• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Okay, thanks!

Tom L said:
Paul is on his way to the USA at the moment so expect a day or two delay for him to reply.
i can confirm that paul is abroad at the moment, but still he is replying to my mails and taking care of his products and customers. it seems my bms is broken but we are sorting it out the moment. i know that such things can happen and i wish i wouldn't have to deal with it, but as long as i can fix it i'm happy :)

In the programming tool on the basic tab you have the second column Limit spd(%).
Is it meant to limit the speed in that particular PAS-setting to a % of the topspeed set in the display?

eg: My topspeed in the display is set at 40 km/h.
In the programming tool in PAS1 i set the limit Current to 100 and set limit SPD(%) at 50. Does this mean that i have full power assist and my topspeed will be topped at 20km/h?

thanks in advance

Yes that is exactly it.

You get a much better ride if you disable the speed limit (set all to 100%) and stagger the current limit. Try it.

If you do not want to make your own cable, you can buy a ready made - but expensive - one on AliExpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8fun-bafang-center-motor-middle-drive-motor-kit-reprogram-cable/1998539445.html

Paul

Postby teslanv » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 am

Instructions:

Download link here:

http://1drv.ms/1jvD2Y3

Change file format (rename file) from controllerst.bjh to controllerst.zip

Extract Zip files and install.

Is this still the latest version of the software and clear for use with those of us with the new 9 FET controllers?

Tom L said:
Yes that is exactly it.

You get a much better ride if you disable the speed limit (set all to 100%) and stagger the current limit. Try it.

Thanks for the confirmation.
my idea is that i have two or three different topspeeds.
So i am going to try something like:

with maximum speed 50 km/h
PASlevel: current limit % - speed limit %
PAS1: 30% - 50%
PAS2: 55% - 50%
PAS3: 75% - 50%
PAS4: 100% - 50%
PAS5: 30% - 70%
PAS6: 55% - 70%
PAS7: 75% - 70%
PAS8: 100%- 70%
PAS9: 1% - 100% (throttle only)

In my experience the BBS02 in combination with a Nuvinci 360 (48t - 17t) doesn't drive smoothly under 30% current. I will all the time skip the current levels below 30%. With this setup i would have three different topspeed levels. In the city i would drive with a maximum speed of 25km/h. Which is sufficient in most cases. Out of the city i would drive with a maximum of 35km/h which is the maximum that i can keep up combined with PAS clownpedalling :D The last level is Without PAS, throttle only, with a maximum speed of 50 km/h, because i can't keep up with PAS, i don't even try too, and in that way i have throttle only level to.

Quick question:

If I set up 9 different PAS levels, and then later select, say, 3 PAS levels from the C961 settings, does it just use the 1st three PAS levels? If not, what which PAS levels does it use?

I guess I'm asking how does the C961 settings of number of PAS levels interact with the PAS levels programmed?

TIA

dbIsMe said:
Quick question:

If I set up 9 different PAS levels, and then later select, say, 3 PAS levels from the C961 settings, does it just use the 1st three PAS levels? If not, what which PAS levels does it use?

I guess I'm asking how does the C961 settings of number of PAS levels interact with the PAS levels programmed?

TIA

The PAS level setting just changes how many settings you get from minimum to maximum. If you set it to 3 when 3 is max, them you get the same performance as 9 when 9 is max.

tahustvedt said:
dbIsMe said:
Quick question:

TIA

The PAS level setting just changes how many settings you get from minimum to maximum. If you set it to 3 when 3 is max, them you get the same performance as 9 when 9 is max.
i guess this was not the answer to the question :) i can answer that, as i just had a little try&error to find out myself. if you choose 3 settings on your display then they even out over the 10 assist-settings in the software. so display-PAS0 will be assist-setting #0. and PAS3 will be setting #9. PAS1 and PAS2 will be anything in between. i can't tell you which ones (for 3 display settings) as i chose 5 pas settings:

Code:
PAS0 (display) = Assist0 (software)
1=2
2=4
3=6
4=8
5=9

hope that helps.

Code:
1=2
2=4
3=6
4=8
5=9

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was after. How did you work out which PAS (display) matched with which Assist (software/controller)?

Mmmm, I guess you could program them all to one low value except for one PAS level in software and then run through each PAS level on the display and see if you scored a 'hit'...

Cheers

dbIsMe said:
...How did you work out which PAS (display) matched with which Assist (software/controller)?
simple try&error. i programmed only ONE assist level at a time and tested all pas levels on the display. if the wheel was moving i got a valid correlation.

izeman said:
tahustvedt said:
dbIsMe said:
Quick question:

TIA

i guess this was not the answer to the question :) i can answer that, as i just had a little try&error to find out myself. if you choose 3 settings on your display then they even out over the 10 assist-settings in the software. so display-PAS0 will be assist-setting #0. and PAS3 will be setting #9. PAS1 and PAS2 will be anything in between. i can't tell you which ones (for 3 display settings) as i chose 5 pas settings:

Code:
1=2
2=4
3=6
4=8
5=9

hope that helps.

That's not how it works on mine.

I have mine programmed with the following:-

PASlevel: current limit % - speed limit %
PAS0: 0% - 100%
PAS1: 10% - 100%
PAS2: 25% - 100%
PAS3: 50% - 100%
PAS4: 75% - 100%
PAS5: 100% - 100%
PAS6: 70% - 70%
PAS7: 80%- 80%
PAS8: 90%- 90%
PAS9: 100% - 100%

In the display I have 5 pas levels selected and I get the first 5 pas levels.

amigafan2003 said:
...In the display I have 5 pas levels selected and I get the first 5 pas levels.
are you sure that you really select the first 5 levels, and not a spread over all 10 settings? i found that it's a bit hard to tell from pas support alone if you got 50% or 70% support.
you may enter ZERO for all levels PAS5-PAS9 and see if it still works. from my side i can 100% guarantee that my display does not use the first 5 settings.

I have the following configuration set:

PAS0: 0% - 100%
PAS1: 20% - 100%
PAS2: 30% - 100%
PAS3: 40% - 100%
PAS4: 50% - 100%
PAS5: 60% - 100%
PAS6: 70% - 100%
PAS7: 80% - 100%
PAS8: 90% - 100%
PAS9: 100% - 100%

I only have 5 levels selected on the display and I get a range of PAS power levels from 0 to 100%. Similarly if I only select 3 PAS levels on the display I still get 0 to 100% power selection. It must recalculate the power steps based on the number of PAS levels selected at the display setting.

I've been dying to know what my default settings were, so when my 93-cent TTL converter arrived from eBay, I decided to improvise like kepler did, using the individual leads from RC servo extension cables as jumpers: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780&start=50#p885804

jumpers.jpg

I labeled the jumpers to minimize my chances of plugging the leads in wrong and frying everything.

labeled leads2.jpg

For any other electronics dummies out there like me, this post by mushymelon was extremely helpful for understanding what to connect to what, as well as the power-up procedure: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780&start=25#p884664

It was interesting to see what my stock PAS settings were. All this time I've been patting myself on the back whenever I used lower levels, but now I realize that PAS 1 was set a lot higher than I thought it was. Talk about bursting my bubble. LOL.

pas settings.jpg

Mine is a 750W version with the 9fet controller. Not surprisingly, all of my stock settings were identical to the ones kepler posted: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780&start=425#p942716

I tweaked a few settings and went on a few test rides, and then finally I just tried copying all of kepler's custom settings (except I went 20A instead of 18 on Limited Current), and I LOVE IT! I especially like having full throttle option available at lower PAS levels. That was always a pain to have to crank up PAS to get full throttle.

QUESTION: So am I understanding correctly that, with the newer BBS02's and C961 displays, and with the current software, UNLIMITED SPEED IS NOT AN OPTION? If so, then I am quite disappointed. Removing all speed restrictions was one of the main reasons I wanted to tweak the programming. 40km/h is the highest I can set the controller to, unless I set it to pull from the display, which maxes out at 50km. Am I missing something?

Somebodystopme!! said:
....when trying to set the amperage to anything higher than 20amp I get the error "Amperage is out of range".....
I couldn't see that anyone had ever responded to this, so I thought I'd mention that I had the same error, but resolved it.

limited.current.out.of.range.jpg

I got the same error message briefly anytime I would change ANY setting on the first tab, even when I left the stock 25A setting alone and changed any other setting. The result was I couldn't change any value on the first tab, even though I was able to write to both tab 2 and tab 3. I also noticed that flash info wasn't displaying. So I powered down, disconnected the serial adapter, reconnected, and powered up again -- flash info was showing properly this time and I was able to change any of the values in tab 1, including Limited Current.

Again, major kudos to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I never in a million years would have known how to even begin to try to program this. :)

teslanv said:
....Max speed successfully delimited. My unit appears to top out around 37.8 MPH....

Kepler said:
....Mine goes to 50kph on PAS but it unlimited on throttle....Edit: On the Throttle Handle page, change your "speed limited" from "set by display" to "40km/h". That should give you unlimited speed on throttle....

Judging by the dates of these posts, it looks like unlimited speed has only been achieved on the older units. Mine was built on July 28. Anyone successfully achieved unlimited speed on any of the new 9fet controllers?

I have a unit from July 1st 2014 and are able to do unlimited speed with throttle when PAS stop at 50 kpm.

bbike said:
I have a unit from July 1st 2014 and are able to do unlimited speed with throttle when PAS stop at 50 kpm.
What settings are you using?

darth_elevator said:
bbike said:
What settings are you using?

This configuration is what worked for me. I've done some other adjustments after this but I know the unlimited speed was working with the configuration here:

Attachments

• Basic.png
    Basic.png
    16 KB · Views: 3,398
  • Pedal.png
    Pedal.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 3,398
  • Throttle.png
    Throttle.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 3,398
Thanks for posting your settings. I'll give those a shot.

For effective unlimited speed, change your wheel size to make mp/h show as km/h.

I.e. if you have a 26 inch wheel, set it as 16 inch wheel in the display (i.e. 26/1.61 = 16 - 1.61 is also roughly the same ratio as km to miles, as in 26km is 16miles). After making this change, then 25km/h on the display will in actual fact be 25mph in reality. No BBS unit is capable of 50mph, so it's effectively now unlimited (or more accurately, speed limited by max current).

Back