Overjuicing a mid drive motor?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Dudes,

I want to build a high power bike, something equivalent to about 4000w of hub motor power on my 26" mtb.

The thing is that I don't know which size mid drive motor I need since they usually require much less power than a hub motor.

All those motors I see on Aliexpress are rated for max 48v (rarely go to 60v on the huge ones) and 12-20A.
The question is, can I over volt or over amp the thing like I do on hub motors? my hub is almost 8kg and is rated for 1500w 48v and in reality it took 4.2kw for two years at 88v and now it's up to 10kw and still taking it well.

I don't wanna buy a huge motor, I've seen people squeezing many amps into those little mid drives but the wires seem pretty thin...
Do you think I can squeeze something that feels like 4kw of hub motor out of this thing?
goo.gl/wecBQa

Would appreciate any help :)

Roy

You can, but if you're talking about the brushed motors be prepared to replace them often. If they're brushless they'll last longer than the brushed ones. They still dont like to be overvolted/overpowered as a more expensive motor.

I don't think mid drives are as easy to overvolt than say DD hub motors. I know the BBSD can handle 52v with stock controller. But at least you can upgrade the mosfets to run some more amps as well. 52v x 40A = 2,080 watts of power. That's a lot to go through the bike drive chain imo. This is where my experiments end. I haven't begun to look into alternate BBSHD controllers. But this is what a hotrod mid drive looks like to me...

Contact lightingrods on ES and ask for a big block motor. They are 62kv inrunners. I own 2 of them and they will run at 82 volts easily and higher too. They are rated at 3000 watts, but I can tell you from personal experience that is a very conservative number. I run the one I have had for year at 4000 watts continuous. The new one I just got will be running at 5000 watts. I intend to run it at 130 volts. The motors LR sells are solid motors and worth every penny you pay for them. There are a couple of motors that are better and have similar wattage ratings, but all of them cost a lot more money.

3000%20watt%20inrunner%201_zpskro6qhbv.jpg

Back