Question about ideal charge cycle for my situation...

Klauts

10 W
Hello again 😅 I was just wondering what the best charging habits would be for the longevity of my new battery.

I commute 75Km daily, by the time I get to work I've got about 65% battery remaining.

If I bike home without topping up the charge at work I drain down to 30% remaining capacity on arrival.

My question is; should I top up the charge to 85-90% while at work or is it best to wait until I get home and charge from 30%?

Thank you!

"Best" and "ideal" depend first on what you need the battery and system to do for you. After that, how long a lifespan you need for the battery before you replace it comes into play, and thus consideration of how full to charge it or how empty to discharge it.

Is the percentage you note the actual percentage of Wh or Ah capacity? Or some other percentage? If you are not sure, then what equipment is being used to measure this?

First, does this specific battery, by itself (not a different one, or this one in combination with any other) take 35% of it's Wh capacity to make the trip?

(if you are using any other batteries to determine or measure any of this, then those measurements don't directly apply to this one, and you will need to provide specific Wh numbers for each battery's capacity, and preferably your Wh/km usage, to compare to this battery's Wh (which if that hasn't been measured, would have to be guesstimated based on it's stated average voltage and stated usable Ah capacity...which could be very different than it's actual Wh capacity)

Is that under even worst-case conditions?

If so, then you don't necessarily need the extra 30%, and can charge to a lower voltage (set HVC lower), and discharge to a higher one (set LVC higher).

However, there are some times you might need that extra, or even more (requiring the at-destination recharge):

If the conditions you measured under are ideal, rather than worst-case, and don't include any adverse conditions like headwinds, detours, poor road conditions, etc., you might need some or all of that capacity to get where you're going (and back).

Also, as the pack ages, it will lose capacity, and you may need those extra Wh (they may no longer be extra).

There seems to be zero penalty (in terms of battery longevity) from keeping a battery within 30-70% charge. So if you have a way to charge at work then go for it.

That is a mighty commute, big respect

Klauts said:
I commute 75Km daily, work about 65% battery remaining.
drain down to 30% remaining capacity on arrival.
My question is; should I top up the charge to 85-90% while at work or is it best to wait until I get home and charge from 30%?
Thank you!

1st - if possible charge at work, the battery lives longer if receives periodic small packets of charge instead a full time charge.
2nd - limit your ebike charger to top at 80% , if 42V add 3 diodes series at positive to limit at 40V or 4,0V per cell
3rd - save energy and pedal more :bolt: :bolt:
4th - 75Km daily is a healthy ebiking time (if U pedal more U save battery & time and get to work 20min earlier TIME IS MONEY :pancake: )

Back