OpenSource Handheld Controller (E-go similar)

Nice, looks like a very decent printer he has there. For those wanting the files/sls nylon one, pending Okp's feedback I will modify or straight up release the files to print at home. I'll also chuck a high detail model on shapeways that people can buy as I will probably get one SLS too, depending how the nylon goes for the cubepro I use, when it eventually gets here.

The resin should give it a nice smooth surface. If the housing is too flexy then glue the battery tray down so they build strength and rigidity off of each other. My only real concern is it's size. Sure it can fit just fine in your coat pocket unlike the stock one. It is about the size of my wallet on a good day, when I have enough money to fill the coin pouch. The 4x AA's might be too big to comfortably hold for some, we shall see.

Tartopom - Don't take it apart just yet, and if you do, keep all the parts! A bunch of random things from the controller are reconfigured mechanically and used, including the steering. So best to wait until assembly.

will keep you posted ASAP. I am waiting for the message from the printer guy to notify me when I can pick it up. But as far as it goes, it has been quick ! can't wait how this turns out and how this nice design enclosure behave in terms of ergonomics while riding

1432309995-a4yigmm.jpg

it's low resolution - epoxy is drying. I will be getting the pieces soon. I plan to sand them with 280 paper and also paint it in black.

cost me 20 euros which is acceptable! I will be picking it up tomorrow 10AM :D

Looking good, will be interesting to see how the tolerances vary from mine and the rigidity. Be sure to get a nice close-up of the best and worst fit places!

some news. picked up the printed pieces. In fact it has been printed with low quality and then epoxied. Was the first time the guy did that. There are some drawbacks but that's enough to test bandaro's enclosure.

1432417376-img-2687.jpg

Epoxy is drying. The fact that the guy epoxied made some pieces (the one you screw the trigger) really weak, and I broke the little box ... Well no problem, I used sugru and epoxied over that. Getting the piece perfectly aligned is tricky - I cross fingers that everything is fixed and moves perfectly tomorrow morning :)

I binded the GT2E (seems I can bind it only once...!) and I noticed one really weird thing. Even both ESC are configured to have reverse OFF... when I use the GT2E... instead of braking... I have reverse (motors rolls the opposite way)... really strange.

having a lipo instead of AA would be so great because 4 AA weight is noticeable. I was quite impressed with the fact that the enclosure even if it has a different style has great ergonomics and fit perfectly in my hand (I used hot glue to test it... before removing the hot glue and putting epoxy + sugru)

will keep you posted tomorrow - great job bandaro!

okp that's due to your controllers. probably trying to move it you pressed one of the throttle trims to reverse. Just flip it back to normal or norm, I think and it should fix it.

I still want a 3d enclosure for the GT2B which is an easy swap. No soldering, no additional components.

If possible to use the same battery but a 1S 750mah battery wouldn't be too bad.

Nice Okp, glad you like it!

Regarding the broken box, I can make it solid and it won't break, but will use more material therefore cost more to print, marginally more I guess... Do you think it would have broken had it been printed in a higher res? Glad everything else is working out.

What torque said regarding the reverse issue. You may have wired the motor backwards or something, but it can be fixed easily with the switch or swapping any 2 motor wires.

Otherwise, glad to hear you are impressed and it is a decent fit size-wise. Let me know what you think of the thumb control when you have some hours on it, it's a little unconventional but should be pretty natural.

Torque - A gt2B would be nice I must say, remove the size and weight of the AA batteries, and have it more easily charged. If the gt2B control console fits the same panel housing as the "E", and the battery in it fits within the 4 AA battery dimensions, when I don't see why it wouldn't fit. All speculation though, I have never seen a "B" internals in real life... So as it stands there is only an easy, solderless and no additional components enclosure for the "E". Maybe badwolf will do another iteration with his? I don't have the funds to take time off work and design/make an enclosure for the B.

I finished the assembly, just missing some screws but that's not a problem as I will use electrical tape to keep it in place. Will film a ride video of this tomorrow.

More photos here : http://fun.gamani.org/endless-sphere-bandaros-thumb-transmitter-diy/

Regarding reverse, in fact I noticed that the installation of the new GT2E receiver reseted some ESC settings as motor timing (which came back to 0) and reverse which was set back to ON. Works fine now after I put back the proper values.

Everything fits perfectly, only thing that could be improved is to reduce the size (make it less "bulky") and weight using a lipo (just the AA to lipo modification on the GT2E existing case) and maybe get rid of the control panel. That would be awesome. At first sight, the feeling to use the thumb control is great and really ergonomic. Congrats!

What do I need to put a lipo to replace the existing AA cells ? how much S and Amps?

REMINDER: Owner of GT2E and GT2B... check the fail safe of your RX... you may have surprises !

okp said:
What do I need to put a lipo to replace the existing AA cells ? how much S and Amps?

I think normally anywhere from 1S 350-750mah would be fine but if you don't have a charging port like the GT2B not sure if it's worth the hassle.

GT2B would be the best bet IMO. Works flawlessly and it's only $3 more than GT2E on US West on HK.

Great work though Bandaro. Looks good.

Wow that's too bad about the 3d prints coming out so striated. I like to use the same 2 part epoxy your printer used, its meant to remove the striation lines and should strengthen the print quite a bit if done right. I only have one GT2B right now but I'm grinding through all the posts here to figure out which platform I want to start my own modeling around. I'd like to not have to add parts, just make the controller more lithe.

okp said:
Everything fits perfectly, only thing that could be improved is to reduce the size (make it less "bulky") and weight using a lipo (just the AA to lipo modification on the GT2E existing case) and maybe get rid of the control panel.

I guess you could use some balled up aluminium cooking foil, sticky tape and AAA batteries to reduce the weight... Wouldn't be pretty, but you wouldn't see it either. I kept the AA as it let me eliminate the need for soldering, same as the panel. Also, having the control panel there could be handy as you can still see/adjust everything as needed, plus it's easier to keep it than remove it without electrical knowledge.

lowrizzle said:
I only have one GT2B right now but I'm grinding through all the posts here to figure out which platform I want to start my own modeling around. I'd like to not have to add parts, just make the controller more lithe.

Go the B. Without replacing the AA batteries to AAA and removing the control panel, you will not get the E any more compact or lighter than I did. I feel the B has more potential having done what I have. Unfortunately, it wasn't in stock when I purchased my gear, hence I got the E to start with. I feel putting lipo in the E would be a lot more than $3 worth of hassle, as torque said.

hey, just did a short test of the enclosure. In fact I was not expecting it to be short. I was going for a 2h session :) On my desk, it performs really nice... which is different on the street. I tested it 15 minutes... and it's REALLY hard for me to get the adequate feeling that I have on my trigger remote. I found it to be way less accurate and difficult to control, especially on my 12S setup. I came back home, picked my other trigger radio made on GT2B... a totally different world. I know that I need to get used to it, but with such a high power setup I found the learning as well as the throttle curve (even without changing it - linear mode) really difficult to deal with - even at low speed or to start, using a wheel. Maybe the VESC will have more soft curve handling...!

for less powerfull setup I assume it can be great, but on 12S it requires a lot of practice to get used to it. Will try again :)

If someone is in France or Europe; I can send them the enclosure for them to try.

torqueboards said:
@Hightower - I basically just need to add resistance for it to spring back to it's location, right.

Starting to seem like joystick is an easier option as they come pre-built spring loaded to come back to center.

Is that the only option and/or do they actually sell spring loaded slide potentiometers.

Seems like all they have are like fader sliders.

I wonder if you could even use rubberbands. Just would be a pita to replace if it was located underneath an enclosure.

Someone want to take apart their e-go controller apart :)

force_probe_06_1200.jpg

I assume, I need something similar to the above but a simpler form factor.

As requested e-go remote!
Not much to see

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

okp said:
hey, just did a short test of the enclosure. In fact I was not expecting it to be short. I was going for a 2h session :) On my desk, it performs really nice... which is different on the street. I tested it 15 minutes... and it's REALLY hard for me to get the adequate feeling that I have on my trigger remote. I found it to be way less accurate and difficult to control, especially on my 12S setup. I came back home, picked my other trigger radio made on GT2B... a totally different world. I know that I need to get used to it, but with such a high power setup I found the learning as well as the throttle curve (even without changing it - linear mode) really difficult to deal with - even at low speed or to start, using a wheel. Maybe the VESC will have more soft curve handling...!

for less powerfull setup I assume it can be great, but on 12S it requires a lot of practice to get used to it. Will try again :)

If someone is in France or Europe; I can send them the enclosure for them to try.

Interesting, thanks! Out of professional curiosity, how were you holding it? Was the difficulty in control because you are not used to the movement or something else?

I may have some time to tinker and play with it while I wait for the grip/trucks to arrive, because my other project is just about done:

Untitled-1.jpg

toasted ! beautiful project !!!

I am holding it this way :

IMG_2707-260x260.jpg

I also noticed that the enclosure is slightly getting hot because of the AA getting warm but that's not a big issue.

I tested it again, and maybe it is me, as I am holding my actual trigger (on my usual remote) with two fingers on the trigger... to ensure ultra precise movement whereas I cannot get this done with your enclosure design. The finger movement is more lateral on your enclosure which is harder for me to get precise movement

Interesting. I noticed you had it held like that in an earlier post. So that is how you naturally picked it up and used it? This is also particularly interesting because you have referred to it as 'Bandaro's thumb controller'. It seems I have a mapping issue there somewhere, because you are not holding it how I envisaged one to hold it.

transmitter.jpg

I thought someone would hold it like this, I feel this allows a user to support their thumb on the case above/below the wheel to provide additional stability while going over bumps. The getting hot is surprising, surely the batteries wouldn't be getting stressed with such a small amp draw.

yes, you are right bandaro !

I mixed "thumb" and "finger" :)

I picked it up this way naturally because it felt great in the hand, but I will try your handling.

By the way, when I am using my controller, this is how I control the throttle, with two fingers.

1432665996-img-2741.jpg

Tartopom said:
OKP ! I'll take the enclosure happily for a try! :D
I'm in France and with a GT2E :p

Tarto.

Tarto,

Message me as I cannot dissociate the enclosure from the GT2E components as it's already integrated (and epoxied) according to bandaro instructions. In other terms, I can sell you the remote but it will need to cover (no benefits) the costs I had to built it:
- I paid 20e for the 3D printed enclosure
- I paid 18e for the GT2E (ordered at HK)
+ shipping unless you are in Paris.

I tried it again this morning and using my real "thumb" (and not the finger!) to control a ultra powered board is really difficult for me to get used to, and the handling is less natural, as my natural pick up was to use my finger.

Hello OKP :)

I'd like to refund you the money, but if I can't use it with my own GT2E, I prefer to buy a GT2B and to print badwolf enclosure, as I'm also pretty sure it will be more ergonomic.
but If I could recycle my GT2E, it would have been fun to try this stone shaped remote :)

Tarto.

Hey guys,
I've been working on and off with a version 2 of my case. Right now; time and spending money on plastic for prototyping is limiting how soon it will be done.
Some updates that I'm done with are:
- Original screws to hold the case together (only need to supply 2 x 3m screws + nuts for the pcb and pot)
- Using existing powerswitch with a printed extension
- Can accommodate the original included 800mah battery
- Hole for the bind button
- A few mm slimmer then v1 and with lots rounded edged

There's still lots of stuff I want to do, for e.g having the option not to desolder the USB-port..

Here's a screenshot of what the new case looks like as of a few weeks ago:
Bad_Wolf_v2_proto.jpg

Back