• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Planing to build my first eBike, critiques please.

Roger86 said:
The only way to know for sure is buy and test actual capacity, which most buyer's don't bother to do.

I guess the controller / 850C would be able to show how much Ahs I use before the battery runs out, won't it?
I don't have a lot of faith in the accuracy of the stock displays.
Best methods to verify battery capacity (Amp Hours and/or watt-hours) would be:
1. Cycle Analyst with remote shunt
2. A simple watt-meter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Precision-Meter-Analyzer-Backlight/dp/B017YCTRKK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1484592972&sr=8-10&keywords=watt+meter

In either case, run the meter (or shunt) inline from the battery to the unit (controller).

Hi Roger. The reason I keep going on about the sand is if you are thinking 27.5 tires this will also give you effectively taller gearing as Chalo was stating so the drive sproket you showed on the last kit you were thinking of buying may not be a good choice. The mini 30 tooth from luna will be a help with the big wheels regardless of your first gear on your cassette if you run in sand.

My advice especially when you first mentioned about budget, dont buy the wrong stuff. Take your time and research, that is what this forum is for. The is extra reason to try your extra hardest to buy the right stuff for the job first time around if you are on a budget. Lots of us here on the forum have all made the mistakes ahead of time for you of buying the wrong stuff. Keep us posted Roger, if I were you I would buy this .... https://lunacycle.com/luna-2017-4-season-3000-black-fat-tire-ebike-khs/ and you are set to go. I realize it easy to spend other peoples money but if you buy a kit for the skinny tires you will spending money on a second bike down the road IF you want to do sand and you would be better off to save all the headaches and get the luna fat bike as shown. Good for the trails too. If you have the cash get the bluto forks as well as then down the road if you want front suspension you wont have to buy a new hub and build the wheel to fit the forks then you have a good all around trail and snow bike all in one.I think that it is better if you can to have one good bike able to do it all especially if you are even thinking of sand riding. You could always load up your pack pack down the road with extra battery packs if you want to do that actual 60 mile ride you were originally thinking about. I know for myself if I had just bought what I am recomending above here first time out of the gate (but that was not available 6 years ago) I would have saved myself thousands in the long run and would have had the ideal bike right from the get go. .........wayne

Hi guys,
I just ordered the BBS02B motor and battery.

f70345c483e0de8ee3f104d9fe9ce45f.png

937a47048cfb41812347d8845bae60e3.png

I took a not-so-big 12AH battery, so later, if needed, I would add another one to the rack.

Hopefully both will arrive in some 20 days and I'll keep posting how it goes. :D

Waynebergman, that Luna bike of course looks great, but right now my budget is a bit under their price tag. :oops: So maybe later.

Not sure why you would order from China when for the same prices you could have bought from Luna here in the states.

Luna price on the bbso2 is 469.

I'm glad you went with the BBSO2. That should be a great unit.

Zbikenut said:
Not sure why you would order from China when for the same prices you could have bought from Luna here in the states.

I'm from Latvia, EU. :D

Roger86 said:
Zbikenut said:

I see, thats the reason behind the 60mile range hopes, its so is this ebike build emergency escape the country ebike if Putin decides to take over Latvia or take a bite out of it like Ukraine? Apparently the baltic states are nervous when Trump takes power because he is quasi-friendly with Putin..

TheBeastie said:
Roger86 said:
Zbikenut said:

I see, thats the reason behind the 60mile range hopes, its so is this ebike build emergency escape the country ebike if Putin decides to take over Latvia or take a bite out of it like Ukraine? Apparently the baltic states are nervous when Trump takes power because he is quasi-friendly with Putin..

No, no, the ebike is just for long rides along the shoreline in summer. :D From Jurmala to Kolka, for example.

afe5f46a55c5dc30fdb864a9714e0a1e.png

To keep putin away we have our own army, we are a member of Nato, as well as a few hundred US Marines are station over here, which I am sure Putin would not want to mess around with.

As for Trump, I just don't see a reason for a president of a country that has about 20% world GDP to have anything to do with Putin, who's Russia had 2% of world GDP in 2014, 1% in 2015, 0.5% in 2016 and might go belly-up in 2017. In my opinion, it is just a smoke screen, i.e. while Trump tells Vladimir that he is on his side, therefor Putin won't do anything bad, just to maintain this illusion of friendship, while Mad Dog Mattis and other Republicans go hard on Russia.

Just received the battery from china and

1. they forgot to add the keys. :lol: so I can't take it off the mount

2. the switch seems to be always ON. As you see in the picture, it is turned off, but still outputs 48.9v

6fc77509d0af148321420919e8d3bfbc.jpg

Roger86 said:
TheBeastie said:
Roger86 said:
Zbikenut said:

No, no, the ebike is just for long rides along the shoreline in summer. :D From Jurmala to Kolka, for example.

afe5f46a55c5dc30fdb864a9714e0a1e.png

To keep putin away we have our own army, we are a member of Nato, as well as a few hundred US Marines are station over here, which I am sure Putin would not want to mess around with.

As for Trump, I just don't see a reason for a president of a country that has about 20% world GDP to have anything to do with Putin, who's Russia had 2% of world GDP in 2014, 1% in 2015, 0.5% in 2016 and might go belly-up in 2017. In my opinion, it is just a smoke screen, i.e. while Trump tells Vladimir that he is on his side, therefor Putin won't do anything bad, just to maintain this illusion of friendship, while Mad Dog Mattis and other Republicans go hard on Russia.

My Lithuanian family think the same...... This is one time I am NOT looking forward to saying I told you so when Trump withdraws from NATO and the Little Green Men start showing up.

WoodlandHills said:
My Lithuanian family think the same...... This is one time I am NOT looking forward to saying I told you so when Trump withdraws from NATO and the Little Green Men start showing up.

Well, judging by the event in Avdiivka, Putin's phonecall to Trump didn't go very well. :?

9b0708a52401167cd982cfeb97bc8902.jpg

finally got all the parts, assembled the bike and took it our for a ride :D

yet just after I got the famous e-grin, the chain snapped making me regret getting a mid drive, instead of a hub motor. :)

59ec6693c812513c85be13883eae47b8.jpg

Hey, here's fellow from Riga :)
I have cyclone 3000w mid-drive and chain seems holding good so far (thou done only few test rides)

Things to consider to avoid chain breaking:
- new good quality chain
- don't shift under full power
- align chain line so that most used gears have as straight line as possible

Sveiks Jāni! I took the faulty link out of the chain, therefor making it shorter, but seems to hold on pretty good so far. Yet another thing pops out, after staying for the night in the garage ( about 0 degrees C outside ), the battery seems empty and the bike was hardly able to move forwards. Brought the battery inside to charge and warm up... we'll see how it does tomorrow. :D

Back