Power for my PDA

drsolly

100 W
I want power for my PDA up at my handlebars; the battery it has, will last for about 7 hours, which is usually enough for a day out, but sometimes I go out for a lot longer than that. I had thought of using the bike battery, put through a voltage reducer, and a switch, and a fuse for safety, but then I decided to go for something a lot more simple. It's a small (apparently 20 amp hours, 5 v, but I suspect it's actually a lot less than 20 AH) "power pack", used for extending the like of mobile phones, cost me about £8. No need for a fuse or a switch, just a cable from my saddlebag to the handlebar. And if I need 5v for other devices, I can tap into it for those.

That ought to work with anything that can handle 5v. Another approach which I use, is a separate 12v battery. Then devices that can plug to a cigarette lighter work.

On really long rides on low traffic roads, I will keep my ipod or phone charged up with the car charger.

Ebikes.ca is selling a DC-DC adaptor for E-devices for charging straight from the bike's battery pack. Either via the 12V adaptor on the cycle analyst or via an anderson's tap. Claims to be waterproof which makes sense since it's exposed to the elements. :idea:

melodious said:
Ebikes.ca is selling a DC-DC adaptor for E-devices for charging straight from the bike's battery pack. Either via the 12V adaptor on the cycle analyst or via an anderson's tap. Claims to be waterproof which makes sense since it's exposed to the elements. :idea:

The accessory plug isn't 12VDC on CA, it's 1A @ PACK VOLTAGE hence the need for dc-dc convertor.

Personally, powering small devices off the main pack is more complicated and trouble than I care to be bothered with. 'got plenty old batteries configured to provide several Amps @ 12VDC requiring much less wiring (at least on my bike layout) than dc-dc convertors, etc.

Simplicity is why I decided to not take the voltage from the main battery, put in a fuse, a switch and step it down. I do like simple solutions.

Like Y, I also have lots of old batteries with low capacity or discharge rate laying around by now. So for me it's simple to carry a separate 12v battery.

Currently I use a 12v 10 ah A123 pack, that can't handle a 1c discharge, but still puts out 8 ah if the rate is low. Perfect for my needs. Small, but it runs an ipod charger for days of continuous use. Even 3 regular c size dry cells would keep a PDA going for a really long time. Or, how about a12v drill battery, typically a NiCad pack. I used to run a halogen headlight on a 24v drill pack.

Back