Post Your Electric Longboard or Electric Mountainboard Build

matty_x said:
@xdaass, I love that Rob Roskopp throwback Simpsons deck. Just an unsolicited word of advice. I put some of those 83mm wheels on an old school deck of mine and even with 1/2" risers I got the gnarliest wheel bite. Threw me straight onto the asphalt hard when I was trying to do a pretty light turn (not even a carve). My take is that those big wheels require lots and lots of clearance.

I will try with a riser and update

thanks for the input

@okp, wish you all could take it for a spin. It is a go-cart for your feet! I'll post a screen shot when I top out the speed on a full charge. Anyone know of some good highspeed replacement bearings. I think mine are done. Thanks

Turnigy 6374 kv192
Turnigy 5000 20C 10s (6+4s)
11x47 #25chain
UBEC 2-12s Alien Power System
Twin 150amp 2-12s HV ESC Alien Power System
"Instamorph" moldable plastic for ESC mount
10 gauge 1050 Strand ESC motor leads
10 gauge battery leads
100 amp battery disconnect switch
Momentary switch (for anti-spark)
Spectrum DX2E controller/receiver
battery tie down (2 pieces cutting board/20 pound 3M tape)

The APS ESC comes with priceless support from Bruno. I live in the US and through e-mails he worked with me on my specific needs for my project. Great system and easy to program. I'm thinking about my next build with his motors, because they look
"badass"!

highfiving said:
@okp, wish you all could take it for a spin. It is a go-cart for your feet! I'll post a screen shot when I top out the speed on a full charge. Anyone know of some good highspeed replacement bearings. I think mine are done. Thanks

Seismic Tekton bearings are supposed to be really good and fast, but haven't tried them yet. I have a set to install when i build my eboard (still collecting parts and planning).

HTH - GL!

rs4race said:
This is my first board the Outrunner Board, It was built for a class project. I wish I would have found this website back then, we could have made a better board.
Specs are:
Sk3 5055 320kv motors
HTD 5M 12/36 gearing
3d printed hangar clamps
cnc cut aluminum motor plates
Hk150 esc w custom heatsink
Turnigy 6s 5.8ah x 2
Custom Omen Kush 16plies
Orangatang wheels 3d printed spacers

Current setup will do about 22mph, haven't ran through a whole pack before charging yet. Previous 450kv motors, 5Ah batteries did 31mph and 15miles no coasting.

This has totally changed my build plans. I already chatted w/ the Omen guys a few weeks ago - super cool folks. Was going to bring up my rear truck w/ dual motors fitted to see what deck would fit.

You mentioned the internals but didn't see the pic of how it's setup? Those 6s 5800 packs are pretty thick so especially interested in how you got them to fit in the deck! Not sure if your motor mounts are available to purchase? They looks "shorter" than most i see to keep them tight to the trucks, which you need for a drop deck like this. Sent you a PM.

Thx RS4Race! Great boards!

i'll bet he opened up the packs and spread out the cells inside the deck and rewired them. Please correct me if i'm wrong; I've been thinking a lot about this approach myself. This is a very, very nice build, btw.

The batteries were hacked and reconfigured. The Speed controllers were also decased and I made custom heatsinks that bolt to the cover plate.

Very clean hacking the battery packs under the board with a skid pad. At the same time spreading the batteries as to not have long cable connections. Nice! So inconspicuous you could kick it and no one would know its a powered vehicle
I carry a bunch of batteries in my backpack to suit my riding plans. Busted if the Po-lease see me

highfiving said:
Very clean hacking the battery packs under the board with a skid pad. At the same time spreading the batteries as to not have long cable connections. Nice! So inconspicuous you could kick it and no one would know its a powered vehicle
I carry a bunch of batteries in my backpack to suit my riding plans. Busted if the Po-lease see me

a giant lipo-filled backpack strapped to your back with an apple-esqe mag connector coming out of your ankle would probably give you something like 100 mile range without having to change packs. This is yet another idea that has crossed my mind, but then i thought about what it would be like to fall on my back and puncture some of those lipo cells turning me into a flaming pink floyd album cover.

Nice setup Pedi!

That's one low clearance deck! any issues yet clearing objects with the battery/controller box under deck?

How is the slow speed performance with the hub motors? Hills? Any video?

What is the setup - motors, Tx/Rx, ESC's, batteries? Range?

The box is actually just 1.5 thick. I've been testing it around the neighborhood going through curbs and driveways, it clears a 1.5 inch rise. The aggressive bumps, I had to go diagonal, like way the asian race cars do. :wink:

Slow speed is great, runs almost like my brushed motors at low speed, then when you punch it, it makes this awesome noise and propels you like the superman ride at magic mt. Videos and specs in my thread.

No uphill test yet because I think I need bigger batteries. The LVC is kicking 5 mins in the ride.

First Build, I have 100+ miles on it so far and it is a blast! here are the specs:

Turnigy sk3 190 KV motor
Hobbywing 150A pro esc
2x 8000 mah zippy lipos in series
GT2B controller
Custom mount, esc housing, and battery housing

IMG_20150502_150759358 (800x450).jpg

Here are some pictures of the custom motor mount and drive train. The motor mount is somewhat patterned after the alien mount but it is a one piece mount rather than two, and just a really simple design, but it definitely gets the job done. I have since counter bored the mounting screws for more ground clearance (I think it looks better too), and I have added additional holes for shrouding.

IMG_20150417_132320230 (800x450).jpg

IMG_20150502_150718120 (800x450).jpg

Here is the drive train with the 3d printed shroud for the drivetrain. I thought the chamfer would print fine without support material, but it didn't turn out too great, so I need to reprint this piece.

IMG_20150521_200029392 (450x800).jpg

Here is the 3d printed housing for the hobbywing 150A pro esc. The only problem I had is that one of the filter capacitors fell off one day (I am still trying to figure out how this happened?!?!) So i soldered on a new one and printed a little extra piece to cover the caps just in case. Other then that is has been great!

IMG_20150521_195958359 (450x800).jpg

I also made a 3d printed housing for the batteries that has turned out a lot better than I thought I would. I added a few features that have been great: it has latches and a polyethelene cover with hinges that makes swapping out and accessing the batteries super easy. I printed it in two pieces, one that was the main housing, and another thin piece that matches the curvature of the board, and the two are screwed together (this way I can move it over to a different board later If I want to without having to reprint the whole thing). The only problem I had with this is that on the larger piece the corners peeled up a bit from the print bed because I don't have access to a printer with an enclosure, but so far this hasn't given me any problems. I also made the attachment points spring loaded so that the enclose can separate from the deck a bit when the deck flexes, this was just an experiment, but it seems to work great.

IMG_20150502_150657460_HDR (800x450).jpg

IMG_20150521_195908414_HDR (450x800).jpg

View attachment 2

IMG_20150521_200120583 (450x800).jpg

Switch is a XT-90s:

Building this has been a blast! I never would have been able to do it without all the help from you guys! also, I am more than happy to share any and all custom parts, just let me know if anyone is interested.

Cool new parts. I should have a new build soon with sensored motors/escs :) Black & Blue.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

yay! finally got some free time. It's ride time!

New setup on Jet Machine deck, I just love em gas pedals!

Attachments

• 20150612_193348.jpg
    20150612_193348.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4,113
  • 20150612_193421.jpg
    20150612_193421.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 4,113
Back