• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Pre First Plug In Checklist - I miss anything? BBSHD

Nightstone

100 mW
I started my bike build this AM. BBSHD. Just seeing if I missed anything.

1.) Motor is in.
2.) 1 E-brake is connected. Leaving other e-brake plug unplugged. This okay? Shifter is built into brake so only one usable.
3.) Throttle is connected
4.) LCD Connected.
5.) XT-90 soldered to motor
6.) Series Harness made and tested on old batteries.
7.) Will connect Sensor tonight. Plugs directly into motor and not harness.

Anything i'm missing?

Note to anyone trying to convert a New Diamond back Bike. Those cups in the bottom bracket are really really hard to get out. I got one out and went to bike shop for second. They had a real bad time getting it off.

Thanks
NS

Nightstone said:
I started my bike build this AM. BBSHD. Just seeing if I missed anything.

1.) Motor is in.
2.) 1 E-brake is connected. Leaving other e-brake plug unplugged. This okay? Shifter is built into brake so only one usable.
3.) Throttle is connected
4.) LCD Connected.
5.) XT-90 soldered to motor
6.) Series Harness made and tested on old batteries.
7.) Will connect Sensor tonight. Plugs directly into motor and not harness.

Anything i'm missing?

Note to anyone trying to convert a New Diamond back Bike. Those cups in the bottom bracket are really really hard to get out. I got one out and went to bike shop for second. They had a real bad time getting it off.

Thanks
NS

Got a torque arm on that motor? Don't run without torque arms - you risk the motor turning in it's mount and winding up the wires, eventually breaking them off short where it is hard to fix them.

Batteries in a sturdy case or a padded bag, not flopping around too much?

Wires dressed so they aren't under a strain, aren't hanging loose?

1 E-brake is connected. Leaving other e-brake plug unplugged. This okay?
Yep. That's how I run it. Like to have an ebrake, in case of the very occasional throttle failure stuck 100% on. Fortunately when this happened to me, before I got the Ebrake, I could reach the off switch on the motor controller, or I'd still be riding that thang.

Try it up on a stand or propped up so the wheel spins. I don't have a stand so I just tie a rope onto it by the seat and hang it in the garage. Everything working OK? Nothing rubbing? Wires zip-tied tied on and not flapping where you can catch them in your foot? That's how I ruined the throttle wire - see comment above as to the results of this bozo move.

Then try a spin around the block - short enough you could walk home. Many's the time I walked an experimental bike from 2 blocks away before I got everything running right.

Thanks... All went well. Both bikes are built. Have done 2 rides already. The motor is a mid drive so don't think I need torc arms.

Bikes have alot more power than I expected. Hills are no issue lol.

We are keeping speed down under 20mph till we get real used to the bikes. Its so easy to get going fast.

We are real happy with the bikes.

NS

Nightstone said:
Thanks... All went well. Both bikes are built. Have done 2 rides already. The motor is a mid drive so don't think I need torc arms.

NS

I twisted the wires out of a mid-drive motor. It came with a custom bracket that was essentially a torque arm, but I installed it backwards and it came out of place. The motor pushes pretty hard in one direction, gotta have something to push back. Hopefully your mount has some kind of anti-torque feature.

llile said:
Nightstone said:

NS

I twisted the wires out of a mid-drive motor. It came with a custom bracket that was essentially a torque arm, but I installed it backwards and it came out of place. The motor pushes pretty hard in one direction, gotta have something to push back. Hopefully your mount has some kind of anti-torque feature.

Thanks for the reply and warning. I think there is only one way to mount these Bafang Mid Motors. From the pic you can see my BB install. This is a 73mm BB so washers had to be used. Also the cover cap is missing due to lack of room on a 73mm install.

Did my first rough terrain ride late yesterday. Wore me out. Felt like being back on a dirt bike as far as the workout went. The BBSHD is one strong motor. Hills were no issue.

NS

Attachments

• EbikeBB.jpg
    EbikeBB.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 470
Back