Prolific Drivers for Controller Programming Cable

teklektik

100 MW
A new driver installer was recently released for the Prolific PL2303 chip used in Infineon (Xie Chang) controller programming cable used by Lyen and EM3EV. There were earlier versions of this package, but this one is a fresh release. The package has drivers for these OSes:

• Driver Installer & Build date: 1.11.0 (2015-6-17)
    • Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003 (32 & 64-bit)
    • Windows 10 (32 & 64-bit)
    • Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 (32 & 64-bit)
    • Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, Server 2012, Server 2012R2 (64-bit)
  1. Here is a link to the Prolific site where you can download the installer package. This has PDF instructions and pretty much automates the process completely.

ProlificDownload.png
  2. Here is a link on how to re-assign COM ports so you can get one in the required range of 1-5 for the programmer.

DevMgr.png
    I had a lot of ports that were claimed to be in use - probably from previous cable plug-ins (my machine runs for weeks at a time) but weren't visible in Device Manager, so I just chose one of those 'in use but not listed' ports and answered pop-ups to force it through and all went well.

NewCom.png
    There's also a comment further down that linked page that instructs how to clear old COM ports. This wasn't useful in my case, but at least it was harmless...
Anyhow - I downloaded the Prolific package from (1) above, unloaded my old Lyen drivers that had been manually installed (probably unnecessary), and followed the instructions in the zip package. All went quick and there is a little utility to check if the cable actually appears on the port the device manager claims.

I used the instructions in (2) above to reassign the COM port into the 1-5 range required by the programming utility, unplugged/re-plugged the cable, and the little Prolific utility found the cable on the proper port.

• ChipCheck.png
The Lyen Mk2 downloader ran w/o a hitch and shot up one of his 12FET controllers normally.

It's nice to have real Win7 drivers installed automagically instead of using the old XP/Vista versions and messing with manual registration.

Only tested on Win7/32, but have at it... :D

Thanks a bunch teklektik for the information.
I followed the instruction and got the PL2303 driver installed, and I am able to change the COM port as well.

The problem I am having, is installing the actual program - Lyen_MK2_Controller_Program. I unzipped it.
Lyen.jpg

I have 64 bit, I click on Install64.bat and get this
error1.jpg

Similarly I get error on. Lyen_MK2_V2.01.exe

Making progress for sure. Just another hurdle.
Do I need to power the controller with my batteries?

Create a directory on your desktop or wherever and extract all the files there.

The bat files install the old drivers - which will be fine but strictly speaking if you installed new drivers from the Prolific site above, things should be good to go without messing with the .bat files. You should only need to run the unpacked exe file from desktop or any directory - it's actually the controller programming app not an installer for it.

But - if you want to install the old drivers - run the appropriate bat file from wherever it unpacked. From the error you got, it looks like the bat ran okay but couldn't find the four driver files which it wanted in the local directory.
--
Nope - controller should not be powered. You should also not use any USB extender cable and it may even be helpful to unplug the throttle if your connection is still a little sketchy.

There are posts on doing the flash, but basically, when your parameters are set to go, click 'Start Transmit', press-hold the cable button until finished (just a few seconds), then click 'Stop Transmit'.

OK I do not know. I unzipped the controller program to desktop. Everytime I plug in my cable to a different USB port on computer, it automatically changes the port in Device Manager - Prolific USB-to-serial comm port (com1) - right click properties - port settings - advanced. The com ports all check out.

Its the controller program I cant get to work.

Another thing is my USB cable, has a button on it.

Yes you are correct, I read that in my email from Lyen.
Im still stumped. Stalled for now. Maybe I will write Lyen another email detailing where I am at, what I've done and the error codes that pop up.

markz said:
Its the controller program I cant get to work.

Another thing is my USB cable, has a button on it.

Well - you didn't really tell us what error you get when you try to run the MkII app, so guessing that it's compatibility:

Please see this link about compatibility mode for Win7/Vista.
Please see this link about compatibility mode for Win8.

Bring up Control Panel and click on 'Control Panel' to the left in the Address Bar to make your screen match the instructions in those links above (otherwise nothing seems to line up...)
ControlPanel-Programs.png
That should do it.

See the post above re: 'Start Transmit' button and cable button.

Boom Shackalah
Thanks for the help!

I first tried what teklektik posted for compatability mode. To be honest, none of the steps matched, I have nothing just named Programs, just Programs and features which did not have compatability mode. I googled it, Microsoft website was a mismatch too.

Anyway......

Got it working. Only took 5+ hours!

Doing the PL-2303 thing was easy.
Lyens program was what I was having troubles with. When I unzip it, I would just click away, bat files, exe, OCN. Errors popped up left right and center.

Key thing here, atleast for me. Run as Administrator (even though this is my home/office computer, I still need to do that, run as admin)

Solution
----------
Right click | Lyen_MK2_V2.01.exe |
click | Run as Administrator |
Window pops up for the Controller.
Done!

LOL Now I just have to find out what I put in all the blank spaces.
blank spaces.jpg

markz said:
To be honest, none of the steps matched, I have nothing just named Programs, just Programs and features which did not have compatability mode. I googled it, Microsoft website was a mismatch too.
Ya - if you click on "Control Panel" to the left in the address bar at the top of the window that stuff matches up with the instructions....
I didn't need compatibility mode myself, but it was unclear what you were running on - so the troubleshooter can't hurt...

markz said:
Got it working. Only took 5+ hours!
Key thing here, atleast for me. Run as Administrator
Excellent news! :D

Email Lyen for a default template ASV file.

He sent me in his instructions a bunch of .asv files.
I will copy them here, only really one or two .asv files in the 184110
asv files.jpg
They are easy to load. I think I used 184110_Profile.asv to load in and transmit to controller. I hope this looks kinda close for Lyen 18fet 72V 65A with MXUS 3000w v2. I doubt it is.

But his instructions state - Load the profiles by clicking OpenFile for your controller (For example, 6 FET.asv, 12 FET.asv, 18 FET.asv, 24 FET.asv, etc.). It will then display the default value.

Which I cant find any of those *.asv files.
Just the ones I posted above.

I cant do diddly squat until I buy batteries.
I will continue to play around and get comfortable with the parameters of this program.

Thanks again.

As the title says, this thread is actually about the new Prolific driver package and AFAIK has not been discussed on ES at all.

The driver situation - particularly because of counterfeit drivers - has been an ongoing issue for years and this looks like a solid vendor-supplied solution regardless of which programming software is used with a Prolific-based cable. Should be good with XPD as well where drivers are not supplied.

The rest of this is Lyen stuff is OT and belongs back in the other thread - but markz was having a bad day with it so it only took a few posts to get that squared away.

This should go back on topic with driver info and future release updates.

Prolific does not provide Win 8/10 support for certain end-of-life chips as noted in this Table from the Prolific driver package in the OP:

• SupportedChips.png

There is some discussion of this in the XPD thread.
See a summary post by NeilP here that addresses workarounds.

Back