question regarding 52v controller and 48v battery

leoleaf

1 mW
Had a quick question, is it possible to connect a 52v controller to a 48v li-on battery? The motor I am using is a 52v 600w brushless hub motor.

I'm wondering if you have some of the number backwards...?

But assuming you are on point, you need to know the lower voltage cut off of the controller. using a 52v controller on a 48v battery has the potential of cutting power off too early when your voltage drops below its minimum threshold.

chas58 said:
I'm wondering if you have some of the number backwards...?

But assuming you are on point, you need to know the lower voltage cut off of the controller. using a 52v controller on a 48v battery has the potential of cutting power off too early when your voltage drops below its minimum threshold.

Let me give you a bit of background to my query. I actually have an Inokim Quick 3 scooter, 48v 400w. I am researching on Alibaba/aliexpress for dualtron 1 motor (52v 600w brushless and has same specs as any other 10" brushless hub tire) and Dualtron I controller but I still want to keep my current 48v stock Samsung battery (only reason why I am not yet deciding to upgrade battery is that I have yet to find a higher voltage battery that I can put in the current housing of the frame).

The idea is to replace the stock controller and motor with Dualtron 1 controller and motor both rated 52v according to their official website. I understand that with the current stock battery the voltage will probably cut off at the 48v mark right even though the new controller is capable of 52v but the battery cannot output that amount? So now my question is a) do I have to worry about any component overheating issues? b) what kind of top speed can I expect with the above configuration/specifications because with everything stock, I am limited to 30km/hr

Thank you in advance for your help, I very much appreciate any and all advice/knowledge, I am simply trying to learn more before I make an informed decision :)

Ah, thanks for the additional info. Batteries are expensive, you don’t need to replace it.

You ask a good question.

The real question is what is the LVC (cutout voltage) of a 48v controller and the 52v controller. They very well could be the same as it is not unusual to use a 48v controller with a 52v battery. But you need to know, otherwise you won't be able to get the duration you expect out of your battery. It’s a critical question.

a) No. That is a pretty minor change.
b) Your bike will be a little faster. Speed increases linearly with voltage, so your speed will increase by 52/48 (8% faster).

P.S. You are welcome. 

chas58 said:
Ah, thanks for the additional info. Batteries are expensive, you don’t need to replace it.

You ask a good question.

The real question is what is the LVC (cutout voltage) of a 48v controller and the 52v controller. They very well could be the same as it is not unusual to use a 48v controller with a 52v battery. But you need to know, otherwise you won't be able to get the duration you expect out of your battery. It’s a critical question.

a) No. That is a pretty minor change.
b) Your bike will be a little faster. Speed increases linearly with voltage, so your speed will increase by 52/48 (8% faster).

P.S. You are welcome. 

Thank you very much!
How would I go about find out what the cuttout voltage is? Alternatively, the other option would be to create my own 52v battery to fit the housing of the frame.
What are your recommendations on getting a larger speed increase with my current configuration?

You're keeping the original battery. Replacing with a motor rated for 52V and appropriate controller. I don't see you going much faster until you change the battery.

A 48V controller usually is set for 40V LVC, which is 3.1V/cell for a 13S battery. So a 52V controller would set LVC for a 14S battery at 43 volts (14 x 3.1). You will lose a little bit of range out of your 48V battery, but that's operating in the miserable low end of the battery anyway.

docw009 said:
You're keeping the original battery. Replacing with a motor rated for 52V and appropriate controller. I don't see you going much faster until you change the battery.

A 48V controller usually is set for 40V LVC, which is 3.1V/cell for a 13S battery. So a 52V controller would set LVC for a 14S battery at 43 volts (14 x 3.1). You will lose a little bit of range out of your 48V battery, but that's operating in the miserable low end of the battery anyway.

Thanks, my next move will be to make up some plans and try to alter/mod the battery housing compartment to make way for a 52v battery. According to your advise, the battery bottleneck will give me the speed I am looking for.

Back