Q76R 18650 Battery BMS / Battery Construction Discussion

Lurkin

100 kW
I'm in the process of designing mine at the moment, which ideally will be a modular pack to fit in a Q76R frame.
This will be the first battery I have built from scratch and progress is slow. I going to try and detail how I've gone about this in this thread, for positive criticism from others and also to show people who haven't done this before, hopefully where to correctly start and go about it.

I've decided to use 18650s, 3500mah cells in 48v configuration (or higher if they come out by the time I get round to fully deciding on design and quantity) in similar fashion to Offroader. It seems this would be 13S, based on 48/3.7v = 12.97v nominal and a max of 54.6v (4.2v x 13 = 54.6v). I'm assuming this is the correct SP configuration as 12S would mean 44.4v nominal and only 50.4v max. Thus the battery is going to be at 48v less of the time than 13S.

Power: max 1300w
V: 48v
I: 27.08333a

AH:I x T(Hrs)
I: 27.08333a
T: 1.5
Ah: 41Ah

Gross up to only use 80%
Ahg:Ah/0.8
Ah:41Ah
Ahg:51Ah

Cell capacity:3.5Ah
Total cells required in parallel: 15P

Cells in Series:
V: 48v
Nominal V:3.7v
Cells in Series:13S

Source: http://www.powerstream.com/battery-capacity-calculations.htm

Total cells required: 13S x 15P = 195 cells
Individual cell spacers required = 2 x 195 = 390 cell spacers.

I will use a combination of square clip together style battery holders and pre made sections which do not clip together to provide the structure. This is to provide air between the cells as I have another plan if they are getting a bit warm for comfort 8) I have found some premade spacer arrays which use less cell spacing (thickness of plastic between the cells is smaller), allowing more cells to be stuffed into the same space yet retaining the 'easy to construct' structure. I am debating as to whether to pressure pack them, snath style, or spot weld them, or a combination of both. The advantage being of a pressure pack will be that it allows the higher usage cells to be replaced in approx. 1 - 2 years. It would be nice to whip out the old and sneak in the new. Also, Snaths design includes a nice plastic structure around the battery, protecting it in use and during insertion/removal from the frame.

There will be a pack of cells which are to be be removed and used on another bike in some instances (will still be 13S, just the capacity to be decided. Likely to be as close to half as I can get). Rodney64 had an excellent plastic/acrylic Lipo design which make them into protected bricks - which is sort of what I have in mind, yet made for a removable 18650 pack. The frame will probably also need an internal steel structure to separate the removable brick from those that aren't. Some will not be removable/in a easily useful shape due to the difference in design of the Q76R frame to the Flux Alpha.

52F828C4-8473-4356-BF15-4172934CD57E.jpg

Pack building question: I have seen discussion about current bottlenecks - how likely is this with spot welded nickel designs? Supposedly the max current I will draw will be 32a.

I am now up the key battery charging choice: BMS or balance charger. I would prefer BMS to avoid complex battery harnesses being played with when exhausted, but I've never wired one before and it's a little daunting. Given there appears to be a new thread almost daily on endless with BMS wiring questions, I take it I'm not the only one a little bamboozled. To complicate things further, there are discussions of PCB or 'not real BMS's'.

BMS requirements:
I: 27.08333a (as above). I think it would be prudent to get a BMS capable of matching the current requirements, if not exceed them. Therefore I will look to a continuous discharge/charge of 35a. I've summarised the main tech sheets for all 13S BMS from Bestech and attached them, but I'm still not really any wiser as to which is the best for me :lol:

Some posts reference Bestech, but I've never dealt with them. Bestech have loads of choices, even at the same voltage and current levels. I'm not sure which to pick or what benefits to be looking for. Others have purchased from ebay or aliexpress, then discover that they don't know how to wire them or get any form of provided diagram. I would rather figure out how this works before buying anything more.

I understand that 'real' BMSs typically bulk charge to a certain voltage, then bleed the other parallel packs to match (top down).

BMS questions:
Is 35a continuous rating for the BMS enough?
Is there a reliable BMS vendor which has diagrams and clear distinction of which BMS to pick?
Is there attributes I should be looking for?
Is it likely the BMS will be smart enough to charge a reduced pack size when a module has been removed vs full pack? (I.e. if I want to unplug half the 'P's so the remaining pack is still 13S, just reduced in capacity)
Is it possible to get a BMS which just takes the bulk charge and distributes it, turn off the charge to parallel packs are they are complete? I.e. constant balance charge rather than bleed format?

Attachments

• bms tech summary.xlsx
    99.3 KB · Views: 66
Different pre made 18650 spacers identified (for 13S or configurable to be):

Individual square type with side clips:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100X-18650-Battery-Safety-Holder-Bracket-Spacer-Radiating-CLidless-Battery-Pacck-/401018440579?hash=item5d5e8fcb83:g:pbIAAOSwo6lWMGTr

Area of space utilisation per cell:
22mm x 22mm = 484mm2

Despite being least space efficient, these allow for customisation of odd cell fitment. Will still draw out maximising space utilisation with these.

[EDIT] Had a crack at drawing these out on the template provided by Ziva... 155 cells was the max that would seem to fit, and that included several marginal cells. Squeezing one more cell in would give me 13S12P.

20160110_1333201_zpsbntxz5e6.jpg

Honeycomb:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/13S-5P-plastic-18650-cell-holder-and-container-houser-for-48V-lithium-ion-silver-fish-electric/32403940080.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.DSxhnE&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_2_10001_10002_10005_10006_10003_10004_62,searchweb201560_8,searchweb1451318400_6150

258mm x 94mm = 24,252mm2
24,252/(13S x 5P) = 373.12mm2

Will not use these further.

Square type pre made:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-4-13-52-holes-18650-battery-holder-integrated-Used-for-4P13S-48V-10ah-li/32426925172.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.136.m79eOQ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_2_79_78_77_82_80_62_81,searchweb201560_8

255mm x 57mm = 15,162mm2
15,162/(13S x 4P) = 291.58mm2

These pre made cells appear the most efficient as they are 19mm2 rather than 21mm2 like the individual dovetail/clip together type. Will be an interesting comparison to individual cell spacing to see if customisable odd cell fitment will allow for a superior number of cells.

[EDIT] drawing out these revealed more cells fit with these and theres more space for making a structure to allow for the removable pack. Total cells which can be squeezed in 13S15P, which is dead on the first calc above (I need to remove one cell from the 68 cell block before someone catches me out). I think will be the go with a removable pack on the left of 13S8P and frame around this pack of 13S7P that will always remain in the frame. Yet to figure out exactly how that will work, the pack on the left will need to be a butchered larger pre made cell pack and joined? Still thinking about the strongest way to do this and how to permanently suspend the cells without taking up too much space with structuring.

Also haven't figured out what to use to join the two 13S4P packs to make the 13S8P cell spacer structure, thinking probably epoxy (these pre made spacers do not clip together).

I've also allowed 5mm in both design attempts for foam to help prevent shocks and allow for something soft to accept the packs when placed into the frame. This may change for the removeable pack, it's likely it will need additional provision for plastic etc. Either way, with a bit more thought and drawing, I think this is where this construction will go.

This shape also allows space at the front of the frame for a BMS to be added once I work out which to buy. Most of the 35a BMS from Bestech will fit in here.

20160110_1148081_zpsrglxb2uu.jpg

Hey,
Interesting thread and build. I really like the analytical approach to design instead of the 'normal' learning as you go.
I am very curious to what BMS you chose as I am about to do a build with roughly the same specs.

If you are still in the process I might have a few tips on the wiring/electronics.

All the best,
//Rune

35a is pretty low, I mean won't you want more!!! Wiring in a bms is not a quick job so if you think there is any chance of needing more in the future- get a bigger one.
What are you using for a connection medium? .2mm nickel is my standard for low-med power. In your layout you'll need to think about current sharing between cells and make sure you series connections can handle you max amps continuously. This usually means multiple nickel strips. 8mm wide is max you can fit in the holder and .2x8mm carries aprox 8 amps so you'll need at least 4 if you never draw above 28amps.
I think you layout is going to lead to sizeable parallel connection currents but I'm not sure how your going to arrange it. Make sure you size appropriately. Pay attention to how/where you take you final power leads to/from the pack. I like to build a little loom for even current sharing then spotweld that on. Better than soldering a fat copper lead onto a single bit of nickel a undo all your hard work!
Good luck. 195 cells is a huge pack!!! I reckon you'll be right cause I can see you're proceeding thoughtfully.
Maybe do a small practice pack first.
K

Thanks guys, all help is appreciated!

I decided to completely change tack and rather than buy Bestech, I decided to buy a reasonably random Aliexpress BMS. The feedback for the seller was positive, but yes, this bad boy will need testing before used on the big pack.

Supposedly with 40a continuous and 100a peak, it should be well sufficient for my purposes. Yes, lower current than other options out there, but the purpose of this bike will mostly be commuting at a 35 km/h (~21mph). It needs to have range, not speed as it needs to easily cover 80km per charge.

BMS Link: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-48V-40A-BMS-13S-48V-54-6V-li-ion-battery-BMS-PCM-40A-continuous/1708497_32283657890.html

The justification for choosing this BMS is pretty poor - I'm buying cell holders from this vendor and it makes sense to buy as much as possible from each vendor to reduce shipping costs and its cheap entertainment. No, it's unlikely to be as good as a Bestech BMS etc..

Cell spacers: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/18650-battery-holder-3-13-39-hole-battery-bracket-3P13S-48V-li-ion-battery-holder-18650/1708497_32364665235.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-4-13-52-holes-18650-battery-holder-integrated-Used-for-4P13S-48V-10ah-li/1708497_32426925172.html

These cell spacer bricks will be cut down to fit the frame correctly. I've bought bigger than required as the frame is now here and the internal dimension available for housing the battery is different to the cut out for the opening. In other words, I may have more room than I have planned (which would be awesome) just need to work out the best way to maximise the usage of it. I haven't decided the best way to glue or fix the brickes together as of yet as they do not appear to click together as the individual spacers do. I have also purchased ~400? individual cell spacers, so if the brick design fails, I can use the (less efficient space wise) individual spacers. 8)

I haven't purchased any nickel yet. The plan was to read through the 18650 welding repository for advice on the best choice and consider the ability of the JP Welder/ what works best with that as I have also purchased one of those to make the welds. I've worked out (very roughly) by measuring the lengths of the full above cell spacer packs that 10 metres should be oodles for both testing and actually making the pack.

In other news, I'm 50/50 on abandoning the idea of separate, removeable packs. Basically plugging and unplugging is likely to result in plugging wrong voltages together and ending in tears.... given I'll be using this for commuting, charging will be occurring frequently and must remain a very simple process, as in plug/unplug the charger. The suggested alternative has been to use a switch to flip between the packs and use separate BMS per pack. Again, introduces complexity/cost and given this is the first battery pack I've made from scratch, I plan to keep it as simple as possible.

Having said that, making the pack in halves reduces the capacity in the event of a failure and may allow for switching packs (assuming it hasn't burned to the ground, just has a disconnected connection or something) could result in still being able to get home.

There's also a decent discussion thread on fusing, because thats another aspect that must be dealt with. Its likely I will fuse on all balance wires and take Oatnets advice re fusing series within the pack as well to cut down failure voltage. I think this is a really, really important decision for me, as safety is a priority and this will be charging at work as well as home - I can do without fires at work! See: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=76449

Perhaps its something I will change at a later date when I have this relatively nailed, not sure.

The minister of finance has literally decided she no longer wants a car in the garage and wants to switch to electric or human powered transport for everything. The significance is that I have the green light to spend whatever I want on ebike bits! success! 8)

Damn that IS good news! ( mff approving all things electric)
Superpower/ battery supports have Bms's that I've used a bit. They seem pretty good.
K

Nickel, JP Welder, BMS, cell spacers have all arrived. Have ordered individual and 4x cell holders to test BMS with.

Next decisions:-
Fusing
Wire gauge
Pack connections
Cell choice
packaging into frame to support battery
Heatshrink/case

Fusing:
Seems like the options are:
- Individual cell level
- per parallel pack series connection
- overall pack fuse vs circuit breaker

I will be fusing overall pack and want to fuse on the series connections. I haven't worked out exactly where this/how this will happen as it needs to remain accessible for straightforward replacement. Oatnet has wisely advised series connection fusing means that if it fails, it cuts down the voltage involved in the failure, which seems like a straightforward safety option. More discussion here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=76449#p1154237

Wire Gauge and Pack connections:
I'm stewing over how to wire the packs together. Its really tempted to create 48v 18650 bricks (no fusing within the brick), fusing on the exit. Sense wire to BMS, has same effect as welding it all together but has more connection points for failure. This would have the advantage of being easier to replace dud cells and to use the bricks for other purposes should I want to.

Connections at brick level are likely to be made by XT60 connector, haven't yet decided on the source or whether they are rated high enough (aware they are meant to be 60a, but at what voltage? Is voltage even relevant?). So far many of XT vendors selling them don't actually seem to make any statements about their rating or max current, yet some sites claim that only the original design by Amass in China and sold by HK are capable of 60a and the replicas current handling is dubious. They can be purchased with the wiring already soldered and heatshrunk just requiring soldering to the packs. Any BMS connections will be JST. Nice summary about connector choices: https://www.electricbike.com/ebike-connectors/

Wire gauge is likely to be 12 AWG to match XT60, just need to ensure the rating is sufficiently above what will be used.

Final three decisions, haven't given too much thought yet. Really tempted to test the BMS with junk 18650s first before proceeding further.

Back