overvolting cyclone

Anyone out there overvolted a cyclone motor? They're made to run on 24V-48V. I'm talking about running 66V from dewalt pack. I'm not so worry about the motor blowing up or the winding. I'm interested in the 500W or the 650W kit and i wonder if they have a high voltage cutoff. How about the quality of that planetary gearbox it have. Any chance of fast wear and tear at that voltage? How well is it sealed up? If it is nicely sealed up will it allow some automatic transmission fluid added?

With the 500w you need to be careful of the integrated controller. I came across a reference that the controller has 35v rated components internally.

The 650w is purely a motor / gearbox, so there is scope to use your own controller or mod the supplied one. The supplied controller has IRFP064V fet's that are rated to 60v, 5.5 mOhm, I don't remember what the cap's were rated to, sorry.

The planetary gearbox is all metal and grease lubricated. Pretty well sealed, for a metal on metal seal. If you made up your own gasket you would probably get a decent seal but then you would have to figure out a way to stop fluid running back through the input shaft bearing. Why AFT fluid ? The gearbox is only running at moderate speed and is probably designed around EHP Moly grease lubrication. I am not a power transmission guru so happy to be corrected.

At the very least you would be on your own WRT warranty.

From memory the planet gears run on propper bearings.

Back