Raleigh MTB with MAC 500W & fibreglass panels (AUS)

Hi Stuart,

the 8T was exactly what i had in mind, but recently had thought of getting the 12 fet controller. I definitely wouldn't need anymore grunt than what your bike could do, but thought to get the 12 fet in case i decided i wanted to build something bigger down the track. (would be a different bike than my current)

My mind has been bouncing back and forth between the the kit you mentioned, and cell_man's 1000w kit which had the 12 fet..

http://www.emissions-free.com/catalog/i24.html

Which ever kit i went with though, i was definitely going to ask for the 8T winding, as its a great allrounder from what i have read and it already has a top speed faster than i would dare to go on my bike. (the default for the 1000w kit was a 6T). So the bigger controller was going to be more than i needed for now but seemed not much more money. The other thing that i was keen on was this 3 speed switch and Cycle Analyst connector. It didnt mention those on the 500W kits even though i think you can get it for any of those controllers.

The 35kph speed with a bit of pedal is exactly what i would be using the bike for at the moment.. The bike I got is only a Giant Rincon about 5 years old. It has an alloy frame, so would definitely have to make some steel torque arms.. It did come out with cable disk brakes though, but has an 8 gear cassette on the back. I think i will need to change that to a 7 or 5 gear rear to fit with the motor and may need to make a mod similar to yours to fit the caliper from rubbing the motor. Either that or look into a thinner caliper.

At this stage, I am certain i want the 8T motor, unsure between the 9 or 12 fet controller. I am sure both are plenty for me, but its that "future proof" thought in my head that is confusing me. They are not much different in price, and i wonder if i use the 12 fet, can i program the controller to not use the higher current, thus getting more run out of a battery charge more like the 9 fet would... Or even use that 3 speed switch to force only partial throttle.. That way i can have the bike i want now, but still have the larger current controller at hand if i ever decide i want to build bigger later. Any idea if a 12 fet controller can be used as though it was a 9, just by programming it?

There seems to be a few batteries to choose from and i certainly need to read more about them. You happy with the Ping? I have heard awesome comments about the Ping batteries on this forum. I also need to consider shipping charges too. Might be cheaper to just get the batteries from cell_man and combine the shipping cost with my kit, than to get the battery from Ping. Not sure, and don't know which of the two battery types suits my needs better. From what i have read, for commuting the ping battery is safer, and will live for longer than lipo (especially for an unexperienced person like me). For racing (which i am not doing) i read that lipo is better for more hard bursts of power. Something about 2C and 30C i read. If what i read is right, then the Ping might be the one for me. I want to commute, and don't want to burn my house down while charging.. I am not sure about the A123 ones from cell_man yet.. need to read more about those batteries too as many people use and like them too. This forum is the beez neez for all this info though.. I just need more time to read it. Heaps more time.. Shoulda listened to my teacher years ago when they taught speed reading.. lol.

Sorry to write all this on your thread.. I really should move this to its own, so as to not side track from the real spotlight, which is your fiberglassed beast.

I will make my first thread now.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34224

Cheers,

Tuna.

Great Work! :D

I especially like the pic in your sig with the black panel in the middle of your covers to break up the aesthetic look of the panel.

Do you have any larger pics to post of it?

I also love that disc rear brake mount, much like the A to Z commercial one (too bad they aren't made anymore! :( )

G'day LI-ghtcycle,
I've been playing around with the colours on the panels, just to see how different things look. I flattened off the red paint and added the black part in the centre. I'm open to any suggestions of what may or may not look good! :D

The rear disc brake mount worked out pretty well. I did have a look around for a commerical one, but they were either really expensive or no longer available.

-Stuart

r12.JPG

r13.JPG

Stuart, the red was really nice, but screamed "electric moped". The black breaks up the red and from a distance would look like a frame. Dunno, just a thought. Great build!

TonyReynolds said:
Stuart, the red was really nice, but screamed "electric moped". The black breaks up the red and from a distance would look like a frame. Dunno, just a thought. Great build!

G'day TR,
Thanks for that, you are spot on - When I repainted it I wanted it to look a little bit more like a bike and less of something else from a distance! I just gave it a quick mask and spray job to see what it looked like, I'll probably redo it again at some point and round the edges of the black a little bit.

-Stuart

gm6046 said:
G'day LI-ghtcycle,
I've been playing around with the colours on the panels, just to see how different things look. I flattened off the red paint and added the black part in the centre. I'm open to any suggestions of what may or may not look good! :D

The rear disc brake mount worked out pretty well. I did have a look around for a commerical one, but they were either really expensive or no longer available.

-Stuart

r12.JPG

r13.JPG

Heya gm, greetings from across the pond. :)

You've solved the "problem" I have had with all my designs with a similar battery cover.

The solid covers always made for a "non-bicycle" look that I never cared for but couldn't put my finger on a solution, thanks for sharing yours! 8)

I have used some of the left over stock of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Mount-Tabless-Frame-DM-UNI/dp/B002R3D9EC

ref=dp_image_0

But as you say, they aren't made anymore.

Hi Guys,
The bike has just ticked over 2000kms so I thought that I would refresh the thread. It's basically been a trouble free run with it, I'm very happy with both the MAC motor and the Ping battery.

The rear tyre is showing more wear on one side than the other. I think it may be because I slightly offset the rear wheel in the frame using a washer to increase the disc rotor to frame clearance. Does that sound like a reasonable explanation? Or could there be another issue?

Either way, I'm using it most days instead of my car which is good and I'm looking forward to seeing how many kilometres I will have traveled on it by the end of the year! :D

Cheers
Stuart

Go the Mighty Mac !!!

2000 kms and still going strong is awesome. I wonder what the typical life span is for these motors.

Mine is up to 450kms and used around 100Ah so far. Very very happy with it. I looked at my rear tyre, (cos id spaced mine similar to yours) and didnt notice extra wear on one side as yet. Will take a look in better light next chance i get.

Did you end up fitting a CA or the watt meter? I finally fitted the camera to the handle bars but most of my commuting is in the dark now that winter is here. Will have to remember to record a run on the way to work in the morning.

Anyway, good to see your beast is still running like new and it has done over 4 times the kms of mine.

Nice work mate..

Ed.

I have 3000 miles on my older gray mac with the white nylon gears and other than a cracked sideplate near the freewheel threads (this is very common, just a poor sideplate design which is easily replaceable), it's been perfect with no signs of wear or problems.

The new black macs have better composite gears. I expect 20k+ miles before I need to do any replacing gears/clutch on it.

Your tire could wear unevenly due to the banking of the road. That's what I've noticed since I started cycling many years ago.

Still love the look of this bike - hope to see it on a future group ride around Melbourne one day!
Was glad to see the update,
Sam.

G'day Ed,
It's good to hear that your bike is going well too. I ended up getting a Cycle Analyst for it but I haven't had time to fit it yet, with the rainy weather here I might be able to get it done! I never depended on a bike before, but now that I use it everyday I really miss it if I need to take it off the road for something! Although I don't think that fitting the CA will take too long!

Veloman,
Thanks for the feedback on your MAC mileage. I'm quietly confident that my MAC should be able to outlast the bike, I'm very happy with it so far. It's an interesting point that you make about the banking of the roads because the wear on the tyre is on that particular side. It's not so bad that it is a big problem, but it is certainly noticable to the eye. The front tyre is wearing evenly but there is a lot less weight on it.

Sam,
I'll definitely have to make time for one of the Melbourne (or Ballarat!) rides. I'm quite surprised how many other ebikes I see on the bike paths etc just in my local area. They are usually just the store-bought ones, nothing too wild.

-Stu

Back