Pinion Motor Gearbox Unit

Triketech

1 kW
New kid on the block.
Pinion 12 speed mid drive with 800W Peak motor @ 9.0 Lbs.
Not gonna be cheap or aftermarket.

Everything is cool when you still have energy left in battery. Idea is good as long as you still have mechanical derauiler in the back.

There is a thread on the EBR site below

This is indeed a very nice, natural and ideal evolution for "low" power e-bikes.

Its a cool combination of parts for sure. Production ebikes seem to have mostly embraced custom frames the same way gearboxes have. So if you are already giving up a standard frame for an ebike you might as well have the gearbox in it.

I feel like gearboxes alone dont have enough benefits to justify their custom frames.

Hopefully this keeps people from destroying cassettes while shifting under Electric power.

I hope this helps bring the power levels up for the major brands. I have always felt like the drivetrain durability was a big reason 750watt ebikes cost $7k while we custom builders can get 10kw on a walmart POS for $1000.

I hope this helps bring the power levels up for the major brands. I have always felt like the drivetrain durability was a big reason 750watt ebikes cost $7k while we custom builders can get 10kw on a walmart POS for $1000.
If going high power like 10kW, then there is no need for gears on the motor drivetrain.
In that case, it is better to adopt a dual drive train system, with a single gear ratio on the motor side, and appropriate gears on the pedaling side, like on bikes like LMX, SEM, Boxxbike.
In Throttle mode you can then go from zero to max in a single twist, without having to care for gears, but you can pedal the bike in pedal assist mode with the gearing you need.

Ideally replacing the derailleur by an internal geared hub on the pedaling side, like I did on my Boxxbike using a Kindernay VII.

Its cool but of no use in a higher powered ebike engine. BBSHD at 2k is pretty much the norm and this engine doesnt even come close to that.

Back