Project idea seeking input: Burning Man art/sound e-bike

mrgarci1

100 W
Howdy fellas, it's been quite a while since i've been around this forum, largely due to the fact that I got my ebike up and running with enough stability that I haven't had to think about it in maybe a year - it just works, every time. God, I love it. But I digress.

I had the incredibly inspirational experience of going to Burning Man this year, and I'm dedicated to doing it big next year - I want to build an electrically powered bicycle-based vehicle capable of carrying several large speakers, a standing passenger (dj/"bartender"), some coolers, and (possibly, and I know this may seem hypocritical) a generator capable of powering the sound gear and recharging the batteries, limiting the need to return to camp. Speed is not an issue, but torque obv will be - speed limit on the playa is 5 mph, but we're talking maybe 1000 pounds of cargo?

Possible form factors I've considered are a surrey bike, a heavily modified/specially constructed tricycle, a sidecar of some sort, two bicycles welded side-by-side with a platform in the middle, or maybe a simple trailer.

My limitations:
- I don't have welding experience or equipment - could probably locate someone to help with this
- Budget is of course always a factor - I don't have a set budget for this project, but I'm thinking I'd like to keep it under a couple grand if at all possible (already have the sound gear). where that money will come from is still up in the air
- Transporting it from Phoenix to the Burn has to be considered - for this reason, it would be advantageous to have some way to disassemble/pack the thing into a small space and reassemble it on-site

At the moment i'm thinking a phatty trailer would be the simplest option- dual axle, super wide. Front wheel hub motor, highest torque I can get on a budget, laced into the smallest wheel possible. Maybe a modified Pedi-cab?

So basically I'm just asking for your creativity - if you wanted to move a passenger, two big top speakers and a big-ass subwoofer, a full cooler, and (maybe) a generator around at slow speeds, how would you do it? Really looking forward to your input :)

a friend used a sun trike with cyclone motor on 24V SLA as the carriage for a big woolly worm with lights and did some kinda spouting thing on the front. i may be able to find a picture for you. he went to europe this year for their festivals and did not go to BM this year.

they do things different over there too. especially different dope, i find the synthetic stuff to be spooky, i am herbal only so i could relate.

You could start a bit smaller this year, and motorize a couch, one of the projects I've always wanted to do for the tailgate at the balloon fiesta.

Caster front wheels, two powerfull rear hubs on bike frames for rear wheels. Two throttles, one powering each wheel would give you skid steering by braking one wheel and powering the other. Some kind of shelf built onto the back of the couch, possibly with more big pnumatic casters that act as a anti wheelie bar carries battery and generator.

Goes without saying that propane burners also fit back there on the battery shelf. :twisted: Can't go to burning man with at least one fire thrower. Mine blows fire rings if the wind is light.

The main idea of the project is to be able to bring the party on the road with us - my partner on this one is also my dj partner and we'd like to be able to stop our machine and bump tunes and pass out brews, have a little mobile party whereever we're at.

Speaking of burners, what kind do you use? Its not a travordial vortex generator is it? I've been kinda looking at hot-air balloon ones, but they seem pricey, if perfect for this type of application.

I have much to learn, this burning man thing totally changed my life in a lot of ways, many new directions to explore.

And it's good to hear from both of you! been too long :D

I haven't been to burning man, but from the pics I think I'd want something tall. As far as driving it slow, wheelchair motors and their gearboxes work great for slow. For the bass, do a big bass horn so you don't need much power. Then you could DIY some solar panels and a few big lead acid batteries down very low, which will also help with stability. The solar panels will do double duty as shade makers too. I'd go to a pretty big effort and cost to avoid the genny, and some pro type drivers and tweeters with a bass horn will put out a lot of sound with just small cheap but very clean and efficient digital amps.

BTW, welcome back and congrats on a year of trouble free ebiking. Vehicles that just work every time you want them to is the real beauty of electrics, so good job building yours right.

Whatever you come up with, be sure to share it here.

John

Being a balloonist, I had a few old burners in the garage. They only cost me about a thou each :lol: :roll: . But all it takes is a ball valve, hooked to some 3/8 or 1/4 pipe to make the burner. Then some good stout hose to connect to the tank, which must be one that feeds liquid. Again got those around too, that only cost about a thou. :roll: The tricky part is a pilot that stays lit, using a plumbing torch. Some kind of perforated can arrangement on the end helps with that. The basic task is to squirt liquid propane in a stream, and then light it by passing the stream next to a lit pilot light. A balloon burner stock will squirt liquid propane about 20 feet making a bright yellow flame, vs the blue flame normaly used in flight. But take off the coils, and replace em with a one inch piece of 3/8 pipe, and now the thing shoots flame at least 50 feet. Far enough to light a balloon top on fire. But great for a parade. You can easily go through 20 gallons of propane in a few minuites. You have to stop when your shoes start to smoke. :twisted:

But to get past the BM vehicle inspection you might need it to look better, like a balloon burner, tank and hose, all in DOT condition with recent cert.

Back