Prodeco Phantom X first 40 miles

Thanks for the reviews I'm REALLY hoping to get the Phantom X before they change the battery to the 9ah instead of the 12ah. Can someone please try to answer a question. If I buy from Bikemania will my warranty be valid I don't see anything on the site that says they are an authorized dealer. Also Industrialbicycles sells Prodeco bikes but I don't see anything about authorized dealer. Thanks again I hope to be riding this bike soon.

Hello, I am a representative of Prodeco Technologies. If you have any specific questions on our bikes you can email me at josh@prodecotech.com I will gladly help yu find the answers you are looking for. Also, yes bikemania.biz is one of our authorized dealers and yes your warranty is valid if you purchase through them.

The people at Prodeco have really been terrible to deal with. I ordered two Phantom X's 7/1/11 and was promissed a ship date of 7/15/11. It's almost October and I still don't have the bike. First it was 7/15 then 8/1 then 8/15 then 9/1 then 9/15 and now 10/1. These people are LIARS. Don't believe anything they say. You can not trust them. I've already cancelled one of the bikes that I ordered and am considering cancelling the second. I would rather pay more for a bike from someone who you can count on then these people who have lied over and over and over. One of the few review of the bike had it break shortly after he got it. Some kind of a controller problem. He was sent a replacement part but still had to fix the problem. I'm thoroughly disgusted with these people and wish I hadn't ordered the bike now - three months later and still with no bike. :evil:

I have seen a few reviews from people saying it took awhile to get the bike. I have also seen sellers giving $150-200 in upgrades to help make up for the wait. many say that Prodeco is willing to do whatever it takes to ensure you have a good experience once you have the bike. I think for me considering the price it's going to be worth the wait and I know what I'm getting into. Good luck Hope you get your bike soon

Hey miker100, sorry to hear you're having trouble getting delivery. I ordered the Phantom X also, and I'm also awaiting delivery, since August. Can you share whether you ordered from a dealer, (which one?), or did you deal with Prodeco directly? I am beginning to have some communication and delivery issues also, so your blog caught my attention. However, it's too soon for me to say if I put my trust with the wrong companies. I hope the delays are merely unexpected production related matters & Prodeco and my dealer ultimately deliver my bikes as promised under the terms of our agreement. Time will tell I suppose.

@nyctimd
I ordered two bikes on the same day (7/1/11), one from bikemania and one from champion electric. I guess I thought with two companies working on my order I'd at least get one bike and have a chance to see which one would deliver fastest. Both offered the same price $1,099 with free shipping. bikemania charged my cc back in July. At the time no big deal since the bike was "on the way". Two months later I started to wonder what would happen if I had a problem with my bike and had to dispute the charge or something. I think you only have so long from the date of the charge to dispute something. Anyway, I just wasn't happy with the ever extending shipping date and cancelled this one. The one from champion is still on order. I've communicated with bikemania, champion and prodeco directly. Most recently champion told me the bike would ship 9/19. I called champion on 9/20 to verify it had shipped and they told me sometime that week. Wrong again. Today is 9/28 and it has not shipped and have no idea when it will. At this point I don't know if I'd be satisfied if they gave me the bike for free. Save yourself a lot of frustration and buy a different bike.

You did the correct thing in cancelling the order with bikemania since they should not have charged your credit account until the bike was shipped and you were provided with a tracking number. IMO.
My order is through Champion Electric Bicycles also. This is my first order through them, and although I am still waiting, I believe that reason for the wait is beyond their control. I did hear from Champion today & I was given information that seemed reasonable, and consistent with information I received from Prodeco's last week. I was told at the time I placed my order, that it could be a long wait, so they were certainly honest about the circumstances of the sale at that juncture. I don't think any dealer at this point can satisfy 100% of their orders with the next batch of Phantom X's from Prodeco, since there will only be about 30 going out. However, I do believe Champion and Prodeco's representatives are being straight with me when they say that the orders will be filled eventually. It's hard to judge reputability in an internet sale and through e-mails and phone calls, but I think I'm dealing with honest folks who are trying to satisfy customers. The monkey wrench seem to be late parts shipments and design changes that are slowing Prodeco's ability to get the work out the door. Ultimately, I think we will be satisfied customers, - if we can wait.

@nyctimd
Champion actually charged my card back on 8/18 on one of the many times they told me the bike was shipping any day. It's 9/29 and still nothing has shipped. I agree with you the problem lies with Prodeco and I understand an occasional snafu. Every company has them, especially a start-up if you can still consider Prodeco a start-up. It's not easy to understand pushing the date back 5 or 6 times - unless they are so messed up that it's just their normal which really looks bad. I was told they were out at a bike show in Vegas drumming up more business when they can't even fill the orders they have. Why would any company want to encourage people to buy from them when they know they can't satisfy the orders in a timely fashion. Just creates more bad will with their customers. They need to get the ship in order FIRST, then look for more business. Anyway, someone said the distributors and/or Prodeco are including free accessories to help make up for all the poor customer service so I'll let you know what shows up. Better be good to make up for all this bs.

You made good points. No doubt about it, - Prodeco is slow on the switch when it comes to delivery on orders, and their dealers are lightning fast to take them. That's the disconnect that gives rise to frustrated customers and bad "word of mouth" publicity for those business persons involved. From my perspective, a company making products such as these, should put the lion's share of their resources toward consistent productivity that enables it to keep up with demand. But it seems that Prodeco's upper management puts too much effort into product development, sales, and marketing, relative to their ability to timely service customers who place orders, - at least as far as the Phantom X is concerned. Prodeco is a young company, but it wasn't born yesterday either.

All that being said, it certainly seems odd, that with so many customers backordered for the Phantom X, that Prodeco would choose the present time to initiate a price increase and reduce the battery capacity on future orders of the Phantom X (the standard 12 ah battery will be reduced to 9 ah's). It kind of makes me feel that Prodeco is so interested in company growth, that current orders for the Phantom X are not as important to Prodeco as they should be. One would think Prodeco would be more attentive to development of customer loyalty as a way to increase future sales and higher prices.

Let's face it though, until now, the Phantom X seemed to be a good product for the money relative to other options available to us, whether we bought stock built or DIY. But a guy can only take so much before he walks. I hope when all is said and done, I will still have good things to say about Prodeco, my dealer, and the product, notwithstanding the long wait we have had to endure in order to patronize these companies. Let's see how it all turns out. I'm trying to remain positive.

Hey miker100, - New development. I pulled the plug on the Phantom X purchase due to the backlog and other purchase related issues with Champion Electric Bicycles and Prodeco in general. Hang in there, if you can, & good luck with the Phantom X if you get it. I will probably upgrade our current bikes when it gets too cold to ride here in NY. Nothing wrong with a winter project, anyway.

To our dissatisfied & inconvenienced customers,

I am a representative of Prodeco Technologies. I would like the opportunity to explain our predicament to customers who were disappointed with the production delay and to those currently on the 2011 Phantom X waiting list. We are doing everything in our power to produce these bikes as quickly as we can while at the same time trying to satisfy customers to the best of our abilities. Our scope of control is very limited which is why production delays have gone on so long without resolution. For one, we constantly deal with international shipping companies and US customs over the delays of our components being supplied in a timely fashion. Many of these people (freight companies and US customs) simply do not care that we are trying to supply American consumers with a high quality product and rock bottom prices in an expedited manner. Their interests lie elsewhere and we are powerless to influence them otherwise. As for being charged prior to receiving the product, it is regretful that we do not have the ability to dictate how our dealers operate their business practices in this manner because we realize this is creating a great point of tension for consumers. We do not charge the dealers for the product until they receive the tracking information and we would like to expect them to behave in a similar manner however we do not have control over them if they do not comply with this procedure. Our assembly workers are building bikes as quickly as they can. The Phantom X is just 1 of our products and is the only bike from 2011 to experience this dramatic production delay (again, for reasons beyond our control). The redesign of the battery system did hold up production for a while and we had issues with other components which were to be supplied from overseas. We always strive to leave every customer satisfied and if you would like to speak with us on this issue please contact Steven Bukowi, one of our sales & customer service technicians at 800.943.6190.

If you are currently on the waiting list, Steve can help you get the answers you seek. If you cancelled your order and just want to speak with us in regards to your cancellation, Steve can help you. If for any reason you have doubts as to the reliability of our reputation, please contact us either by phone or email. 800.943.6190 is our office number and our emails are info@prodecotech.com or service@prodecotech.com

We will be happy to help answer your questions and welcome your constructive criticism to enhance our business practices.

@Levy

Today is 10/19. Still no shipment but I have been told it will be soon. I've been told that before soooo many times that I have very little faith. My spirit is broken. I was initially promissed shipment in mid-July. Guess I'll get it just in time to put it away for winter. Yea ! :x

Prodeco needs to do something to make up for the terrible experience they have given customers who put their faith in the company and were massively let down. When I was initially told my two new bikes were coming in mid-July I sold the two road bikes I had ( mine and my wife's ) in anticipation. We have always done a lot of biking together. We've spent a whole summer with no bikes due to Prodeco's broken promisses. Missed out on a lot.

My wife made me cancel her order ( bikemania ) but I kept mine ( champion )

Once I receive the bike ( if I ever do ) I'll report back on what Prodeco has done to make up for this and I'll report about the bike.

I'm still hoping prodeco will do the right thing and make this right for their customers.

@miker100

I've been following these threads for a while and this is the reason I haven't ordered one of these bikes yet. I still plan to pick one up next spring so I am keeping my fingers crossed that Prodeco can catch up with their inventory over the winter time. As far as your order goes, if I were you I would accept nothing less than the upgraded Phantom X2 model with the slightly higher capacity battery for having to wait and lose out on an entire couple seasons of biking. Maybe have them throw in a nice bike light or something also. Back orders are one thing and can be understood but broken promises over and over again to me are completely unacceptable.

Best of luck and definitely post if/when you get the bike and perhaps your own little quick review.

@emerald_phoenix

I will be getting the Phantom X2 which is basically equal to the original Phantom X - same motor and the same 12 amp battery. I don't think of it as an upgrade but with all the new models it's the same bike with a different name.

They also have the 18amp model that has greater distance for the same price but with a smaller motor. I could get this one and I understand they are shipping these now but I live in Western PA, which is full of hills, and I am a solid 200 lbs so I don't know that the 250 watt motor on the Phantom 18 would work for me.

Accessories, a quick charger, a discount or some other acknowledgement of the pain they've inflicted on their customers is in order but lets see how they handle it. As I said, I'll be sure to let you know, good or bad.

The original had triple walled rims the the new Phantom and the X2 have double walled rims but I'm not sure how big of a deal that is.

FYI
I'm coming up on 1,000 miles on my first gen Phantom X. So far no breakdown issues...not even a flat tire! Knock on wood, knock on wood again.

I'm coming up on 5 months after the promissed ship date on my Phantom X and still no bike. Latest promise was absolutely will ship by 10/17. Today is 10/28 and nothing. Never seen such terrible customer service. Every two weeks they tell me it will be two more weeks.

Oct 31st - that was the last promised ship date for this bike.

This company cannot produce the good they advertise. Its a wonder they remain in business.

If you are dissatisfied with your dealer, take your complaints to the dealer,

We are the manufacturer, not the distributor. If you have been contacting our dealers and they promised you a ship date that is not our promise. For accurate information, please contact Steve Bukowi at our office: 800-943-6190

Below is a copy of an email from our company president in regards to the Phantom X 2011:

"In regards to the conversation this morning about the few dealers requesting specifics on order processing. It is and always has been the same for the 2011 model line-up and never changed.

For 2011 bikes, the majority were “built to order” with about a 3-4 day back log. As far as the discussion in regards to the Phantom X, we originally sold out fast and they were not going to be available until the 2012 model. The reason we were going to wait until the 2012 was due to a 180 day process from component procurement to finished product. About 5 months ago we decided on a limited run of Phantom X while the 2012 design was being finalized due to such a high request from dealers. The Phantom X lot being built now is the limited run we started 5 months ago. There was a last component delay with the battery which caused it to run to almost 6 months.

The issue this morning we discussed is many dealers forget we build to order and do not bring in containers of pre-built bikes like every other so called manufacturer does. Many ebikes in the industry are the same with different labels attached and why the high prices. 3 of the top 10 USA manufacturers all buy from the same Chinese manufacturer but have different names on the bikes yet they are the identical bikes. The only company I know of who is similar to us is Optiike and they have a 1 year waiting list on some of their models but start at $5000 and up.

Good news is for 2012, we will be stocking 3250 bikes minimum worth of components and will have about 500 bikes built ahead at any given point. That is why we added another facility in the last month. 2012 orders will be handled differently, whereas we will sell what is built with the ability to also take orders according to a forecasted build schedule. The schedule will inform of when the next build is for a specific model. We will also make available inventory on hand per model.

That being said, I will explain the procedure now which again, has been the same for all 2011 bikes. A bike is ordered, if it is a standard model and on hand, it can ship within 48 hours. If it is a special order, the procedure is as follows: 1) dealer requests a specific bike, 2) order is approved, 3) invoice is created and clear payment is required, 4) order gets place in queue for next available build slot, 5) bike is built, 6) bike is tested, 7) bike gets packaged and shipped. Currently, the time frame can be from 3 days to 8 days when it is a special build. If dealer requests faster times for a special build they like to sell, I suggest they pre-build 4 or 5 pieces ahead of time and we can store them but full payment is required in advance.

In regards to current orders on the Phantom X, it seems again the Phantom has been oversold by 2 or 3 times according to logged orders with the various reps. Due to this, the Phantom X orders will only be sold as special orders. I explained this last week when I stated we could start processing the orders. Once we did start accepting orders for the Phantoms, it was obvious almost 50% of them were being cancelled due to customers having placed orders with multiple dealers, customers willing to wait for the 2012 models or even customers were still on the list who previously ordered a different model but never removed from the list. Since the Phantom orders are being processed the same as any special order bike, it must follow the same procedure which I believe is not too confusing. The order is placed, payment must clear, it gets place in queue and it ships after that. The turnaround is about 5-7 days. This is the only way I am accepting these orders. There have been many headaches with running another lot of the 2011 model but it is has finally happened. Most dealers and consumers do not realize the process in building one of the models and how long it takes.

Please explain this clearly to your dealers and customers. It is simple, we take orders, we build the bikes and then we ship and there is a turnaround time for this.

Once I say we can start taking an order on a model and accept payment, you can be assured within a few weeks that model will ship. If this is not acceptable, then that is the buyers choice as whether they want it or not. As far as Phantoms, the first ones are shipping and they were for customers who ordered last week once we started accepting orders. That is self-explanatory and if someone was to order today, the window of time is about 6 days. Every day next week worth of production is basically spoken for and I rarely will allow someone to grab a spot once we already sold it. If you have an emergency order, I may be willing to move it up the queue faster but there must be a good story behind it. Let me know if that is the case.

Try your best to explain to your customers there are rules and procedures here and we do not bend them, period. Next month we will be requiring all dealers to sign new dealer agreements for 2012 and the agreement will be a little more strict on the procedures and rules of being a dealer for us. This past year we should have detailed better of how we expect dealers to perform and we will do that with the new agreement. It is in everyone’s best interest and to create a level playing field. If a dealer does not agree with it, there is not much we can do other than not have them offer our bikes. "

So I got a notice on 11/2 that my Phantom x bike had shipped - finally ( ordered it in late June ). On the way to me it would seem. Tried to track the UPS tracking number that was provided but nothing. I figured the system just needed to be updated. Tracked it the next day - nothing. The next and the next - still nothing. A week past with no shipping activity and I sent a note requesting an explaination. Of course they had already billed me. I asked them to credit me and rebill when the product ships. They told me they will be shipping any time now. Only 5 months after they first told me it was going to ship. And yes I have been talking directly to Prodeco since mid-August in addition to working with Champion, the company who sold me the bike. This thing better be a f-ing wonder bike for all the trouble it is to get one.

Congrats I've been waiting for your update Mike and I'm glad it's on the way. I hope it's everything we expected it to be. 5 month wait is harsh and just in time for winter. Please continue with your updates and reviews.

Lots of folks on this forum are monitoring your progress. You are sort of a test case for others thinking of buying a Phantom for themselves. Please keep us up to date on developments and your satisfaction with the Phantom X when you actually receive it, and try it out.

Need some advice. I've just found this product and would love to buy one, buy the posts are putting me off. I live on West coast of Florida and would like to see one in person and try it out. I'm sure I'd like it, but what about those delivery problems you all seem to have. With that said, can anyone recommend another e bike company that you have had good luck with in the past or should I go on the list of dissatisfied customers? :?:

Hey Everyone,

My name is Brian and I am one of the managers here at Champion Bicycles. Just wanted to take a moment to apologize to all of our customers who have been patiently awaiting delivery of the 2011 Phantom X. We know how frustrating it has been for you to have waited so long for this bike and we want to thank you for being so patient during these past several months. Believe me, we would have loved to have had these bikes shipped out a long time ago, but unfortunately we had no say on the production date or when these bikes were going to start shipping out. We received all of our expected ship date information directly from Prodeco and have tried to keep our customers well informed along the way as to what the latest developments were.

The good news is at this point most of the 2011 Phantom X backorders have now shipped or are about to be shipped and we expect no additional delays going forward. The 2012 models are right around the corner and we are very excited to continue to offer these high quality e-bikes. To our customers who simply could not wait anymore and have cancelled their 2011 Phantom X order, just know that if you do decide to eventually go forward with a 2012 model purchase, we will do our absolute best to take care of you.

We hope all of our customers who have finally received their Phantom X are enjoying them and if anyone has any questions about availability or anything else regarding the Phantom X, Phantom X2, or any other model, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

All the best,

Brian W.
ChampionElectricBicycles.com

Just got my Phantom that I ordered in May. I was considering cancelling after I looked through the 2012 specs, but now I am very glad I didn't. I spoke directly with the factory, they identified mine as product #34. The tech I spoke with explained that it was so late in the 2011 product year that mine and many of the final 2011 units had most of the 2012 upgrades, new front fork, larger disc, etc. I knew mine still had the long 12 amp/hr battery, but wanted the additional bike rack area for cargo and you can't carry stuff in the back with the new turtle shell like battery. $1099 delivered!

Back