R³ Hybrid Technology Solutions conversion process explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Persanity said:
Electric transmissions are more efficient then automatic or standard transmissions. There is no debating that.

If you disagree then you need to do research on the field I have been studying as a hobby for over 10 years.

http://serieshybrid.com/FreedomFormula/images/Drivetrain_Comparison.pdf

No, you've completely misunderstood the reason why that fairly silly pdf says series hybrids are more efficient.

If you've all ready got mechanical power somewhere, a twisting shaft from an engine for example, you're not going to put it to the ground any more efficiently than directly coupling it with a drive-shaft or chain or gear or sprocket etc. Every energy conversion suffers efficiency losses, let's say that you're going for super efficiency at high power with PMBLDC gen/motor to go from the engine to a generator (~93%) to controller (~98%) to traction motor (~93%) and cabling loss (99.5%), you're looking at an optimistic 84% combined system efficiency, and this assumes the traction motor has no further drivetrain losses to the wheel (like a hubmotor).

In the event you're looking to get decent performance, AKA, not running the generator at it's maximum output to maintain your maximum economy cruise speed, you're going to be suffering substantial core losses just to turn that generator and traction motor. This is why AC induction motors or series-wound DC motors start to make sense for high performance EV's, because a PM motor that can output 200hp may have 10hp purely of core loss to make it spin at your cruising speed where you might only require 20hp at the wheels to be moving down the road, but you're stuck sending the motor 30hp because you've gotta eat that 10hp of core-loss overhead. So, you need to generate 50% more power than you require to cruise. Now on the generator side, you have the same penalty, making the engine need to generate 40hp of mechanical power to deliver your cruising power needs of 20hp. This makes your system efficiency during cruising sub 50%...

So, you go to induction generator/motor or a series DC so your core loss is small while cruising, but you're still able to have decent performance when you want it. Now your under high power efficiency is about the same as under high loads as light loads, about 85% for some well designed stuff. So, 85% gen 98% controller 85% traction motor 99.5% cabling, and your combined system efficiency is ~70%.

I know from dyno'ing plenty of racecar engine builds in and out of the car, that a Honda FWD engine/transmission/axles/wheels/tire to dyno roller interface, that 88% system loss from engine to the rubber of the tire on the roller.

Persanity said:
If you think those people won't pay an extra 2-5- or even 10 grand for a transmission and power management system that more the doubles then fuel efficiency of their 20k engine, well your wrong.

If you think somebody driving a late model car won't spend 2-3 grand to double the gas mileage of a car they cant afford to replace your wrong there too.

I pay 20k for race engines for my racecars (though I try to keep them under 10k these days). I would happily pay 10k for something that would give my vehicle an advantage. However, this would only give my vehicle an advantage in drive train wear and service intervals (which I don't really care about). This is why you see locomotives using series diesel systems, no clutch to slip or torque converter to heat fluids and/or tranny bands to slip while taking off from a stop, starting from a stop on a mountain pass, etc, situations where mechanical drivetrains would rapidly wear out.

Persanity said:
Do most painters know how to make paint from various off the shelf solutions? No, they buy premade paint.
That doesn't mean they don't know how paint is made... there are economies of scale.

Similarly, few EVers wind motors, or build controllers, or cast transmission cases, design frames or do FEMM analysis on stator profiles - But members here do (and share the knowledge freely for any and all). Some members have worked on the systems you describe. One has even shared his recipe for paint. :lol:

You came to the experts, who bring talents of every kind, from every corner of the globe. You are getting the feedback from some of the very best minds you will find, informed by decades of collective knowledge. Being dismissive of that feedback does not make your position any more convincing.

If you ever get a shot at venture capital investors in a pitch-tank, I can guarantee you arguing that "it will work, you just don't understand" will get you nothing.

I apologize for presenting a idea I can't fully share with everybody here.

I am not going to be posting in this thread anymore.

It is way too frustrating for me not being able to give details when people are telling me I am wrong or crazy or whatever it is people think I am.

Really, Thank you all.

Aaron.

BTW, One other purpose of all this is to design systems that ANYBODY can install, not just people with the skills to make their own stuff. That should NOT be the point of DIY. DIY should make it easy and available to everybody to accomplish with minimal to no skill.

Oh, look, could that be where the importance of a no battery design comes into play?

Wouldn't want grandma electrocuting herself when shes converting over her car would we......

Persanity said:
http://www.emavcompany.com/
Maybe that is more interesting to people here
So far they are delivering campers. Interesting.

Last press release: Nov. 2010

"Many new electronic patents have and are being created in the on going development of the vehicle. " Nada.

The PRU: "Scheduled for 2011 Market Entry". No prototype even.

Persanity said:
Electric transmissions are more efficient then automatic or standard transmissions. There is no debating that.

See efficiency of Chevy Volt in charge-sustaining mode vs. efficiency of a non-PHEV Prius as a real-world rebuttal.

Persanity said:
The people that will buy the first conversion systems are people that buy $20,000 performance combustion engines for their weekend driver.

If you think those people won't pay an extra 2-5- or even 10 grand for a transmission and power management system that more the doubles then fuel efficiency of their 20k engine, well your wrong.

If you think somebody driving a late model car won't spend 2-3 grand to double the gas mileage of a car they cant afford to replace your wrong there too.

The people buying $20k crate engines are building racecars or dragstrip specials. That crew generally could care less about fuel efficiency.

I don't believe that you can double gas mileage on a "normal" car for $3k... unless your talk of series hybrid retrofits is a smokescreen and you're just on planning on leaving the ICE drivetrain in place, installing a huge nosecone and a Kamm back, driving 45 mph in top gear on a flat road, and then calling it a day.

Persanity said:
I apologize for presenting a idea I can't fully share with everybody here.

I am not going to be posting in this thread anymore.

It is way too frustrating for me not being able to give details when people are telling me I am wrong or crazy or whatever it is people think I am.

Really, Thank you all.

Aaron.

BTW, One other purpose of all this is to design systems that ANYBODY can install, not just people with the skills to make their own stuff. That should NOT be the point of DIY. DIY should make it easy and available to everybody to accomplish with minimal to no skill.

Oh, look, could that be where the importance of a no battery design comes into play?

Wouldn't want grandma electrocuting herself when shes converting over her car would we......

That's too bad. I was getting a kick ( :) ) out of your posts. Maybe you'll come back after learning more. Maybe a bit of school might come in handy?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mod Edit: And so the thread of the knowledge of revolutionary marketing, or lossless electrical tranmissions shall lie locked for another time and place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back