overdischarged lipo

i left my lipo hooked up to my bike for a week and it drained the battery.

I trickled charged my 6s battery up to 17V and i tried to hook it up to the lipo charger but it read a cell as too low.

There's no way to charge that individual cell?
Any way to salvage the battery?

What's the voltage reading of the cell that is too low?

How low was the pack before you started trickle charging it?

BTW you had better keep an eye on that lipo if you charge it again. overdischarging lipos and then sticking them on a charger is how fires happen. I'm off to bed. Don't catch your house on fire in the meantime :lol:

Yep, if it got below 2.5 v I'd be chucking that one.

yeah, the cells were at 1v when i trickle charged it.

after trickle charge, 5 cells are around 3V and one is at 0V

The other 6S pack, i trickle charged and all cells came back to 3V and appears to be ok. nothing got puffy or hot. I watched them like a hawk while they were charging since I didn't want to burn my house down in an attempt to salvage 100 bucks. :p

neoplasticity said:
The other 6S pack, i trickle charged and all cells came back to 3V and appears to be ok. nothing got puffy or hot. I watched them like a hawk while they were charging since I didn't want to burn my house down in an attempt to salvage 100 bucks. :p

The prudent thing here would be to chuck them and get new ones, even the pack that seems to have recovered.

Or, at the least, don't charge them unattended, and be alert for wacky behavior and/or imbalance/reversal on discharge.

The pack with a 0v cell, discharge it and send it to be recycled.

The other pack is probably toast as the cells hung out at 1v for a while, charge it at your own risk but i think it's toast too.

Hobbyking sells 8ah lipo packs now so hey, think of it as a chance to upgrade to something better if you are running a small pack.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16228

Back