OpenSource Handheld Controller (E-go similar)

I highly recommend going with the slide throttle potentiometer.

I have rode an e-go for the past three and a half months. The slide throttle is very intuitive and the only option I would consider for my next board. Honestly, the esc and controller are so good on this board I am trying to upgrade around these components for more speed and range.

However, new developments such as hub motors and custom batteries have me looking at building my own.

If you have not used an e-go controller yet, I highly suggest you do. I doubt you would go a different route after doing so.

Vedder,
this is amazing as usual... a little question... will you offer a receiver too? or just your esc will be compatible with the new transmitter?
would be great if we could replace the existing wii Nunchuck with the new and improved version.
thanks again for taking this to the next level.
Yossi

vedder, you just rock.

torque: great thread! got my sugru... hacking will begin saturday, gonna slice my GT2B!

1427314585-1427283618-img-2306.jpg

... let's do it... now !

1427309883-img-2307.jpg

onloop said:
It would be nice to see some data on the display, like speed, distance travelled, battery level left, average power consumption etc.

'nice' you say... id fly to your house and kiss you.

Because you are so awesome i have donated $100 to your paypal.
Awesome, thanks :)

This sounds realy cool... but im a little confused.... this board will fit inside the nyko kama? Replaces the existing circuit board?

So you are still using the buttons and the thumb stick that are standard in the kama device?
Yes, it replaces the existing circuit board. My test version has two LEDs instead of one (to show the battery level with different colors) and uses the existing buttons.

If it works well, I will try to find a small display and cut a hole for it in the nyko kama. Maybe someone else can help with that? Electronics and software are my strongest areas, not cases and mechanics (for now).

So you also need a custom RX for the vesc? Did you build one of them also? Or is it a standard part?
It is based on the quite popular nrf24l01+ chip. For example, these modules work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Arduino-NRF24L01-2-4GHz-Wireless-RF-Transceiver-Module-New-/170819069271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c59c2557

I will connect that module to the VESC directly.

Vedder,
this is amazing as usual... a little question... will you offer a receiver too? or just your esc will be compatible with the new transmitter?
would be great if we could replace the existing wii Nunchuck with the new and improved version.
thanks again for taking this to the next level.
Yossi

My first plan is to make it work with just VESC, but if I have time might make a module. It is not much additional work, but I don't have any application where I would use it myself and therefore I would have limited possibilities for testing it. Since I publish all my code, it should be simple for anyone to make a receiver module. The existing wiiceiver code should be easy to adapt, just replace the i2c code to interface with the nunchuk.

Haha OKP that looks awesome. Definitely, post more pictures. Reference on GT2 - https://diyelectriclongboard.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/gt2/

Seems like it would cost more using Sugru. There's got to be cheaper putty to use for a custom Gt2b remote.

I'm going to see if I have time in a few days and fully spec out a list of features and start working on a parts list for a prototype.

Haha! Okp I've laughed at that twice now! If that hacksaw had emotions it would have been smiling for the picture.

I can't wait to see what you do with the sugru, that's going to be awesome. You know, I have an old mouse i'm going to tear apart and see if my GT2B guts will fit inside. But that sugru would be awesome to customize a grip onto it, or "fill it out" so it feels right.

I'm also excited to see what Vedder and Torque are working on too! #yearofthetransmitter!

Edit: Just found this and didn't want to double post. Someone has to have seen this. Is this guy on Endless Sphere? https://diyelectriclongboard.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/gt2/

craft211 said:
I know this is still theory at the moment, hope no one minds me adding my 2 cents. I dont have alot of experiance with electric boards but i do with electronics and some RC everything else.

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention braking. dont know if everyone uses it, but i've seen it mentioned a lot. anyone considered this?

from what i can tell there are a few things the remote will need to do to be successful, and people to want to use it over other options out there. ie. RC car remotes, nyko kama and the like. plus it will have to be easy enough for someone with basic experience with electronics to be able to follow instructions and assemble. not to mention the big thing of being able to customize it to a person specific build/needs.

I'm thinking it should have either a POT, slide wheel, or joystick, with the ability to slide both + and -, for acceleration and brake.
could be separated from each other but that will just complicate the setup and building it.
there could be a Brake button. but as a rider i want to be able to regulate the brake force between say 5% and 25% or whatever it is. I wouldn't want it to be a set say 7%. so that rules that out.
I've seen POTs, thumb wheels, and joysticks with self center. Ive yet to see a self return slide POT that would fit inside a comfortable handheld remote.
so it would probably have to be one of these.
Daumenrad_TRY13_06306905f5.jpg
Fingerjoystick_829_d0e2288859.jpg
WDD35D8T_self_return_spring_linear_potentiometer.jpg_220x220.jpg

A Dead man Switch to i kill the throttle if the control is let go for any reason. wouldn't be needed if we have a self zeroing throttle/brake control.

have a few add on buttons on it for secondary controls. cruise control, 2nd gear or non limited throttle. light controls, whatever a person could want really.

Personally i'd like it to also have a small LCD for telemetry information(bat power, speed, motor RPM, etc.) not really a priority. plus increases build cost a lot.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks

that thumb wheel pictured above, and at least 5 others that i've found are in the $55+ range from mouser. if anyone can find a cheaper version i'd be very interested.

Just wanted to share my weekend project..

It’s been on my to do list for a while and I had some time over yesterday and came up with this ”mod” for the GT2B transmitter.
I’ve replaced the very bulky 800mAh lipo with a more compact 1000mAh to keep the handle just big enough to fit the pcb. Will probably cut off the mini USB-port and move it to a better spot later..

If anyones interested I can share the STL files once I’m happy with the design.

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2813.JPG

Glad you like it

Im going to order 2 more transmitters soon and also get some small switches and screws for the final build, will also then photograph every step with better photos so people can replicate it..

Yeah I saw, cool!

Riding with it is pretty much the same as the original gt2b, still the same strong connection and accurate throttle control.
Super convenient to be able to just put it away in your the pocket of jacket or back of your pants. Before I always had small backpack with me just so I could stove away the huge transmitter..

Will do more testing and update the enclosure design, should probably have the 3D files and a guide ready in 3 weeks if there's interest.

Torqueboards: Haha OK, will see if I can send you the files earlier so you can test it out and get back with feedback.

I'm not a 3d modeler so if there's anyone with more skills and who would like to contribute; PM me.

okp: Don't remember exactly where I got it from, I have a big box of different sized lipos and 18650s that I found this one in.. It's easy (and really cheap) just to get a compact 600 - 1000mAh lipo from you favorite Chinese eshop, will post the maximum dimensions of the battery you can use when I publish the files.

Great work Bad wolf! For not modeling much, I think you nailed the basic design conversion that everyone is shooting for.

I'm excited to print one out for myself once I have some extra time.

To use the current battery setup wouldn't you just elongate the handle? or is it a width constraint with the PCB that was the issue?

@ Torque: There's a couple potential ways that I could see adding a spring.

One would be external tension spring, some added structure would be needed for this to work right though.
The other would be an internal compression spring, but the area inside the slide pot housing would be the determining factor.

A couple things to consider: A metal spring inside the slide pot housing could short connections.
Also, the spring force will be greater towards the outer edges of its limit. Meaning, due to the springs tension it will be more difficult to hold the throttle at higher speeds than lower speeds. Of course, this would mostly depend on the springs K rating.

@Hightower - I basically just need to add resistance for it to spring back to it's location, right.

Starting to seem like joystick is an easier option as they come pre-built spring loaded to come back to center.

Is that the only option and/or do they actually sell spring loaded slide potentiometers.

Seems like all they have are like fader sliders.

I wonder if you could even use rubberbands. Just would be a pita to replace if it was located underneath an enclosure.

Someone want to take apart their e-go controller apart :)

force_probe_06_1200.jpg

I assume, I need something similar to the above but a simpler form factor.

Hightower said:
To use the current battery setup wouldn't you just elongate the handle? or is it a width constraint with the PCB that was the issue?

I could make enclosure where the handle is about 3 - 4 cm longer if people want to use the battery that comes with the transmitter. Putting the battery sideways will make the handle too wide to sit well in the palm of your hand and till be able to control the throttle fully.

However the handle is pretty long already and would encourage people who want to shrink down their gt2b to find a battery that doesn't waste that much space. I will open up the hard plastic case on the included battery and see how big the actual lipo is, maybe it's small enough to fit.

Hey guys, just took my gt2E apart today and looks like an identical board to the B. I am about to start modelling a controller up for it, I'll post a few screen grabs in an hour or two, assuming I don't have dinner in the meantime.

But I have a question regarding the thumb movement. At the moment I am thinking I will do a nunchuck shaped thing possibly with the toggle replaced with a spinning wheel (I'll just make it up as I go along, good old "design by doing"). But my question is regarding the thumb movement. If one was wanting it in their hand and being able to slide, then it could make sense to place it on the outside of the fingers, with a sideways slider/toggle/thing instead of the forwards/backwards one. See image for reference. What are peoples thoughts regarding this thumb movement to control speed, compared to the up/down of the wii nunchucks? Thinking this way would also allow for you to press your thumb onto your finger for more stable control over rough ground, unsure if this is needed though.

thumb options.jpg

Edit: and I think a phone controller is a recipe for a broken $500 phone...

great ! one important thing to take into account is to have a controller enclosure compatible for both right & left handed people. Awesome idea for the spinning wheel. I think that the PCB of the GT2B is here to cover many features that are not necessary on a standard push/brake remote; the usb charging port is also not really well positionned because it goes out on the middle of your palm

can't wait to see what you are going to come with, as the GT2B controller transmission is rock solid. a small an stealthy controller is really a top notch move in the DIY eboard community; because it gives you this extra stealthy touch that I have when I take my girlfriend's evolve carbon board for a ride.

on my side, and even if I shrinked the GT2B stock enclosure, remove/dremel all the bulky stuff and patch is either with some kind of polymorph or sugru, there's still a lot of empty space left; so new enclosure is really a must :)

regarding the movement of the thumb I think that I prefer it like it is on GT2B vs the wii moving with the thumb. I prefer it the evolve way

Ok, sorta like the boosted controller, but a little bigger. Really hard to work around the shape of the pcb, is the one you used stock badwolf? It is much smaller than the gt2E controller has. The images attached fit 4 AA batteries horizontally opposite the pcb (green). Batteries aren't modeled, but should fit in the space just fine. The charge? plug will need to be relocated as getting the batteries out on the current concept will involve taking it apart, so 3 odd screws.

Looking at the PCB there is a lot on there that doesn't need to be, but I am far from the skill needed to take these bits out, let alone recognise them... Going to bed now, but will look into it further tomorrow, work out a quick trigger concept. If I can get the PCB to fit comfortable in the hand. The other option is have it on top, and the batteries in the grip, but this will make it pretty visually top heavy, shall experiment. It is symmetrical left/right.

view_1.jpg

view_2.jpg

view_3.jpg

view_4.jpg

I made some progress with the nunchuk replacement board. The updates are implemented in VESC and I made some tests. It is working fine so far, but I need to do more testing.

The code for the mcu on the pcb:
https://github.com/vedderb/nunchuk_mod

I will push the code for VESC soon and probably also make update the pcb design and order some PCBs. They have few components, so soldering them is easy.

Back