company was allowed to make a car in the form of a pickup truck, or if only one manufacturer held the patent to an air conditioning system. They all are pretty damn similar in form and function!

the clone is called Trotter,
Lookwise, Trotter is borrowing pretty heavily from OneWheel.

OneWheel is not that original,
There were many DIY versions before he brought his to market,
his board is unique in that it uses a hub motor, while the DIY ones before him use chain drive.

http://www.e-skate-boards.co.uk/home/trotter-one-wheel
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/trotter-skateboard.html

[youtube]co5JNYRmm2s[/youtube]

===

these ones have 2 wheels side by side.
[youtube]9CcgKsZkUe0[/youtube]

Just got this one to check it out. Haven't opened it yet though.

2016_02_09.png

which model is that? I am curious to hear your thoughts!

I have ridden the one-wheel and enjoyed it, as did my wife and neighbor.

I am beginer novice skateboarder and it still was fairly easy to get proficient enough to get from A to B on it, and it climbed even the very steep hill my house is on. A friend was over who had some skateboard experience, and never having tried it before just jumped on and took off riding far better than myself after I had already practiced an hour on it.

If you tip it far enough, it will turn almost in place, maybe <1ft radius turns even for full 180s. If you have skating skills, it seems they translate well to it.

Thanks, Luke. The main thing I am wondering at this point is how does the controller/platform react under huge voltage sag? I have been dumped by my knockoff solowheel pretty hard a few times (always when carrying heavy things) when it was cold and batteries were drained and load got too high. On my skateboard, that has never been a problem and the worst thing that would happen would be that I keep rolling, on a one wheel device it resembles a VERY abrupt and unintended endo that is very hard to recover from!

Will the nose just skid if that happens? Does the controller stop you from travel at a certain voltage?

ecycler said:
Thanks, Luke. The main thing I am wondering at this point is how does the controller/platform react under huge voltage sag? I have been dumped by my knockoff solowheel pretty hard a few times (always when carrying heavy things) when it was cold and batteries were drained and load got too high. On my skateboard, that has never been a problem and the worst thing that would happen would be that I keep rolling, on a one wheel device it resembles a VERY abrupt and unintended endo that is very hard to recover from!

Will the nose just skid if that happens? Does the controller stop you from travel at a certain voltage?

I only have tried them a couple times in warm weather, so I can't comment about what happens when cold. However, I would be extremely surprised if it's loading the hard enough to make much difference if it's warm or not, and seems unlikely to impact its balancing and function.

Doesn't look like it would clear very big cracks and bumps in the sidewalks without snagging. The front seems to hang down pretty low when underway does it not?

Onewheel seems to have huge following.
Selling upward $1700 on eBay.

Wonder how it would be if it's controlled via remote like a skateboard rather than self-balancing.
Shouldn't be hard to do.

I hate reading "charges in 20 mins"

So you're claiming a 3C charge rate in a commercial product?

I wouldn't mind giving one of these a go. The Trotter seems much better value if you can really get them for $500USD. I have always been too afraid of Alibaba. Anyone had success ordering one of these? Or homebuilt one?

Waiting for a chance to get one. Definitely one of the better ks e-vehicles.

I just saw two guys riding on these. Looks legit, as in, it looks like the fun factor shouldn't fade out (I'm talking about you Mr. "Light my fire" Hoverboard). It's quiet, maneuverable like a skateboard, and the large pneumatic wheel seems to soak up 2" sidewalk inconsistencies. I followed them for a few miles and they both showed an awkward balance stance in heavy pedestrian traffic, and I'm not sure if it was rider related or the vehicle.

My gripes. No hard sliding turns, no foot braking, and extreme braking @15mph max speed to a stop isn't possible. Your board stance never changes, you can't switch stance from regular to goofy stance while on the move; not sure if the board does reverse with the same power output, but my hunch says nope.

Back